About a month ago a large torn genny was dropped of at a freinds house with the comment thought you guys could find a use for this. After openning it out we discovered that it was a roller furling
sail with the luff ripped of and evidence of a proir repair to that area. The sail was in great shape... still crisp. Since none of the 3 of us needed any sails
we started thinking about how to make good use of this. We decided to make shade awnings from it. So... ordered up a spool of the new sail thead that isn't affected by UV and sun and 100' of binding tape.
My freind John, who has a sailrite
machine started to work. He first made awnings for his Gemini
from the mast
to the bow. Next he made awnings and a cockpit
encloser for Joe's 33' Glander and then an awning for my Prout from the mast
to 2' past the house, as well as a shade/privacy cloth to go across the back of my cockpit
. All the straps were made from found on the road tie-down straps. Total cost for all 3 boats was around $250.00 for the thread and binding tape. we did not count labor cost.
Now all of use are in the shade and much cooler here in the Fl. sunshine.