Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-01-2016, 09:35   #1

Saloon Ceiling Lighting LED

I have about 12 feet of LED strip lighting on a 1990 Hunter Vision that I need to replace. It consists of 2 strips of little square lights on a ribbon. Anyone familiar with this setup?
SqPeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2016, 09:48   #2

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40
Re: Saloon Ceiling Lighting LED

Does it look like this?
NEW SMD 5630 White 300 LED Fleixbe Light Strip DC 12V Brighter Than 3528 5050 | eBay
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2016, 10:15   #3

That certainly looks like the originals but do you know how it's wired into the panel?
SqPeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2016, 10:22   #4

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

If you have those on your boat that is from the 90s, then they were most likely added by the previous owner. Those LED strips are straight 12V. You can simply wire them to a 12V house circuit on your boat.

Use a multimeter to check the voltage at the connection to the strip (wires will be soldered to it). This will tell you if there is a wiring issue, or if its an issue with the strip itself.
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2016, 10:22   #5

Boat: Liberty 458

2 wires. 12V DC. They're very simple.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
leftbrainstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2016, 11:48   #6

Put them thru my entire boat two years ago. little remote can turn them 14392 colors, my daughter likes pink!! Anyway, came with a small transformer to use house current, output is 12v. just cut off the transformer, use proper heat shrink connectors and wire direct to fused switches. Use remote to change color or tune off remotely. Purchased at all places, Costco, went back this year for more, installing through the cockpit lockers for plenty of light when working over engine/prop shaft, etc. must have 60 plus feet through the boat, one remote controls all lights, 3 different circuits, great light, no draw on batteries and you can get quite funky after a few of the "Capt". The red works well at night, 1st mate did research and blue is apparently a much better color for night sailing. will try that this year.
Halifax Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2016, 12:15   #7

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halifax Sailor View Post
Put them thru my entire boat two years ago. little remote can turn them 14392 colors, my daughter likes pink!! Anyway, came with a small transformer to use house current, output is 12v. just cut off the transformer, use proper heat shrink connectors and wire direct to fused switches. Use remote to change color or tune off remotely. Purchased at all places, Costco, went back this year for more, installing through the cockpit lockers for plenty of light when working over engine/prop shaft, etc. must have 60 plus feet through the boat, one remote controls all lights, 3 different circuits, great light, no draw on batteries and you can get quite funky after a few of the "Capt". The red works well at night, 1st mate did research and blue is apparently a much better color for night sailing. will try that this year.
The army has recently completed testing in which they concluded that its not so much the hue of the color but the intensity. So, you are welcome to use regular warm white light but keep the intensity very low. You are best off using a warm white light at low intensity because you can distinguish colors... like you may need to on a chart... unlike if you used a red or blue light.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2016, 12:17   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

A blue green color is supposedly best, less stressful on the eyes like Hospital gowns color. If your over 40 and presbyopia has started, then red is even worse for you as in making it harder to focus.
]
Just saw zboss post, I went to white lights on my airplane long ago and just turn down the intensity, lots easier to see the gauges in white light.
Funny how all those red marks on a chart just disappear when lit with a red light
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2016, 08:33   #9

Boat: 2000 Mainship 390

my 2 cents is that some of the light strings are not sealed on the back and moisture can be a factor. So I would make sure they are weatherproof. I did them a few years ago and they are great.
ricktara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2016, 03:15   #10

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Athena 11.6m Rapa Nui II

The reason the military have gone for blue reduced lighting is that it is at the opposite end of the spectrum compared to red for night vision goggles and hence helo pilots and others using nvg's don't get blinded by stray lights. Whether it is better for dark adapt lighting I am not sure.
Rapanui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2016, 22:06   #11

Boat: Catalina 30

I use these strip lights, and have 'converted' many others around the marina to these little, inexpensive beauties.

Search on the China sites like aliexpress , or eBay. You'll find them in 16' reels (5 meters) for cheap. Get the IP-68 (waterproof) just to be safe. They are also considerably more durable than the cheaper models.

PS: If you haven't ordered direct from China before, it is no hassle at all. Just plan on 15 day delivery. Whatever you do, DO NOT order direct from the manufacturer! They rival Nigeria But aliexpress escrows your money until you receive the goods. I buy several times a month, for several years, and never a problem.
Skuzzlebutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2016, 06:05   #12

Boat: 41' Morgan Classic

I have fluorescent lights in both heads. I took them apart and replaced the two fluorescent bulbs with led strips from China - Tmart I think. Three in each unit. Used the same switch. More light and less power consumption. Very happy with results.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
bytownboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2016, 19:35   #13

Boat: The Walrus

Check out Super Bright LEDs I've done business with them many times. Great products. Really worth a look.

https://www.superbrightleds.com/
Old 21-01-2016, 07:24   #14

I have very strange eyesight after a messed up eye operation, and the first effect was seeing much further into the red spectrum than usual, which I noticed using red light preserving night vision at night using a telescope.

So I tried blue instead, and found it very disconcerting and disorienting (not as bad as fluorescents though, which rapidly give me arc eye).

Things that affect me, tend to also affect others, but to lesser degrees (as an aside, this was very useful for testing computer CRT monitors for eye strain). So if you haven't used blue light before, I'd check it out first to see how you get on with it, before spending perhaps a lot of money on a full installation.
Ribbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2016, 07:40   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapanui View Post
The reason the military have gone for blue reduced lighting is that it is at the opposite end of the spectrum compared to red for night vision goggles and hence helo pilots and others using nvg's don't get blinded by stray lights. Whether it is better for dark adapt lighting I am not sure.
That was thirty or more years ago, and it's actually more of a green than blue.
But since then there have been a few studies, first red as it is at the opposite end as you correctly state causes problems for older people (over 40) eyes to focus.
Then believe it or not there was a pretty extensive study done and the conclusion was that plain ole white light, dimmed was just as good for night adaption, and came without the issues of washing warnings out on maps etc. Example, it's common for power lines on a map to be in red as a warning, but viewed under red light, they become completely invisible.

The hospital color of green is less stressful on the eyes of any other color apparently, something our Russian brothers apparently figured out long ago, look in the cockpit of a Soviet block aircraft

http://image.shutterstock.com/displa...pit-402378.jpg
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lighting, saloon