Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-11-2009, 02:37   #16
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Just do it and ask your rellies to invite us all to the wake. Quite a few of my mates have tried it and I really enjoyed their wakes. Don't listen to the naysayers, they are no fun at all, just go with the flow.

And be sure take internet advice seriously
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2009, 05:09   #17

Boat: Mirage 25 "Garfield"
Buy a stepdown transformer from an electrical supply distributor of sufficient wattage to handle your largest tool.Multiply amperage of tool x voltage (110) to get wattage.Add 20% so you aren't running the transformer at max.
It's really hard to collect all the smoke and get it back into the tool after you've fried it.

Phil
Philsboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2009, 05:23   #18

Boat: Irwin 40
I did this once by mistake. Someone had wired a 120 VAC 15 AMP outlet as 240 VAC! I plugged in my router not knowing and it ran really fast and before I could figure out what was happening it toasted. The Marina paid for the repair, guess it was good I found it before someone plugged their whole boat in.

So simply put, do not do it!

And the others are right it is down right dangerous!

Wayne Canning AMS
projectboatzen.com
sailvayu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2009, 09:49   #19

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
You can get 110/220 transformers in all the different wattage sizes in all the islands quite easily. The locals in the eastern Caribbean have European 220VAC 50Hz electricity but like to use the cheaper USA electric and electronics rather than the more expensive European stuff. So they all use the transformers to convert. The transformers can convert 110 to 220 or 220 to 110.
- - However the frequency does not change. 220VAC 50 hz(cycle) converts to 110 VAC 50 Hz(cycle). For heating equipment and variable speed power tools this is not a major problem although the maximum speed could be 13% lower - most fan speeds are controlled by the Hz not the voltage.
- - However, sensitive equipment that relies on Hz(frequency for timing like microwave ovens, certain electronic equipment - compressors, fans, test instruments will not function on 50 Hz power. It is easy to determine if that is the case by simply looking at the "label" on the equipment where the Voltage and Freq requirements are listed. Most new equipment is built "multi-voltage, multi Freq" to avoid having to have two different factories in China making the equipment. Older ferro-R battery chargers will not operate on the wrong frequency.
- - So you do not need to buy new power tools just get a proper size voltage transformer.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2011, 06:30   #20

Boat: 46' custom cat "Rum Doxy", Roughwater 41"Abreojos"
Re: Running 110vac Tools on 220vac

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikereed100 View Post
I need you all to stop me before I try this. I know in my heart of heart what will happen if you plug a 110v power tool into 220v, but my reptilian brain keeps telling me the motor will just spin faster, or in the case of a heat gun, it won't heat up as well.
So what do you think, have I been watching too much Mythbusters? Answers involving practical experience will be more entertaining and will be graded higher than those explaining electromagnetic theory.

Mike
In answer to my own question, I have had ample opportunity to screw up and have taken full advantage during our recent haulout. The first episode involved plugging my 110v battery charger for power tools into 220. It made a satisfying "pop" then let all the smoke out. A few days later I inadvertently plugged my 220v drill into the 110v converter. It predictably ran about 1/2 as fast but no harm done. Since then I have used this feature on purpose to drive screws with it (as my battery drill is now useless without the charger). Next, I ran my 110v chop saw on 220v all afternoon and didn't realize it until I was putting it away at the end of the day. Again, no harm done, but I only ran it for a couple of seconds at a time.

Seems that electronics fare poorly, but motors are a lot more tolerant of different voltages. I should mention that all my 110 plugs are marked with red tape and 220v with blue to avoid confusion, but after a while this stuff becomes invisible leaving me free to plug into whatever I want.

Mike
mikereed100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2011, 06:59   #21

Boat: Irwin 40

Famous last words
"Hey y'all look what I can do!"

And mike they make plugs so that you cannot mix them up, makes me wonder how anyone can mix things up? Guess you could think about the cost of correct plugs vers burned up charges ect!
sailvayu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2011, 08:03   #22

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailvayu View Post
Famous last words
"Hey y'all look what I can do!"

And mike they make plugs so that you cannot mix them up, makes me wonder how anyone can mix things up? Guess you could think about the cost of correct plugs vers burned up charges ect!
In Thailand, the 220v outlets use the American style 110v plugs--I hid all my power tools, but the workers borrowed my vacuum...it survived a 2 second burst of 220v.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2011, 08:05   #23
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold

Mike,

I'm no electrical genius, but won't running a 220 V motor at 110V draw twice the current and risk burning up the windings?
Old 31-10-2011, 08:58   #24

Boat: Lancer 44 Motorsailer

Depending where you are in the world electrical supply sources can cause smoking tools. In North America we have a standard of power, recepticles and plugs that we expect to find in other parts of the world. Forget that idea. In the Middle East they have 240vac 50hz and use the heavy British style plugs as well as the dual round pin European or Japanese type plugs. The receptacles in many places use a configuration that allows you to plug in both as well as a 2 prong NA style plug. In the Phillipines the power is supposed to be 220vac 60hz (can range anywhere from 180vac to 250vac), the plugs found on there tools can be, either two flat pins like our isolated tools or two round pins like the ones used in Japan. It makes it very easy to plug the wrong voltage tool in a recepticle and experience a rather impressive spark and smoke show. This is something everyone should experience at least once. It also helps the local economy.
Old 31-10-2011, 16:44   #25

Boat: 46' custom cat "Rum Doxy", Roughwater 41"Abreojos"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hud3 View Post
Mike,

I'm no electrical genius, but won't running a 220 V motor at 110V draw twice the current and risk burning up the windings?
Hud,

Good point. Kinda wished I'd thought of that before. I'm no electrical genius either (see previous posts for confimation) but it seems to me that you would only draw twice the current with 110v if you were able to achieve the same rpms as 220v? As I was only driving screws the drill was on for just a second or 2 at a time. Probably saved me.

Mike
mikereed100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2011, 17:27   #26

Boat: 1985 Catalac 10Meter Serendipity, 1998 Nimble Wanderer "PJS"
Send a message via Skype™ to jannpage

If you need to run 110V items on 220V first check if they are built to do so. . Most of my computor stuff is dual voltage automatically. Just have to have adapter plugs.
But most applieances that have motors or generate heat are built for pretty specific voltage and frequency. Most European stuff is 220 V , 50 cycle. While a transformer will easily convert the voltage to 110, it will still be 50 cycle and American motors with run much slower and not develope full power and tend to run a little hotter. Hovever most had tools will work OK. I keep a boat in northern Italy. My refer is designed to run on 110V 60 Cyle. It is an absorbtion unit that uses the AC to heat the coolent. Using a transformer results in less heat and less cooling so my ice cream is soft. When I want it real cold I use and inverter on the batteries which are being charged by the 220V 50Cycle. I use the inverter to power most of my 110V hand tools. MOst of my electronics are dual voltage (or more). NOw in the US., my 220 is 60 cyle. It is easy to split the circuit and run 2 100V 50cucle circuits.

I hope that helps.
jannpage is offline   Reply With Quote