Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 15-08-2016, 12:57   #16

Re: Scotch-Brite Pads on Teak Deck

You may want to look at this; it is remarkably different than the replies posted up to now:

Teak Deck Secrets - Inside Practical Sailor Blog Article

Practical Sailor's answer to the OP's real question is contained in subscribers-only articles, but the free article does have links to them.

Old 15-08-2016, 16:40   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: a sailing boat

Salt in salt water may do this or that to life. OK.

But plankton present in salt water may become a great fertiliser for anything that grows, huh?

So maybe salt water is only a mixed blessing ???

b.

Old 16-08-2016, 20:16   #18

Boat: Albin Trawler 40'

Wouldn't have salted cod if it wasn't a great preservative. Fertilizer or not, nothing much going to grow in a hyperosmotic environment, draws the h2o right out of the cells.
Old 17-08-2016, 07:39   #19

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Cowes (Winter), Baltic (Summer) (the boat!); somewhere in the air (me!)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Well, I did two test patches with the Scotch Brite pads, and now after a few days and 500 miles of hard sailing upwind, they look great. The test patches -- about 1 square meter each -- look like my decks looked last year. I cannot detect any grooving or any other problem caused by this. The nasty hard fungus layer is gone and the teak is back. The slight tan color which I could see initially is gone, and the deck is the normal silver again -- so whatever material was removed in the process, must have been exceptionally thin.

So far so good.

The problem here is not the fungus itself, but a hard deposit left by the fungus. I don't see how I can get it off without some kind of mechanical cleaning.
Old 17-08-2016, 07:43   #20
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Yep. Makes plenty of sense.

I think the takes in Norway and in the tropics may differ. Just look at the temperatures and UV exposure. Then think of how much a boat is exposed in Norway vs. any tropical location. In Norway most sailing boats spend about 10 moths under a tent. This is a different game.

I am in the salt water, sponge and shurflo yellow brush, cross grain, club. But this applies to a sound, clean flat deck. Do not ask me what to do when we get an old and worn deck to look decent for a prospective buyer .......

arghhhhhhh

b.
Old 17-08-2016, 08:01   #21

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Cowes (Winter), Baltic (Summer) (the boat!); somewhere in the air (me!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Yep. Makes plenty of sense.

I think the takes in Norway and in the tropics may differ. Just look at the temperatures and UV exposure. Then think of how much a boat is exposed in Norway vs. any tropical location. In Norway most sailing boats spend about 10 moths under a tent. This is a different game.

I am in the salt water, sponge and shurflo yellow brush, cross grain, club. But this applies to a sound, clean flat deck. Do not ask me what to do when we get an old and worn deck to look decent for a prospective buyer .......

arghhhhhhh

b.
Well, I am in that same club with you. And Thank God so was the previous owner of my boat. This is the first time that anything has touched my decks other than a soft sponge used carefully, and strictly across the grain only. And I never cleaned them with anything except clean sea water, and occasionally a bit of Ecover washing up liquid. A bit of Boracol once in a while to keep the fungus down.

And that is why they are still in very good condition after 15 years. There is a bit of grooving at the bow where water comes over (a hard jet of sea water will groove them), and the caulking is starting to stand slightly proud in some places, but every is still very sound, and other than this accursed fungus, they look great. And they have never been under a tent -- they get sailed year round, every year.

Well, there was one time that something else was put on the deck. I had a crewman spill at least a couple of liters of dirty, used motor oil on my after deck. A few years ago. I thought the deck was ruined (I wanted to kill him, believe me), but I put diatomaceous earth and white spirits on it and let is soak, then vacuumed it off. Within a few months, all traces of the oil spill were gone. Teak is an amazing, beautiful material.
Old 17-08-2016, 08:01   #22
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Oyster 53 Cutter

Dockhead,

You've confirmed what I already suspected. Now Do yourself a huge favor by speeding up the process by using a random orbital sander along with 40 and 80 grit paper. The soft fungus impregnated outer layer of teak needs to go, you're just making it harder on yourself by using the Scotchbrite pads.

Your deck is long overdue for a light sanding, which is why you have your current fungus/mold issue.

Ken
Old 17-08-2016, 08:06   #23

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Dockhead,

You've confirmed what I already suspected. Now Do yourself a huge favor by speeding up the process by using a random orbital sander along with 40 and 80 grit paper. The soft fungus impregnated outer layer of teak needs to go, you're just making it harder on yourself by using the Scotchbrite pads.

Ken
Well, thanks -- I think you nailed it about the need for mechanical cleaning.

But I don't think sanding is needed -- the Scotch Brite pads are doing the job, and are taking off less teak than sanding would do.

