Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-09-2013, 16:56   #1

Boat: Kadey Krogen 38 cutter
Samsom Posts

Im replacing the two Samson posts on my Krogen 38. They look to be mahogany, lots of rot at deck level. White oak is the wood of choice if memory serves me, I've been trying to locate 12 quarter WO to no avail. Most of the folks I talked with seem to think it doesn't matter whether its white or red, black. I know that anything other than white will rot in short order. Anyone have any thoughts on other woods that might serve? I was also thinking about laminating some thinner stock with some splines and epoxy. Thoughts?
Krogensailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 17:16   #2

Re: Samsom Posts

Have you tried these guys for sourcing your oak?

https://www.cookwoods.com/shop/categ...od-by-species/

If they don't have it I'm sure they can recommend. Mine are apitong, but I'd go with any outdoor rated hardwood. I painted mine with interlux perfection; they're great.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 17:48   #3

Boat: 17' faering Ironblood, building 34' schooner Javelin

Red oak will rot fairly quickly. It doesn't have to be oak, however. I am building a 34' schooner, and the samson posts [one each end of the double ender] will be 6X6 douglas fir. They will outlast me.
MichaelC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 18:16   #4
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Laminate out of white oak is good, no splines necessary (if you use quality epoxy properly). Really hard woods are good for Samson posts, due to chafe resistance. I'd use Ipe or Purpleheart. The latter is more and more available and affordable. Looks great too.

http://www.connectedlines.com/wood/wood55.htm

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 18:24   #5

Boat: Hans Christian 41T

I would go with apitong if it were me, hard as a rock, extremely rot resistant, and fairly cheep (its often used for truck decking) Our samson posts are aiptong and 30 years old. I just pulled them recently when I rebuilt our bowsprit and they look as good as new. If you can't find 12 quarter you could always laminate. You may want to give Duke from New England Naval Timber a call if your still looking for 12/4 white oak (860) 693-8425 (i think)
HansSolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 18:53   #6

Boat: a sailing boat

I would think maybe teak can be used?

If I am wrong, pls let me know why teak is a bad choice.

I ask as our cleats have teak bars.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 19:11   #7

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Teak is very nice for most applications but extremely expensive. White oak would be great if you can find it locally. Purple heart is really great as has been pointed out. I've got a lot of ironwood around here and I think I'll try some of that.
Old 11-09-2013, 20:06   #8

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

I hope I can spell it, but I used some eucalyptis?? for the samsom posts on our colvin, hard as the hubs of hell, and a bugger to work! But it wears like iron and never seemed to rot any in the 28 yrs we owned her ! Just a thought
Old 11-09-2013, 20:44   #9

Boat: Kadey Krogen 38 cutter

Thanks for the input. I like the idea of purple heart. May have found some white oak for $6. a foot rough. We have but one hardwood outlet here in southwest Florida, that being ALVA Hardwoods. They're only open for business in the winter. I don't blame them If I could get out of here for the summer I'd be history too. Again, thanks all.
Krogensailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 21:41   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krogensailor View Post
Im replacing the two Samson posts on my Krogen 38. They look to be mahogany, lots of rot at deck level. White oak is the wood of choice if memory serves me, I've been trying to locate 12 quarter WO to no avail. Most of the folks I talked with seem to think it doesn't matter whether its white or red, black. I know that anything other than white will rot in short order. Anyone have any thoughts on other woods that might serve? I was also thinking about laminating some thinner stock with some splines and epoxy. Thoughts?
White oak is fine if you're going to paint it, I might avoid it if you are going to give it a natural finish like oil or varnish. White oak will develop black stains that cannot be removed when it gets wet, which it will since its a Sampson post.

Teak, Purple Heart, and any of the others are fine if you like cutting down the rainforest and have wads of cash laying around.

Alternately, you could use local (to North America) and sustainably harvested Back Locust as has been a part of the American boatbuilding tradition for hundreds of years. It's denser than teak and has great rot resistance, Abe Lincoln used it for fence posts. You can leave it unfinished and it will turn silver like teak but not rot.

Or you could just keep cutting down the rainforest.

Black Locust Lumber - Your Source For Black Locust Wood & Finished Wood Products
DoryMan: Deadeye
Black Locust for a laid deck
Delancey is offline   Reply With Quote