Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-08-2013, 09:16   #1

Boat: Bill O'Brien 1975 'Amazon' 8m x 4.5m Ketch-Cutter Cruising Cat & Wharram 'Melanesia' 5m Outrigger
Sandtex for GRP Deck & Treadmaster?

Hello,

Following good reports on the use of Sandtex masonary paint as an alternative to marine deck paint - I hope to give it a go. I have an old catamaran which I am refitting and hope to use Sandtex for the decks which are GRP and mostly covered with well weathered one pack pack paint (not sure which one) and a lot of pinkish diamond pattern Treadmaster which looks horrible. Hopefully, a cream coloured Sandtex won't get so hot and should cover both surfaces. What sort of preparation is necessary - will I need some kind of primer or undercoat on the GRP?

Many thanks for any help with this one. John
Bobcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2013, 12:30   #2

Boat: Bill O'Brien 1975 'Amazon' 8m x 4.5m Ketch-Cutter Cruising Cat & Wharram 'Melanesia' 5m Outrigger
Re: SANDTEX FOR GRP DECK & TREADMASTER?

Received this from 'OldHarry' which I found quite useful:

Most of the better masonry paints (i.e not cheapo Homebase type which is too soft and wears quickly) seem to stick to pretty well anything. The criteria on the tin is that the surface is firm and dry, so a good wirebrushing will probably do most of it. I have always used it over other paints. Its water based acrylic resin so doesnt seem to react with any oil based paint. I would have thought it would stick to GRP - I had no end of trouble getting it off when I got some direct on Gel coat where it wasnt needed and let it dry. However I would have thought a good rub down with say 120g to take any surface gloss, and remove any wax/silicone polishes that may have been used would be a wise precaution, as well as keying it sufficiently for the paint to stay put. That old red treadmaster looks 'orrid when it has weathered badly, doesnt it? It too should take the Sandtex or whatever if its still serviceable other than the fading. Its not fun to get it off either, as the glue used to fasten it doesnt respond to anything short of real brutality! Hope that helps.
Bobcat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
deck, mast