Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-07-2014, 22:10   #91

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs
Re: Sail Life

A 135% genoa built to take 35+ knots will need to be so heavy and flat that it will be next to useless in light airs.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 14:09   #92

Boat: Niagara 35

So Savoir or StuM,

Given that the average sloop with roller furling has no inner forestay or solent stay, and a 135 is probably typical, what do you do when the wind blows 35 knots? It is reasonable to expect that on occasion, especially in a squall line.

The OP is a coastal cruiser who can stay out of the 45-60 knot range, so doesn't need to completely rig an inner forestay and storm jib.

Wouldn't most people roll up the 135 a bit, double reef the main, and pinch a bit to suffer through the blast until they got to safety?

JD1, I assume you're asking about being able to take 35 knots partially furled? I don't think you want to plan on 35 knots full out like you got caught in last time. If you do want to sail around with the full sail out in 35 knots, then I retract my comments/questions and side with the peanut gallery.

Also, next time maybe you want to let the traveler right down to depower the main, furl the headsail, and only then reef the main.
cwyckham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 15:29   #93

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwyckham View Post
So Savoir or StuM,

Given that the average sloop with roller furling has no inner forestay or solent stay, and a 135 is probably typical, what do you do when the wind blows 35 knots? It is reasonable to expect that on occasion, especially in a squall line.

The OP is a coastal cruiser who can stay out of the 45-60 knot range, so doesn't need to completely rig an inner forestay and storm jib.

Wouldn't most people roll up the 135 a bit, double reef the main, and pinch a bit to suffer through the blast until they got to safety?

JD1, I assume you're asking about being able to take 35 knots partially furled? I don't think you want to plan on 35 knots full out like you got caught in last time. If you do want to sail around with the full sail out in 35 knots, then I retract my comments/questions and side with the peanut gallery.

Also, next time maybe you want to let the traveler right down to depower the main, furl the headsail, and only then reef the main.
Short answer: furl.

I made the opposite assumption based on the initial post about the full genoa tearing in 35 knots. It seemed that the OP wanted to have another one that could take it if he didn't furl again for some reason.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 15:50   #94
Jd1

Boat: Catalina 36 MKII

Although I don't intend on sailing with a full genoa in 35 knots, I would like the replacement genny to not disintegrate if I am hit by a freaky weather. I should have enough strength in the sail to give me a chance to furl.

BTW, I tend to furl the main before the genoa hence I had the main mostly furled but had not gotten around to furling the genoa. I have also learned that it is ok to use the winch for furling if I need to. Next time, rather than tacking to head to more sheltered water, I will furl first and THEN tack.
I still want a genoa that can take 35 knots for a short duration .... NOT TO KEEP SAILING but only to give me enough time to furl.
I can't make it any clearer than that !
Jd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 17:04   #95
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(

Your proposed 6-7 oz genoa will not tear in 35 knots. However it will likely stretch and accelerate the bagging that defines a worn out sail.

Shorting sails is a "personal" decision based on how your boat performs. I don't reef the main until my (150%) genoa is at least 100%.

We have been knocked down by jet wake vortex with full sail up. Nothing broke.

You can keep increasing the weight of the genoa until you are assured it will never break but then you have a sail that is too heavy to fill in light airs.

I am not criticizing but you will learn to read the water surface upwind and measure the gusts that are coming. It is rare to get 10kg35 more likely 25kg35 and by that time you should be shorted already.

Coming out of a sheltered harbor in the lee of the land is also not really an excuse. You start seeing spray and white caps on the water surface around 20-22 knots. We have a sheltered channel and will see 15kts there. As I am sailing out to the unsheltered "bowl" I can see the white caps and short the sails before Iget there.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 10:27   #96

Boat: Niagara 35

Don't forget where you sail. 5 knot days are common and 35 knot days very rare except during well forecast winter storms. We have a summer sail and a winter sail. Don't sacrifice low wind performance for a rare event you can manage in other ways

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 11-07-2014, 15:24   #97

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

cwyckham,

You've got a good point there! Our previous Insatiable had both a heavy 150 and a light 150. With the heavy one, she'd scream to windward in 20-25. That sounds like an excellent solution for your region.

Maybe the OP could locate a heavy 135 used, and have a proper 135 new!

Ann
Old 18-07-2014, 18:55   #98

Boat: Able 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwyckham View Post
So Savoir or StuM,

Oooops ! Missed this one. I have been busy devouring a particularly tasty bag of peanuts.

When the wind blows 35 knots you furl and furl all the way. Sail home under main only.

If that 35 knots arrives very quickly as a squall then you bear away and run with it while you ease the sheet and furl the jib.

I would expect a 135% #1 to be 7 oz. That sail will not tear in 35 knots but will stretch. Swap it out for something around 80% or 90% and maybe go down 1 reef in the main.

Now where did I put those nuts ?
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2014, 19:08   #99

Boat: 2010 Andrews 28

Never be embarrassed to make sure that what you are paying for meets all your expectations. It's your dime. I would look at some sail maker's web sites and list all the specs for their highest price dacron sale... and then ask your sail maker about including each of those specs.
silversailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2014, 04:34   #100
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by savoir View Post
Oooops ! Missed this one. I have been busy devouring a particularly tasty bag of peanuts.

When the wind blows 35 knots you furl and furl all the way. Sail home under main only.

If that 35 knots arrives very quickly as a squall then you bear away and run with it while you ease the sheet and furl the jib.

I would expect a 135% #1 to be 7 oz. That sail will not tear in 35 knots but will stretch. Swap it out for something around 80% or 90% and maybe go down 1 reef in the main.

Now where did I put those nuts ?
I can never tell when people are serious around here any more.

Should I have seen a sarcasm emoticon here?
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail