Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-11-2015, 12:49   #1

Boat: IP 40
Sea Frost engine drive - condensor zinc

Howdy Folks,

I was working to replacing the zinc for our condensing tower on our Sea Frost engine drive system. We've had the boat a little over a year and this is our first time to replace it.

To make a long story short I removed the brass plug and can see that the finger zinc broke off inside the column. We've been able to see/feel the piece of zinc in there a few times while trying to get it our but not had any luck with removing it. We've tried using water pressure to push it out by opening the seacock, but no luck. It appears there is a lip just inside the hole where the zinc threads in place that is preventing it.

Anyone have any magic suggestions for how to get a piece of zinc out of a small hole in a plastic tube? We're currently working with a piece of coat hanger, trying to carefully work it out but not making much progress.

I must say this seems like a horrible design, but we're stuck with it. The good is that water enters the bottom of the column and exists the top, so I guess in theory it's possible the piece could stay at the bottom in there and not cause major problems. That being said, for obvious reasons, we want it out.
Old 14-11-2015, 14:01   #2

Re: Sea Frost engine drive - condensor zinc

Haha....success!!! 15 minute zinc replacement only took about 5 hours so far. Now it's on to Home Depot for a blow torch to melt the last of the zinc that broke off in the bronze plug...

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1447538454.709569.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	40.4 KB
ID:	113010

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 14-11-2015, 18:41   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

Chewing gum on the end of a pencil can work.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2015, 12:24   #4

The zinc would stay at the bottom, and eventually dissolve. If you need new zincs you can call SeaFrost, up in New Hampshire, or e-mail. They are great people to deal with!!!!!!!
mike d. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2015, 17:34   #5

I was tempted to leave it in there, but was afraid what might happen as it broke up into smaller pieces. So we FINALLY got it out, painful freaking process but glad we did it.

Now if I can get in touch with them for a new plug for the zinc, I'll be ready if this happens again and I don't have a freaking blowtorch handy

Tags
engine