Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-03-2005, 17:18   #1

Rudder stuffing box

My boat has a "barndoor" rudder. The shaft below the quadrant has a section of hose with clamps covering what I believe is the "stuffing box" or bearing race.

The rudder has begun to bind, which makes me think that there's a problem either with the bearings or the shaft.

Is there a way to remove & replace the hose covering without removing the quadrant?

I can't find any info on what to expect in the way of work issues if I remove that hose.

The bottom of the rudder shaft rests on a bronze "shoe", so dropping the rudder is a major job.
Old 21-03-2005, 17:20   #2

Don,

I just did this for the same reason on my Cheoy Lee 41. I removed the quadrant ( had to be careful, heated it, WD40, heated etc. ), removed the bronze shoe under the rudder, supported the rudder in place with boxes. I then removed the stuffing box top plate and then a horizontal bolt which "holds the rudder up". The whole thing dropped a few inches. I removed the boxes underneath and the rudder dropped out of the boat. I did have to dig a small ditch under the rudder to get it to clear the hull. This whole process once I had removed the quadrant took 2-3 hours by myself. It was much easier than I thought. I hope this helps.

Scott
S/V Invitation
By Invitation is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rudder