Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-05-2019, 14:25   #1

Boat: Pearson Countess 44
rudder stiff to turn: loosen stuffing box nut?

I think this is probably a pretty dumb question, and one I could answer for myself with a little experimentation, but I figured someone on the forum might have some advice that will save me time and frustration.... After having our boat hauled and the rudder replaced, which came with a fair bit of drama not worth going into, it has been stiffer--that is, harder to turn. It works well, but it is a little stiffer than I would like. The bushing in the shoe is fine (this is an old, full keep boat, with a shoe at the bottom of the rudder post), but I wonder if the stiffness might be relieved by loosening the stuffing box just a bit? That is, if the stuffing box was over tightened when the rudder was re-installed, wouldn't that explain the stiffness? And would it make sense to back off a bit on the stuffing box nut while the boat is in the water to see if the stiffness is relieved before water starts coming in around the rudder post?
Bill Streever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 15:45   #2

Boat: Cal 9.2 30 ft
Re: rudder stiff to turn: loosen stuffing box nut?

It sounds like the boat is still on dry land?
Once you put it in the water, if the stuffing box is under water, it should be lubricated by the water and turn easier. You probably will end up adjusting it some, but I would only do it with the boat in the water, so you can see the effects.
krivanj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 16:02   #3

Boat: Pearson Countess 44

We were in the water sailing for a season, and it was stiffer than I would like the entire time. I thought about loosening the packing nut, but never got around to it (access involves taking out one of the battery banks, and, well, you know, I was having too good a time to worry about it).

Now we are on the hard doing the usual maintenance. Sounds like it might make sense for me to try to back off on the packing nut once we are back in the water?
Bill Streever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 16:08   #4

If the rudder is hard to turn, it is almost certainly NOT the packing. For that to make a difference, it would have to be HORRENDOUSLY tight because the steering system has a LOT of leverage on it. I don't even think it is possible to tighten it that much unless things are swollen from corrosion.

Assuming you have a typical cable steering system...

Have you checked all the sheaves? Are they oiled as they should be? Is the cable lead fair? Is there something rubbing that shouldn't be? Have you disconnected the cables from the rudder and tried moving it by hand?
billknny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 17:38   #5

Boat: McCurdy & Rhodes Custom 46
rudder stiff to turn: loosen stuffing box nut?

I’ve had the experience (twice) of rebuilding cable and chain steering systems and finding that a lot of the friction was from the shaft packing. Removed it, cleaned out, new GFO packing. Big difference.
Mind you kk like to be able to steer with my fingertips so neither system was really heavy to start with.
And I second the suggestion to check the sheaves and the whole system carefully.
dfelsent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 18:11   #6

Boat: Custom Freya 20m

I have had a seriously stiff steering issue which turned out to be corrosion of the inner surface of the rudder tube.

Sounds like you have had issues with the rudder shaft Which have been addressed so hopefully that does not apply but something to consider.
stillbuilding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 19:01   #7

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Don't know how your rudder shaft is supported in the tube, but many boats have nylon or similar plastic sleeve bearings there, and they have a habit of slowly absorbing water and swellling up slightly. Being constrained by the tube, the ID is reduced and thus grips the rudder post tightly, causing drag. This is a pain to remediate, 'cause ya gotta drop the rudder and ream out the sleeve to restore normal clearance. Hope that this isn't your case!

Jim
Old 13-05-2019, 08:39   #8

Boat: 1988 Hunter Legend 35

to add to Jim's details about the nylon sleeve, I have that configuration on my Cal 2-29.

A couple of seasons ago the rudder suddenly got very stiff to turn, luckily just before the end of season haul out.

I dropped the rudder to find the sleeve had fragmented with some of the pieces slipping down effectively doubling the width, resolution was 'just' to replace the sleeve and all has been good since

G
grae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2019, 09:28   #9

Boat: Morgan OI 37

Had the same problem with my Morgan 37
Dropped the rudder
Installed new silicone bronze bushing in shoe
Emery cloth on the post and new grease.
New packing and re-tightened the nut.
Still stiff...
Loosened quadrant cables and voila all good.
BobLoucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2019, 11:12   #10

Boat: Homebuilt schooner 64 ft. Sold.

You would be wise to cure this issue before you go back in the water. Loosen the nut would be your first choice after lubricating the system. If that doesn’t cure the problem just take the packing assembly apart.
captlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2019, 05:20   #11

Boat: 2000 Searay 380 Sundancer

When my boat is on land for maintenance I yank the rudders, clean / polish the shafts, lube the shafts / blocks / supports, then properly install / replace / tighten the rudders.

The rudders always have proper movement / action before and after service.
wingless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2019, 05:29   #12

Boat: 73´ULDB custom ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLoucks View Post
H
Loosened quadrant cables and voila all good.
Always first thing to try!
MartinR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rudder