Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-08-2018, 04:19   #31

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283
Re: Seahawks islands 44 issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by rourkeh View Post
Used Islands 44 three coats over two years ago and boat has been sitting in shallow hot dirty water for more than a year and it is just about time to redo the bottom. Nothing else I have ever used lasts this long or works this well. Use the booster additive. Application is VERY important or it will fall off, also if you hire a monkey to clean your bottom with a scraper and a wire BBQ brush no bottom paint will last.
Totally agree. We did two seasons. Note that even the HARD is quite soft. https://www.seahawkpaints.com/produc...4-plus-harder/ Note this paint has TBT. Not allowed to be sold in the US
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2018, 09:04   #32

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
Yes, it is illegal to sell, apply or use it in the U.S. and most other seafaring nations. Take it to your local household hazardous waste collection site.

I presumed the OP was not in the us where private owners may not obtain 44.

FYI. Available throughout the Caribbean. I have found it in chandleries from Nanny Cay to Trinidad. It is still used in the US or it’s far more toxic cousins on commercial and military vessels. All get waivers, all have enormously larger bottoms. Toxic paint issues were noted only in a few US basins with poor flushing. It was then made illegal for private use everywhere. The issue of fouling along with ethanol destroying my engines, stranding me at sea was deemed unimportant by legislators. At least in the Caribbean my motor runs and I don’t need to haul and repaint which adds an annual load of additional toxins each time. Far better to reapply two or three years apart with no scraping. 44 is so effective that you don’t scrub any of it off over the life of the paint. I assist my cruising mates scrape with scotch brite every time they need to up anchor because they are using inferior paint. This sluffs off in great toxic clouds in the lagoon.

This is not unlike herbicides and pesticides not available unless you are a licensed applicator or farmer.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2018, 09:17   #33
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholson58 View Post
t is still used in the US or it’s far more toxic cousins on commercial and military vessels.
100% completely untrue. Where do you get this drivel? TbT paints were banned worldwide and not because they "were noted only in a few US basins with poor flushing." The damage caused by these paints decades ago is still being recorded today. And while the US Navy can use anything they like on their bottoms, they are actually a leader in non-toxic anti fouling research. In any event, they do not use TbT paints on ANY of their vessels. Do you know why? Because the Navy has to do business in ports all over the world and in almost every one of those ports, TbT paints have been banned. Same goes for commercial shipping. And there is no special dispensation for them.

I understand that you feel the need to justify poisoning the planet so that you can have a clean bottom. But maybe you should consider being part of the solution instead of being part of the problem.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2018, 11:06   #34

Boat: 48' Alu Cat

I antifouled my boat in March this year in Trinidad with 3 full coats of Seahawk 44 Harder and an additional coat around the waterline.
Within 4 month the paint was polished off, not peeled off, in some areas down to the primer.

My rudders and dagger boards were painted with ablative Pacifica Plus, this paint is still intact.

There is obviously a problem with the Seahawk 44. Has anybody got a similar problem with Seahawk 44?
The company rep. seems to think I'm the only one.
Seman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2018, 12:38   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seman View Post
I antifouled my boat in March this year in Trinidad with 3 full coats of Seahawk 44 Harder and an additional coat around the waterline.
Within 4 month the paint was polished off, not peeled off, in some areas down to the primer.

My rudders and dagger boards were painted with ablative Pacifica Plus, this paint is still intact.

There is obviously a problem with the Seahawk 44. Has anybody got a similar problem with Seahawk 44?
The company rep. seems to think I'm the only one.
You didn't mention whether the Islands 44 was applied over another bottom paint. If so it will not stick. It is great paint and used a lot in Fl and Carribean waters.
C Skip R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2018, 06:25   #36

Boat: 48' Alu Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by C Skip R View Post
You didn't mention whether the Islands 44 was applied over another bottom paint. If so it will not stick. It is great paint and used a lot in Fl and Carribean waters.
If the paint doesn't stick to existing paint, it will peel off.
My paint is polished or worn off.
There are 2 other boats with the same problem, the boats were professionally primed and painted. Same paint, different colour!
Seman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2018, 08:52   #37
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
It is great paint and used a lot in Fl... waters.
It's illegal to use in the U.S., chief. Just sayin'.
Old 22-05-2019, 09:34   #38

We were the unlucky recipients of four gallons of the Islands 44 Plus Hard that is failing. We had it applied in Grenada and sat in Prickly Bay after splashing on April 9, 2018. By the end of June, big patches of primer were visible along the waterline and it grew and grew. I've been dealing with Seahawk for almost a year now. Hopefully it's going to be resolved in the next week or two, but it is going to cost us some money. Not a happy camper.
T Swart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2020, 20:43   #39

Boat: Lagoon 420

Thought I would add to this thread as well (I posted this in a new thread as well).

Our boat was hauled at Bradford Marine in Freeport, Bahamas during December 2019 for bottom paint and other work. The bottom paint is Islands 44 Plus Harder.

The Islands 44 Plus bottom paint application was a saga. It was applied directly over the prior paint. Constant blisters - mainly on the outer starboard hull and keel and to a lesser extent on the port hull - developed in the paint, right up to the day of splashing the boat 2 weeks after painting started. Bradford re-coated the blistered areas several times, sometimes with sanding and a barrier coat, sometimes with sanding only, and sometimes without either sanding or barrier coat. Usually the re-coated areas were done in neat squares as it was rolled on in patches of varying sizes...

So, boat prep sub par. Based on what I know now this won't last...

This is the condition of the bottom ~3 weeks after application in the video below. During that time the boat was at a slip facing north, with about equal daily sun on the port vs starboard sides. I was expecting to see blisters and peeling, and instead found a jungle of growth mostly in nice square patches on the troublesome starboard hull but also other areas where Bradford "fixed" blistering issues.

Thoughts, comments? Where is this going?

rudykruger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2020, 21:26   #40
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Seahawks islands 44 issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudykruger View Post

Thoughts, comments? Where is this going?

When you apply an anti fouling paint that has been banned by almost every seafaring nation on the planet because of its horrific effect on the environment, you get what you deserve. No sympathy here, chief. I hope this costs you thousands.
Old 15-01-2020, 05:11   #41

Boat: Hatteras CPMY 63’

Bump to top
Woodland Hills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2020, 07:29   #42

Boat: Lagoon 420

Quote:
When you apply an anti fouling paint that has been banned by almost every seafaring nation on the planet because of its horrific effect on the environment...
I know, and isn’t it fabulous?!

Quote:
...you get what you deserve. No sympathy here, chief. I hope this costs you thousands.
You're a cutie
rudykruger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2020, 09:42   #43
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

So what kind of wear are people getting as far as miles per coat especially on higher speed boats. It's seems like my boat really wears off the paint, especially anything not very hard.

44 is available here in Panama, but very expensive at $300+ per gallon. I guess if you never have to clean it, maybe it last 2 years before wearing thin on a cat.

Of course, at the moment just sitting here.
Old 26-04-2020, 18:56   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy30 View Post
So what kind of wear are people getting as far as miles per coat especially on higher speed boats. It's seems like my boat really wears off the paint, especially anything not very hard.

44 is available here in Panama, but very expensive at $300+ per gallon. I guess if you never have to clean it, maybe it last 2 years before wearing thin on a cat.

Of course, at the moment just sitting here.
Its definitely expensive over $500 gal in the Caribbean. It should last you a minimum of two years and probably three. It cannot be applied over any bottom paint except islands 44.
C Skip R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2020, 19:47   #45
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
It cannot be applied over any bottom paint except islands 44.
Well, that is apparently simply not the case:

However there are many reasons you should not use Islands 44.