Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-07-2017, 10:44   #1

Salt water on and around my engine?

Hi I had a leak and my motor sat in salt water for a bit. It's all fixed and drained, my question is: 1. Is it necessary to clean salt off motor? and, 2. What is the best way to clean your motor?
robbinsfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2017, 11:08   #2

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge
Re: Salt water on and around my engine?

1. yes

2. almost any cleaning products you like, but usually stuff like a degreaser, Dawn dish soap (or similar), 409, Kaboom, citrus cleaners, pressure washer, steam cleaner, whatever. Just pay attention to product labels and don't abuse a given product on any given metal to avoid per their label PLUS toothbrushes, pipe cleaners, rags on the end of a flat-blade screwdriver PLUS elbow grease.

Then treat any rusted areas immediately. Scrape, sand, wirebrush, etc... then clean... then treat with a rust converter... then prime, then overpaint...

-Chris

-Chris
Old 29-07-2017, 11:52   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Salt water on and around my engine?

Lots of warm, soapy water, then lots of water to flush that off.
For cleaning motors off, I like to use what is called a counter brush a foot long brush with about 6" soft bristles, great for washing off things like motors.
Careful with what you use though, simple green is corrosive and purple power will streak Yanmar paint
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2017, 01:31   #4

Thanks guys, what a mission!
robbinsfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2017, 15:12   #5

Boat: Catalina 350

1. yes

2. almost any cleaning products you like, but usually stuff like a degreaser, Dawn dish soap (or similar), 409, Kaboom, citrus cleaners, pressure washer, steam cleaner, whatever. Just pay attention to product labels and don't abuse a given product on any given metal to avoid per their label PLUS toothbrushes, pipe cleaners, rags on the end of a flat-blade screwdriver PLUS elbow grease.

Then treat any rusted areas immediately. Scrape, sand, wirebrush, etc... then clean... then treat with a rust converter... then prime, then overpaint...

-Chris

Totally agree with this. I recently had to change my drive seal which had been leaking and secretly spraying the rear of the motor. I went thru what Chris has advised above. The pressure water blaster was key but check you don't have any 'dickie' electrical connections thereafter. Then rust convert, prime and get paint that can handle a hot engine.
Seas the Day is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine, salt, salt water, water