Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-05-2013, 13:12   #1

Samson Boat Designs - I am searching for a Boat builder "Any suggestions"

Hello

Hope someone can assist or point me in the right direction..

I'm searching to find who a particular boat plan / original drawings were sold too. (who purchased them off Samson)

One of the notes on the plan says: "May not be reproduced in part or in whole other than the construction of one vessel without permission of Samson Marine design Enterprises Ltd"

So I presume someone somewhere must have a list of who purchased the designs in the first place and who in the end made the hull.

The boat plans are from "Samson Marine Design Enterprise Ltd" (Navel Architects & Consultants)

And the details ont he plan are:

Vessel: 53ft 6" Schooner
Design: C.F.Norris also says: S.N.A.M.E
Design date: 27th October 1972
Drawn: T.J.Kim
Drawing Number: 4502

During the 70's / 80's there was a lot of self build ferro cement boats some professionally built and some not, a lot of the bad ones never got finished and ended up in backyards around the world. This one did get finished and we are trying to find who built the hull.

I have searched all over for Samson & Hartley designs and alot takes me back to a website Ferroboats.com who don't seem to know of this boat "Colin Brookes" from Hartley & Brooks says it didnt exist even though I have the plans in front of me, I am not sure if Richard Hartley (Part of Hartley & Brooks) is the original Hartley from Samson Hartley or not, and understand that Samson has passed away now. Either way Hartley & Brooks don't seem to know of this boat.

Does anyone have any suggestions on where I could find further information on this.

The address for Samson Marine enterprises Ltd at the time was: 833 River Road, Richmond, Vancouver, B.C, Canada.

Fingers crossed here.
zooplax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2014, 12:43   #2

Re: Samson Boat Designs - I am searching for a Boat builder "Any suggestions"

This information is over two years late so it may no longer be of interest. The boat you are looking for is Samson's C-Lord 53' Schooner. It was designed by Cecil Norris and Peter Noble.
I own a C-Lord which was built by Samson Marine Design Enterprises in Ladner, B.C. in 1976. I am living on board the boat in Everett, WA, while endeavoring to restore it to its former glory.
The plans for the boat are available through Colin Brookes at his website "The World of Cement Boats" or Boat Plans, Build Your Own Boat with Hartley Boat Plans and books, Samson boat plans 'C-Lord' sail boat.
You might be interested in the restoration done by Quinn Martin on his C-Lord "Severn Swan" ex "Siesta Key" Home . Harold Stephens (author) did a UTube Presentation on the building of the "Third Sea" in Singapore and Thailand .
There are several C-Lords on the West Coast besides mine. The "Mallory Todd" in Seattle Seattle Sailboat Charters - Schooner Mallory Todd. There are two C-Lords in the Salmon River Marina, Winchester Bay, Oregon. One is named
"Broken Hobbles" and I do not recall the name of the other.
Every one of the boats are uniquely different, wood masts, aluminum masts, steel masts, variations in interior design, etc.
"The Voyages of the Third Sea" by Harold Stephens is one of his many books covering the building and 18 yrs of cruising the South Pacific, the South and East China Seas on his beloved C-Lord.
Even if you already have your C-Lord you may be interested in the like-minded souls who love them.
I am Darryl Mayberry, darrylmayberry@iname.com
darryls2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 03:46   #3

I wish to enter a correction to my statement above: The Schooner Mallory Todd is a fine example of a 55 ft Valeo built by Fibersteel Corp. in Sacramento, CA, during the same frame of time. The Valeo boats were all cast in molds making the hulls very fair and smooth. They had exceptional headroom in the interior, 6' 7" or more in every compartment.
darryls2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 16:55   #4

looking for some one that has built a cmist I have one im restoring and I need guildance and some plans can someone help me
sgtbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 17:22   #5
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Wow! Flash from the past.

Spent many evenings on Stormstrutter sharing drinks and tall tales with John.

He was quite a guy and a good builder
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 18:36   #6
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Nice video by Harold Stephens. He had an adventurous life! Great example of someone making dreams come true.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 03:18   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, darryls2, and sgtbob.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
builder, samson