Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-08-2013, 12:38   #1
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Kimberton PA
Boat: Cabo Rico 38 / Bayfield 32
Posts: 573
Images: 1
Seacocks for above the waterline?

Is it ever a good idea to have seacocks on thruhulls that are above the waterline? I'm thinking of things like the chain-locker drains and the air-conditioning outlet. I'm not sure if it would be prudent to be able to close these for off-shore passages, or just a waste of bronze.
__________________

__________________
Saltyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2013, 12:42   #2
Moderator
 
Dockhead's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Cowes (Winter), Baltic (Summer) (the boat!); somewhere in the air (me!)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Posts: 19,751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltyhog
Is it ever a good idea to have seacocks on thruhulls that are above the waterline? I'm thinking of things like the chain-locker drains and the air-conditioning outlet. I'm not sure if it would be prudent to be able to close these for off-shore passages, or just a waste of bronze.
A very good question. Mine haven't worked in4 years. Once in a while I think about replacing them.
__________________

__________________
"Parce que je suis heureux en mer, et peut-Ítre pour sauver mon ame. . . "
Dockhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2013, 12:49   #3
Senior Cruiser
 
Cheechako's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Skagit City, WA
Posts: 19,369
Re: Seacocks for above the waterline?

I think there would certainly be nothing wrong with it. Always a good idea to be able to shut off the influx of water, offshore above the waterline openings often are below!
__________________
"I spent most of my money on Booze, Broads and Boats. The rest I wasted" - Elmore Leonard











Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2013, 12:52   #4
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Kimberton PA
Boat: Cabo Rico 38 / Bayfield 32
Posts: 573
Images: 1
Re: Seacocks for above the waterline?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
A very good question. Mine haven't worked in4 years. Once in a while I think about replacing them.
Did the boat come that way from the factory, or were they (above waterline seacocks) added at some point. The reason I ask is that if Moody saw fit to add them, they'd likely have a good reason. Builders generally don't add cost needlessly.
__________________
Saltyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2013, 12:53   #5
Registered User
 
svmariane's Avatar

Join Date: May 2007
Location: Currently in South Pacific. Home Port: Vienna, Austria
Boat: Celestial, Stay'sl-Rigged Sloop, 48 ft
Posts: 1,164
Re: Seacocks for above the waterline?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltyhog View Post
Is it ever a good idea to have seacocks on thruhulls that are above the waterline? I'm thinking of things like the chain-locker drains and the air-conditioning outlet. I'm not sure if it would be prudent to be able to close these for off-shore passages, or just a waste of bronze.
Does the boat sometimes heel when underway, putting those outlets below the waterline? If they could spend hours, or even days, in that position then what, really, differentiates them from, say, the motor cooling water intake?

Probability of failure: low. Costs of failure: med to high.

Usually, tacking would get the failed point back above the waterline. But stuff happens, usually at inopportune moments. Worst case: clawing off a lee shore and a lee-side through hull scrapes a rock.

Just my thoughts...

James
__________________
"Being offended is not the same thing as being right." Dave Barry.
Note: Offense is always taken, never given.
When life hands you lemons..... add gin & tonic!
svmariane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2013, 13:14   #6
Senior Cruiser
 
rebel heart's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 6,190
Images: 3
Re: Seacocks for above the waterline?

I've put cheaper plastic valves on the well-above-the-waterline fittings. My holding tank vent is maybe 1' under the deck level, so it's conceivable that it will be under the water sometimes when heeled. If water goes in it just drains out: the holding tank is gravity draining and any conditions where water is coming in would clearly be fine for discharging overboard.

Kind of depends on what it is. Another problem with sea cocks is they're not small.
__________________
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2013, 13:34   #7
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Kimberton PA
Boat: Cabo Rico 38 / Bayfield 32
Posts: 573
Images: 1
Re: Seacocks for above the waterline?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
I've put cheaper plastic valves on the well-above-the-waterline fittings. My holding tank vent is maybe 1' under the deck level, so it's conceivable that it will be under the water sometimes when heeled. If water goes in it just drains out: the holding tank is gravity draining and any conditions where water is coming in would clearly be fine for discharging overboard.

Kind of depends on what it is. Another problem with sea cocks is they're not small.
I had not even thought about the holding tank vent. Mine is pretty high on the hull, but I suppose it *could* fill the tank. Hmmm....
__________________
Saltyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2013, 13:57   #8
Registered User
 
Matt sachs's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: East Tennessee
Boat: 1989 50 ft Roberts
Posts: 859
Images: 18
Re: Seacocks for above the waterline?

I have them. They are 4 feet above the water line, a foot below the gunnel. I suspect i will never need to close them but if i do, they are in place.
__________________
Matt sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2013, 14:08   #9
Senior Cruiser
 
rebel heart's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 6,190
Images: 3
Re: Seacocks for above the waterline?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltyhog View Post
I had not even thought about the holding tank vent. Mine is pretty high on the hull, but I suppose it *could* fill the tank. Hmmm....
Just make sure your tank drains gravity style and no big deal.
__________________

__________________
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
water

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:18.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.