Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-06-2014, 06:13   #1
Marine Service Provider

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: St Augustine, FL
Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat
Posts: 2,827
Sales Tax on Labor in Florida?

Ok,

Not looking to start a tax debate.

I just had $2500 of cushions work done. I supplied the fabric and the sewer supplied the foam, although I had offer to purchase the foam separate. But they said they only charged labor to cut the foam and no markup.

So, cushions are great; but a sales tax on the entire amount including labor is being charged I have never seen this and is perhaps inline with some version of florida tax law, I have NEVER seen this done for boating related items. Technically she would not charge tax on labor performed out of the shop which was a lot, but it is of course not itemized. I have worked for several marine businesses in FL and never taxed the labor.

I am happy to pay the tax on the roughly $700 in materials, but tax on the labor? These are custom bespoke items, not off the shelf storefront items.

What are I others's experiences with this, canvas, cushions, rigging???
__________________

__________________
Check out my MoJo: Facebook.com/mojomarine1
Boatguy30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 06:29   #2
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: St Louis, MO
Boat: Gulfstar 43 ketch
Posts: 160
Re: Sales Tax on Labor in Florida?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy30 View Post
Ok,

Not looking to start a tax debate.

I just had $2500 of cushions work done. I supplied the fabric and the sewer supplied the foam, although I had offer to purchase the foam separate. But they said they only charged labor to cut the foam and no markup.

So, cushions are great; but a sales tax on the entire amount including labor is being charged I have never seen this and is perhaps inline with some version of florida tax law, I have NEVER seen this done for boating related items. Technically she would not charge tax on labor performed out of the shop which was a lot, but it is of course not itemized. I have worked for several marine businesses in FL and never taxed the labor.

I am happy to pay the tax on the roughly $700 in materials, but tax on the labor? These are custom bespoke items, not off the shelf storefront items.

What are I others's experiences with this, canvas, cushions, rigging???
In Wisconsin sales tax is collected on labor.
__________________

__________________
kbudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 06:33   #3
Moderator Emeritus
 
GordMay's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Thunder Bay, Ontario - 48-29N x 89-20W
Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Posts: 31,580
Images: 240
Re: Sales Tax on Labor in Florida?

Labour is taxable in Florida, in some situations.

From the Department of Revenue:

“... Charges for fabrication are taxable.
Fabrication occurs when material is cut, threaded, shaped, bent, welded, sheared, punched, drilled, machined, or is changed in some way from its original state, due to work performed on it ...
... The total amount charged for labor or services, when parts are furnished in installing tangible personal property that is sold and does not become a part of realty, is taxable, even though such charge may be separately stated.
Contractors and manufacturers who furnish and install the following items are considered to be retail dealers and are required to charge sales tax and surtax on the full price, including installation and any other charges:
... Drapes, slipcovers, bedspreads, curtains, blinds, shades, etc ...”


See ➥ http://dor.myflorida.com/dor/forms/current/gt800010.pdf
__________________
Gord May
"If you didn't have the time or money to do it right in the first place, when will you get the time/$ to fix it?"



GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 07:34   #4
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,440
Re: Sales Tax on Labor in Florida?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy30 View Post
Ok,

I am happy to pay the tax on the roughly $700 in materials, but tax on the labor? These are custom bespoke items, not off the shelf storefront items.
Many states have taxes on labor, but there are lots of nuances about it. You've likely paid it and not been aware of it.
__________________
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 07:35   #5
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: San Diego
Boat: Pearson 39-2 "Sea Story"
Posts: 1,109
Re: Sales Tax on Labor in Florida?

Also true in Texas.

Perhaps it is more popular in places that don't have income tax?
__________________
Greenhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 09:24   #6
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Paradise
Boat: Various
Posts: 2,359
Re: Sales Tax on Labor in Florida?

When a repairperson supplies parts, sales tax and the applicable discretionary sales surtax are due on the entire charge made to the customer for adjusting, applying, installing, maintaining, remodeling, or repairing tangible personal property.

Charges for repairs of tangible personal property needing only labor or service are not taxable. The dealer must keep documentation to prove no tangible personal property was joined with, or attached to the repaired item. The sales tax and surtax apply when parts are used in the repair even if the parts are
provided at no charge.

Charges for fabrication are taxable. Fabrication occurs when material is cut, threaded, shaped, bent,
welded, sheared, punched, drilled, machined, or is changed in some way from its original state, due to
work performed on it.



Florida businesses are very careful in this regard as over the decades many have been found not properly collecting and submitting. The burden is on the business to document any services exempt from the charge. In your situation, the labor is clearly taxable.
__________________
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 09:25   #7
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Paradise
Boat: Various
Posts: 2,359
Re: Sales Tax on Labor in Florida?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenhand View Post
Also true in Texas.

Perhaps it is more popular in places that don't have income tax?
I've found that to be very true. States without personal income taxes do seem more aggressive in sales tax. It makes sense. Revenue must come from somewhere.
__________________
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 09:30   #8
smj
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2007
Boat: Searunner 38 catamaran
Posts: 3,654
Re: Sales Tax on Labor in Florida?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenhand View Post
Also true in Texas.

Perhaps it is more popular in places that don't have income tax?
In Texas some labor is taxed but not all.
__________________
smj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 09:37   #9
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Paradise
Boat: Various
Posts: 2,359
Re: Sales Tax on Labor in Florida?

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
In Texas some labor is taxed but not all.
Texas is one of those states that every business category seems to be different. One has to just go down a long list to see where they fall. Even a couple of states tax some business services. Sales tax laws can be very convoluted sometimes. Florida is pretty straight forward.

And don't even talk about food and states that tax prepared food and not food that must be prepared. Imagine the nightmare for small mom and pop convenience stores (although not many of those left) figuring out which items in the store are taxable and which are not and then getting it right at the register.
__________________
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 09:47   #10
Head in a locker
 
Cavalier's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Houston, TX
Boat: Beneteau 461 47'
Posts: 879
Images: 1
Re: Sales Tax on Labor in Florida?

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
In Texas some labor is taxed but not all.
In TX, sales tax isn't collected on professional (intangible) services such as legal, consultancy, medical etc. It is generally collected on labor which can be seen to directly improve asset/material values, such as fabrication, remodeling or manufacturing of an item.



There are some oddities however. If an auto-repair shop charges a customer for a part which includes labor then they don't collect tax, but pay tax to the suppliers of the part. If they line-item the parts and labor separately then they collect sales tax on the parts only. However, if a car is being remodeled (modification which isn't a replacement/repair) then sales tax should also be collected on the labor.



The Comptrollers always have some varying oddities from state to state.
__________________
"By day the hot sun fermented us; and we were dizzied by the beating wind. At night we were stained by dew, and shamed into pettiness by the innumerable silences of stars."
Cavalier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 09:48   #11
Moderator
 
a64pilot's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Albany Ga.
Boat: Island Packet 38
Posts: 17,047
Sales Tax on Labor in Florida?

My first electric bill from Gulf Power was thirty something dollars, seeing as how the slip was un-occupied and no electricity was used I thought that a little excessive so I called, One of my questions was since they had provided no goods or service, what was I being taxed on? Of course the person on the phone didn't understand and I didn't won't to push something that I had no chance in winning, but I believe sales tax is charged whether it's due or not.
PS current electric bill was $51. $12 of that was for electricity, the rest was fees and taxes.
__________________
a64pilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 09:52   #12
smj
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2007
Boat: Searunner 38 catamaran
Posts: 3,654
Re: Sales Tax on Labor in Florida?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavalier View Post
In TX, sales tax isn't collected on professional (intangible) services such as legal, consultancy, medical etc. It is generally collected on labor which can be seen to directly improve asset/material values, such as fabrication, remodeling or manufacturing of an item.



There are some oddities however. If an auto-repair shop charges a customer for a part which includes labor then they don't collect tax, but pay tax to the suppliers of the part. If they line-item the parts and labor separately then they collect sales tax on the parts only. However, if a car is being remodeled (modification which isn't a replacement/repair) then sales tax should also be collected on the labor.



The Comptrollers always have some varying oddities from state to state.
On remodels and repairs to a commercial building the labor is taxable in Texas. If the building is residential then the labor is not taxable. They sure do get specific in the state of Texas!
__________________
smj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 09:57   #13
Registered User

Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 447
Re: Sales Tax on Labor in Florida?

This is true in Texas as well. Many times it is just built into the price since it is a sore subject but it actually makes it easier for the business as you pay on receipts instead of figuring out what was labor and what was materials. When negotiating, ask if it includes tax up front.
__________________
tdoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 10:27   #14
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Paradise
Boat: Various
Posts: 2,359
Re: Sales Tax on Labor in Florida?

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
On remodels and repairs to a commercial building the labor is taxable in Texas. If the building is residential then the labor is not taxable. They sure do get specific in the state of Texas!
Well, add this one. In some states, rentals of homes or apartments are subject to sales tax if for less than a year but not if there is a signed lease for a year or more. So two apartments rented in one building. One subject to sales tax, one not. We ran across this situation in NYC.
__________________
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 10:28   #15
Registered User
 
Stu Jackson's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Cowichan Bay, BC (Maple Bay Marina)
Posts: 6,387
Re: Sales Tax on Labor in Florida?

Could someone explain why the question was about FL but the answers are about TX?

Thanks, Gord, for the real answer.
__________________

__________________
Stu Jackson
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, (Maple Bay Marina) SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
florida, sale

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Confusion About 'Use Tax' and 'Sales Tax' thelasthour Dollars & Cents 31 28-02-2012 16:16
Avoid Florida sales tax, do the deal in Bahamas Zonker Dollars & Cents 7 09-06-2011 18:40
Sales Tax and Use Tax - What the...? jpemb7 Dollars & Cents 7 18-01-2010 22:04
Florida Extends Sales Tax Exemption slomotion Dollars & Cents 0 22-05-2009 10:12



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 16:19.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.