Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-11-2009, 14:05   #1

Boat: Island Packet 31 (35'), Black Squirrel
Sacred Tome for Boat - Where ?

Now I own an IP31 and contacting IP they are sending me an owners manual. However, I am looking for something more. It would be helpful if there is something I could look at to indicate part numbers and names so I avoid attempting to explain to someone what a part that is now missing and I have never seen looks like or is suppose to do.

Or the replacement fuse can easily be found by removing the wood cover placed at the back of the closet. Rather than trying to trace it from the panel, the galley, through the headliner, over the river and through the woods..." Or the very fact it has a fuse would be helpful to know.
I was hoping for a Chilton's for Island Packets , or the Yanmar manual - with part numbers and drawings and torque ratings and wiring diagrams. Are my expectations too high? People have suggested contacting IP with questions but sometimes, I just want to know that there is a fuse on this line so I can buy spare before I leave.

Am I using the wrong terminology with people or lacking the secret password?

Kefaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 15:40   #2

Boat: Nordhavn 47
I bought one new about 16 years ago and the manual was great as far as it went. It seemed the electronics, etc was all installed by the dealer who was much less into documenting anything so it was search and find for all the add ons. I think the smartest thing I did was not get much with the base boat and installed everything else myself which allowed me to make my own manual.

I could not find a good wiring diagram in any of their literature.

You can get the Yanmar service manual online with part numbers and stuff. Google "your engine number and service manual". I found it on a non-US site. It seemed here everyone wanted to sell you one. If you can't find it let me know your engine number. It may be the same as the one I downloaded.

Jim
jkleins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 03:44   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
We have a list of Shop & Parts Manuals, available FREE on-line. Select the particular piece of equipment and search it out.

Goto ➥ http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...uals-8758.html

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 04:19   #4
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Kefaa,

Other than the factory manual (which is very good) and the Yanmar parts and maintenance manuals, you may find manuals for some of the individual equipment aboard.

Are you familiar with these two websites?

IP Home Port - The Official Website For Island Packet Yacht Owners Since 1998 - Home

Welcome to the Island Packet Yacht Owners' Association

The Island Packet owners on these two forums are a knowledgeable and willing resource for a new owner. And after you exhaust those sources, you can always contact the IP customer service folks, who go out of their way to help out.

Congrats on your new boat!
Old 10-11-2009, 05:38   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefaa
I was hoping for a Chilton's for Island Packets...
The short answer to you question is, sorry, no such thing exists. Not for Island Packets. Not for any sailboat that I am aware of.

As others have said, you will have to get separate manuals for separate systems, and then rely on sources like this forum and the manufacturer for those things that aren't formally documented anywhere.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 06:01   #6

Boat: Nordhavn 47
The biggest problem with documentation that I found on our boat recently was that everything that was installed aftermarket had a separate inline fuse and the instructions said to attach directly to the battery for best results. Unfortunately the person that installed a lot of the stuff took it to heart and did it exactly as it was diagramed in the instructions. I had fuses scattered out all over the place in small compartments and wires running from everywhere to the battery instead of a main or satellite bus.

I think some boat builders could do a better job of preparing larger cruising boats for aftermarket add-ons as well by leaving more room in the fuse blocks and having secondary buses in strategic locations (like the nav station) that can be tapped for power that are fuse or breaker protected and meet all the ABYC requirements instead of bringing everything back to a single panel or the battery compartment. Then they can be labeled or documented in a manual with where the power is coming from and what the maximum add-on can pull for the wire size, etc.

This may be happening now in the newer boats but it certainly was not priority on any of the older boats I have worked on.

You do get to know your boat very well by tracing those wires all around though.

Jim
jkleins is offline   Reply With Quote