Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-07-2012, 00:59   #1
Lt.

I've been reading lately, and am wondering what kind of Rudders you guys have, skeg, or spade, or double hung with an aperture for the prop, or other?

On another, similarish topic, if your boat was built without a tillar, do you have some sort of back up way of hooking up an emergency tillar in case the helm fails?
Lt. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2012, 03:34   #2

Boat: 1981 Ta Tong Cape Horn Cutter
Send a message via Skype™ to gts1544
Re: Rudders

As a casual cruiser, I would have to say that the vessel's steering system is one of the most "taken for granted" areas on the boat as it is "out of sight, out of mind"! Try steering your boat when it quits working! It can be done with sail trim, but is not for the faint of heart, particularly in close quarters. In 2 boats that I own, I have discovered a delaminated rudder full of water / a rusted chain over the wheel sprocket that was on the verge of freezing up and breaking / frayed cables between the sprocket chain and the quadrant / cables off of their pulleys / a rudder fitting that was on the verge of failure. Periodic competent inspections of your entire steering system will pay significant dividends, not the least of which is "peace of mind"! The rusted rudder bracket was discovered because I noticed a small rust streak running down the leading edge of the rudder and skeg. I could have ignored it at my peril! gts1544
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	10-05-11  Carefrees Upper Rudder Support - IMG_0502.JPG
Views:	139
Size:	247.9 KB
ID:	43864   Click image for larger version

Name:	10-07-09c  Carefrees New Upper Rudder Support - IMG_0824.JPG
Views:	173
Size:	148.8 KB
ID:	43865  

Click image for larger version

Name:	10-07-09b  Carefrees New Upper Rudder Support - IMG_0824.JPG
Views:	160
Size:	166.2 KB
ID:	43866  
gts1544 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2012, 08:44   #3

Boat: OEM, proportional
Re: Rudders

My boat is still being built in my mind. Canoe stern, easy access to the top of the rudder to fit an emergency tiller. Still looking at rudder foil section, and whether to have a fenestrated rudder (works like flaps on a wing). Linkage to helm by chain, sprockets and shaft. Other emergency steering options include weather vane, cassette rudder, or yuloh, but I'll put in m best effort to build the main system strong and keep a close eye on it. How many cruisers do scheduled inspections of their vessels?