Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-10-2014, 10:27   #1

Boat: Pearson 34-II
Scuppers: Marelon or Stainless?

I will be replacing my scuppers due to age/wear. The options are Marelon or stainless steel. What would be the best choice and why? Any thoughts on the subject will be greatly appreciated.
Old 06-10-2014, 10:37   #2

Boat: President 43 Sportfish
Re: Scuppers: Marelon or Stainless?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rognvald View Post
I will be replacing my scuppers...
Replacing scuppers?
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 10:56   #3

You just mean the fittings in the cockpit floor right? Marelon would work there, it's very tuff. However I have seen the white Marelon (or glass filled other brand) get a bit powdery in sunlight. I would use bronze or SS. Also... if you are thinking of using Marelon mushroom fittings for that... remember they are straight thread not pipe thread.. complicating things a bit.
Chromed bronze or SS with the integral hose barb is what I would use.... if not the real scuppers with the little check ball in them.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 11:03   #4

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

My vote's for stainless. Ever drop a chromed bronze winch handle, or one of the bigger or pointy tools in your tool box in the cockpit?

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 12:17   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
You just mean the fittings in the cockpit floor right? Marelon would work there, it's very tuff. However I have seen the white Marelon (or glass filled other brand) get a bit powdery in sunlight. I would use bronze or SS. Also... if you are thinking of using Marelon mushroom fittings for that... remember they are straight thread not pipe thread.. complicating things a bit.
Chromed bronze or SS with the integral hose barb is what I would use.... if not the real scuppers with the little check ball in them.

Cheech,
The reason I am replacing them(as you stated above) is that they are getting "powdery." They are "orginal equipment" and 24 years old. I've looked at the stainless and they have a 3" flange. The Marelon, by Forespar, have a 2 3/4" flange which matches my existing scupper base. I would like to avoid reconfiguring/reglassing to accommodate the larger size, if possible. And, I am leaning towards the SS and have found only one supplier through "Boaterbits" online. Any ideas?
Old 06-10-2014, 12:47   #6

I guess if they lasted that long why not just replace with Marelon? The other option is go bronze and have the lip machined down to 2.75. You might even grind it down yourself actually. it's only 1/8 to remove all around...

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 13:01   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
I guess if they lasted that long why not just replace with Marelon? The other option is go bronze and have the lip machined down to 2.75. You might even grind it down yourself actually. it's only 1/8 to remove all around...
Cheech,
Very good idea about the machining. If the underlip of the flange is the same angle in degrees, it might be the best route to go since I personally favor the stainless steel. I'll look into it further. Thanks