My decks were made with the (in those days) new Moody process -- pieces produced with a CNG machine and glued down with no screws (Moody Decking is the only part of the company to survive, and all Oysters and Discoveries have decks made by that company these days). Decks made this way last longer, but they are quite a bit thinner than traditional plank decks like your boat has. So I can't just sand away on them. I believe you have 12mm teak; mine is only 10mm, so I can't afford to sand it probably more than once. I'm saving that one time for just before I sell the boat
Old 17-08-2016, 08:12   #24

Boat: custom teak ketch 48' Eastwind

I wonder how many of you know about ethylene glycol (antifreeze) as a deck wash/preservative treatment?
Doesn't discolor the wood, kills the mold spores! No more green ****!
Use it internally in the impossible to get to places. Use a weed sprayer and have at it.
This of course is meant for us few wood boat owners.
This works great, is cheap and kills all the bugs except polyestermites!
Old 17-08-2016, 08:17   #25
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Well, thanks -- I think you nailed it about the need for mechanical cleaning.

But I don't think sanding is needed -- the Scotch Brite pads are doing the job, and are taking off less teak than sanding would do.

My decks were made with the (in those days) new Moody process -- pieces produced with a CNG machine and glued down with no screws (Moody Decking is the only part of the company to survive, and all Oysters and Discoveries have decks made by that company these days). Decks made this way last longer, but they are quite a bit thinner than traditional plank decks like your boat has. So I can't just sand away on them. I believe you have 12mm teak; mine is only 10mm, so I can't afford to sand it probably more than once. I'm saving that one time for just before I sell the boat
Dockhead,

The teak doesn't know the difference regarding the way you remove the outer layer. Teak doesn't care whether you're gentile and take your time, or whether you're aggreesive to save yourself time. Just do what needs to be done in the shortest anount of time. I was a woodworker, piano rebuilder refinisher and hardwood floor refinisher for 20 years....

The wood doesn't care. You don't score extra points for being gentile.

I'm trying to save you one or two weeks of work (100 hours), to get to the same place. Just ask minaret if you need another opinion.
Old 17-08-2016, 09:07   #26
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Dockhead,

Your deck is long overdue for a light sanding, which is why you have your current fungus/mold issue.

Ken

Yep.

The fungi grow on the SOFT part of the wood, so if you cannot see the fungi, this is because the scotch brite removed the soft 'meat'.

To stop stuff from accumulating the the groves now (yes, they are there) you can give the deck a very very VERY careful sanding.

If there is enough teak, your deck will be as good as new (well, as close as it gets).

How many sanding sessions can a deck stand depends on how thick the planking is. Most older Moodies / Oysters could take two or three sanding stunts. New bavas and other boats probably just once.

We have a friend who has a proper teak deck. The planks are maybe 1 inch thick. The boat is from '57 and her deck is ... pristine.

That's the thing with teak decks. Use it, care for it, sand it, replace it. Or buy a boat with a plastic deck and forget about the challenge and cost (and the looks!)

Cheers,
b.
Old 17-08-2016, 09:33   #27

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
There is a kiwi product named wet and forget. I get it is a version of what #above talks about.

You spray it, you leave it, the weather is supposed to do the rest.

I found it moderately effective on sunbrella.

b.
This! DH, your getting impatient. The sitting around and growing green stuff happens over here at slightly lower latitude than your home port as well. Wet and forget is a roof cleaner, there are others. I use it. No wood loss, kills the green down to the roots. Washes away entirely. Mix up a gallon or so and apply with a garden sprayer. Wait 48 hours and clean it up with a hose or let the rain do it. Continues to work for months.
Old 22-09-2016, 13:10   #28
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

We need to know how things turned out? How's the deck look? What worked?
Old 22-09-2016, 14:44   #29

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
We need to know how things turned out? How's the deck look? What worked?
I used Scotch Brite on two test sections about one m2 each.

They look terrific, with no sign of any damage to the soft part. I was very, very careful not to scrub along the grain. What is cool about the Scotchbrite is that it removed all the fungus, but it didn't remove enough teak to even take away the silver color. So I don't think I've lost any significant amount of material at all.

Sandpaper would have been the next thing I tried, but this removes more material than Scotchbrite, so wanted to give Scotchbrite a chance first.

What is interesting is that my side decks, where people were walking all summer, also look fine. It seems that the problem mold is something which has grown on the surface, not the black discoloration (which I think I may have killed with Boracol).

The boat is now back in Cowes and I will consult with Lallows, the master wooden boat builders and great teak experts (they replaced the part of my rail and deck damaged in the collision last year), before doing anything else.

I am hoping not to sand these decks until just before I sell the boat. The deck condition will have a large effect on the value of the boat then.
Old 22-09-2016, 14:53   #30

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Which Scotchbrite? I have and use white, green, and black, there are others too of course

Sent from my iPad Pro using Cruisers Sailing Forum

Tags
deck, teak, teak deck

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: