Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-08-2014, 10:14   #1

Boat: Pearson 323
Seahood Paint Job

Well, I ordered a fiberglass seahood for retrofit on my Pearson 323, and of course, I ordered the wrong gelcoat color -- off-white, instead of white! So, I intend to paint it to match, and I was looking for advice.

(1) Recommended coating. I don't know much about this...can I paint directly over gelcoat, or must I go with a new gelcoat? I should mention that the seahood is currently installed, so I don't want to take it off the boat, if I can avoid it.

(2) Paint recommendations (if applicable)?

(3) Surface prep. Must I strip off the old gelcoat, or is roughing the surface sufficient? The current surface does does have some molded in roughness, but it may be too coarse to allow good adhesion with a new coating.

(4) I was also considering some anti-skid paint over a large portion of the seahood. In this case, it would be two coatings -- one for the anti-skid area, and one for the trim areas to match the existing deck color. Any issues with the interface between the anti-skid, and the trim area coating?

Thanks.
StringBimini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2014, 11:30   #2

Boat: Seafarer36c
Re: Seahood Paint Job

I think the experts would say, sand and prime then LPU.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2014, 18:20   #3
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat
Re: Seahood Paint Job

Go with new gel. Find someone who can color match your existing gel and finish the part before installation.

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hood, paint