Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-09-2015, 19:12   #1

Sea Hawk Bottom Paint Peeling at Thru Hulls

14 months ago I painted my bottom with 2 coats of Sea Hawk Monterey water based antifouling paint. I hauled today and found that the paint had extensively peeled around all thru hull fittings and my ground plates. It seems like there is some reaction with bronze that causes the paint to degrade. The area of affected paint was as much as 6" all around the thru hulls.

Could this be a problem with my bonding of the thru hulls? If so, why all of them vs just a few that may have lost good bonding? I plan to repaint later this week. Any ideas to improve adhesion?

Thanks in advance.
Surfnski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2015, 19:20   #2
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Re: Sea Hawk Bottom Paint Peeling at Thru Hulls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfnski View Post
Could this be a problem with my bonding of the thru hulls?
More likely the thru-hulls were not properly primed before painting.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2015, 06:11   #3

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

You could have an electrical issue if the paint is bubbling or peeling around the thruhulls. Is your anode also depleting quickly? Are you plugged into shore power a lot? What are your thruhulls bonded to?

Debonding the thruhulls would help with this, but then you need to address the underlying issue.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2015, 09:19   #4

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Too much zinc protection can also cause that.
You don't even need to be plugged into shore for it to happen.

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2015, 09:34   #5

I think you it on the head, you have a bonding issue, or a shore power issue.. Or if you are operating a SSB radio and all is bonded to that ... might be that.
It may be telling you something you need to know. I would likely unbond things.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2015, 09:53   #6

Boat: 1965 Pearson Alberg 35 #190

I've never used the water based Seahawk , I just put the 1 st coat of Tropic oat on this morning. The previous coats have been on two years and still in good condition. I had to stop my bottom guy from getting too aggressive with the sanding. Seahawks gives a one year warranty on their paint. I don't buy the electrolysis theory; usually, if you have paint peeling or flaking, it's because of poor prep work. Call Seahawk, they are very good at helping you with these issues. I talked with them an hour ago about thinning the Tropicoat.They cautioned me against using mineral spirits as I have with Interlux in the past. They told me to use only zylene, max 10 per cent. They can help you better than this forum can, because they aren't guessing.
jreiter190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2015, 21:05   #7

Boat: Cape Dory 31

I agree, give SeaHawk a call. They are very responsive. Personally I found their Cukote the best paint I've found. Previously tried Micron CSC and Extra. In my area the SeaHawk was better.
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2015, 18:42   #8

Boat: Hunter Passage 42

For anyone even thinking of using Sea hawk 44 or 77 even with the added tin I suggest you check the thread on the Facebook page for Grenada Cruisers.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1320...8499204564034/ is the direct link to the thread but you may have to request to be added as its a moderated Facebook Group.

The upshot is that many boats currently cruising in the Caribbean, with Sea Hawk as their bottom paint, are having problems with barnacle growth and paint sloughing off. For us on S/V Wahoo Sea Hawk 77 + was applied in Puerto Rico at Puerto Del Ray Marina by an approved Sea Hawk applier. We splashed in October and by Dec when we had the bottom cleaned barnacles were growing and paint was coming off. This continued, we have contacted Denis, the Sea Hawk rep, and nothing but a stalling tactic is taking place. In fact, we ran into Denis at the local Island Water World and he had the nerve to tell us that he'd never heard of this issue!! This after many emails from us and from other boats. In this thread, on CF, someone compliments Sea Hawk as being responsive - ha! must be another Sea Hawk company.

We know of only I boat, Purrfect, where Sea Hawk has honoured their warranty. This took about a year. We know of at least a dozen other boats that, like us, have been emailing and trying to get something done.
nolagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2015, 19:09   #9
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolagal View Post

We know of only I boat, Purrfect, where Sea Hawk has honoured their warranty. This took about a year. We know of at least a dozen other boats that, like us, have been emailing and trying to get something done.
Considering the company management have recently done time in prison for their unethical business practices, I don't know why you'd expect anything different.
Old 21-09-2015, 19:38   #10

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 49

Hard to help in the middle of a problem like that.

If you decide to look at Petit, Trinidad is identical to Pro Bottom Gold. Molecule for molecule. Big savings like generic medication vs name brand.
CAELESTIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2015, 19:46   #11
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAELESTIS View Post
If you decide to look at Petit, Trinidad is identical to Pro Bottom Gold. Molecule for molecule. Big savings like generic medication vs name brand.
Yeah, I don't know how that can be, considering West Marine Bottom Pro Gold has a copper content of only 40% and Pettit Trinidad is 65%-75%, depending on which flavor you pick.

Trinidad Hard Antifouling

WEST MARINE Bottom Pro Gold Bottom Paint, Gallon | West Marine
Old 21-09-2015, 19:57   #12

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 49

65%.

Z SPAR Z-Spar Bottom Pro Gold Rd | West Marine
CAELESTIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2015, 20:02   #13
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAELESTIS View Post
Interesting that both products have identical names.
Old 22-09-2015, 07:09   #14

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolagal View Post
For anyone even thinking of using Sea hawk 44 or 77 even with the added tin I suggest you check the thread on the Facebook page for Grenada Cruisers.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1320...8499204564034/ is the direct link to the thread but you may have to request to be added as its a moderated Facebook Group.

The upshot is that many boats currently cruising in the Caribbean, with Sea Hawk as their bottom paint, are having problems with barnacle growth and paint sloughing off. For us on S/V Wahoo Sea Hawk 77 + was applied in Puerto Rico at Puerto Del Ray Marina by an approved Sea Hawk applier. We splashed in October and by Dec when we had the bottom cleaned barnacles were growing and paint was coming off. This continued, we have contacted Denis, the Sea Hawk rep, and nothing but a stalling tactic is taking place. In fact, we ran into Denis at the local Island Water World and he had the nerve to tell us that he'd never heard of this issue!! This after many emails from us and from other boats. In this thread, on CF, someone compliments Sea Hawk as being responsive - ha! must be another Sea Hawk company.

Just for clarity, SH 77+ is not a TBT paint, and the tin booster is not compatible with it. If you used them together, that is most likely your problem.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2015, 12:15   #15

Boat: Hunter Passage 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
Just for clarity, SH 77+ is not a TBT paint, and the tin booster is not compatible with it. If you used them together, that is most likely your problem.

Mark
We know that SH 77 is not at TBT paint. Really!! The SH77 was applied by a certified SH applier he knew what was on the boat previously and acted accordingly. Besides the problem is too pervasive to be an application problem. The boats we are in contact with have had their work done at a variety of boatyards (Nanny Cay in the BVIs ,Peakes in Trinidad and Spice Island in Grenada to name a few) all under SH certified appliers and both SH 77 and SH 44 are showing the same issues. The issue is Sea Hawk and their warranty.

We are in communication with them and after months they have offered us 3 gallons of paint. What an insult!!
nolagal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bottom paint, hull, paint, thru hull