Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-06-2016, 16:06   #1

SCross 31 Rudder

Hello Folks,
Just getting to know my new boat , Southern Cross 31, and the adjustments made by the prior owner ie where's the eyebrow?
My question today is the rudder and zincs. The rudder has 2 hinges. Each hinge had 2 parts. The boat has 4 zincs on the top hinge, two port side and 2 starboard and 3 zincs on the bottom hinge. One section of bottom hinge has no zincs. I tried looking on line of photos of SC on the hard and could not really see any zincs. The hinges look to be stainless but I do not know what metal the pin is made from. The zincs were worn. Also the hinges have some covering but it looks like somebody coated them in epoxy which now is cracking and peeling. Any advice is appreciated on the number of zincs needed and the coating or no coating.
Capedoryus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2016, 16:40   #2

Re: SCross 31 Rudder

A picture would help. many rudders don't need a zinc at all, in fact most I see. Overzincing can be a problem too, so just one ought to do it. Monitor how quick or if it disappears the first year.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2016, 18:03   #3

Boat: a sailing boat

You do not need zincs on isolated metal elements.

Not sure what the anodes are doing there.

What you call 'hinges' - this element sure has some more appropriate name?

Are yours bronze?

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2016, 04:36   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Capedoryus.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2016, 12:01   #5

Thanks for the replies and the welcome. Will try to post a photo. The pieces are stainless as far as I can see. Can't see the pins. I agree that the term hinge in not very nautical so I went to the nautical dictionary prior to posting and, from my understanding, the two halves ( let's call them G and P since spell check and I can't come to terms) make up the hinge. Thanks again for your replies.
Old 20-06-2016, 16:17   #6

I have tried two methods of uploading photos and can't seem to get em up. I uploaded the images to Google photos and then copied and pasted the link into the dialogue box for photos. Does not seem to work. It did end up with 2 http prefixes and I removed the forum supplied http and kept the Google http s prefix. Did not work. Any help or advice appreciated.

Tags
rudder