Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-12-2015, 09:56   #16
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Re: Seahawks islands 44 issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by C Skip R View Post
I have used SH Islands 44 for the past 10 yrs. Only had to apply it 3 times in 10 yrs. The last time it was applied was the new hard. Wouldn't use any other paint.
Also illegal to sell, apply or use in the U.S., BTW. Glad to see that you are so concerned about being a good steward of the environment.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 15:55   #17
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

We ended up using 4 4l tins of seajet platinum (2 part) for 2 1/2 good coats. Price about $250/ tin. This is what lagoon uses ex factory. Supposedly similar to micron 66 medium ablative, although it seems quite hard. Had a major hassle with barnacles and ended up sanding a lot of the boat back to gel coat. 3 days on the random orbital sander...fun...
Because we went back to gel coat we also applied seajet primer. I'll report back on the outcome in 18 months hopefully...
We also applied prop speed to the props and had a few issues with the primer gelling so we will see how long that lasts. So far so good but only a month of sailing since we hauled out at Grenada marine. Grenada marine was ok, a pretty nice little yard but we didn't have any work done by the yard contractors (who quoted me USD$2000) just to sand the old antifoul.
Quite a few boat owners were having hassles getting their works finished by the yard as they seem to leave things to the last minute. Who woulda thunk it in the Caribbean?
If I had realised the extent of the work required I'd likely have sailed to Trinidad and had it done there. Itchy skin from dry sanding antifoul and applying new antifoul then cleaning it off with thinners reminded me of my boatbuilding days, grinding fibreglass in engine bays..
Well what doesn't kill us makes us stronger (or dead quicker..)

As far as the seahawk issues, a lot of cruisers had replacement paint supplied and possible haul outs paid for by seahawk so I guess they had a bad batch.
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 17:03   #18
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

16L of paint for a 40' boat? That seems like a huge amount of paint.
Old 04-12-2015, 17:04   #19
Marine Service Provider

Is it illegal to use TBT paint you already own? What are you supposed to do with it?
Old 04-12-2015, 17:21   #20
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy30 View Post
Is it illegal to use TBT paint you already own? What are you supposed to do with it?
Yes, it is illegal to sell, apply or use it in the U.S. and most other seafaring nations. Take it to your local household hazardous waste collection site.
Old 04-12-2015, 17:29   #21

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun

Quote:
We put 6 gallons of bottom paint on my boat.
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 18:48   #22

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot

Quote:
Put it on when you go back to the bahamas

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 05:06   #23

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
That is what it takes to put 3 coats on our 40' boat - and our hull area is less than a L400. So that amount for 2 coats on a L400 sounds about right to me.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 05:09   #24

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by monte View Post
We ended up using 4 4l tins of seajet platinum (2 part) for 2 1/2 good coats. Price about $250/ tin. This is what lagoon uses ex factory. Supposedly similar to micron 66 medium ablative, although it seems quite hard. Had a major hassle with barnacles and ended up sanding a lot of the boat back to gel coat. 3 days on the random orbital sander...fun...
Because we went back to gel coat we also applied seajet primer. I'll report back on the outcome in 18 months hopefully...
I got lost here - you are going back to Seajet Platinum after having major barnacle issues with it previously?

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 05:22   #25
Marine Service Provider

Guess its good I stuck to 34' this time. I put over 3 coats of ABC on using less than 10L.

On my heavy displacement 43' ketch I got about 1 coat per 3 quarts using Hydrocoat which rolls out pretty good.

I also always use a 4" roller and a small custom roller tray. It would be interesting to weigh all rollers, trays, and brushes before and after a bottom job as I was always shocked at how much seems to dry up and be wasted when using big rollers. There is almost no wastage when using a small roller and tray.
Old 05-12-2015, 05:52   #26
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

Yes Mark. Painting in the Caribbean heat, I found the paint went on a lot thicker than previously so I'd say 2 thick coats would equal 3 normal coats in cooler climates. Our previous antifoul was applied ex factory so I'm hoping part of the reason for needing to renew it was that it was applied fast and thin. I'm also thinking a few weeks in the st martin lagoon took a year off its life with the scrubbing required afterwards. We will see...
Seahawk wasn't an option due to the quality issues (and of course environmental issues FB)
Micron 66 was but it required a barrier coat which I didn't expect to have to apply when I bought the seajet. Btw sherry at Grenada wholesale has micron for $250/gallon.
Also I read a post online where someone had used seajet and micron 66 on their yacht in the Caribbean over different seasons and found the seajet slightly better. I was also considering coppercoat but decided against it due to the preparation involved. In hindsight sailing to trini and having coppercoat applied may have been preferable.
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 06:02   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
Also illegal to sell, apply or use in the U.S., BTW. Glad to see that you are so concerned about being a good steward of the environment.
Paint is sold and put on in the Bahamas. My boat is kept in the Bahamas where its legal.
C Skip R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 06:54   #28
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
My boat is kept in the Bahamas where its legal.
I doubt that is true, considering what you wrote in the "Hard or Soft Bottom Paint" thread:

Quote:
(Sea Hawk Islands 44) has worked well for me and we have many users here in FL.
And even if it is true, using a TBT paint legally is still a dick move.
Old 05-12-2015, 07:05   #29
Marine Service Provider

I looked in all stores last winter and did not see any TBT paint in the Bahamas. I'd don't believe it's any longer available. Did not inquire about ordering.
Old 05-12-2015, 07:32   #30

Quote:
I looked in all stores last winter and did not see any TBT paint in the Bahamas. I'd don't believe it's any longer available. Did not inquire about ordering.
Yes its still available in the Bahamas that was a rumor. A friend just picked up some last week.
C Skip R is offline   Reply With Quote