Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-06-2010, 11:03   #1

Rudder Replacement / Repair Cost ?

I just got some bad news.

I had my boat hauled for service on thru-hulls, and today I got a call from the yard saying there is extensive pitting in the rudder shaft. (Which was not picked up in the survey 2 years ago.)

He was saying that either a new rudder or complicated repairs to the current one may be needed.

To make matters worse my boat is of the full-keel barn-door rudder type.

I was wondering if anyone had a sense of how much these kinds of jobs can cost?

I have just left my job, given up my apartment and am preparing to go cruising, so this is bad news indeed. I'm hoping it is possible to get it done within a month and for a cost that doesn't send me back to the the drawing board - and worse - back to work.

Let me know if anyone has any time or cost-saving suggestions about this.

Thanks.
sgtPluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 11:58   #2

Boat: Sabre 36 - Daydream
Rudder Replacement

I just had to replace the rudder on my Sabre 36 for the same reason. Cost of new rudder from manuf. ~$2,500 plus cost of pulling boat and labor to install.
coultereng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 12:09   #3

Boat: gulfstar ketch 41 Surya
The rudder manufacturer to talk to is Foss Foam, I would guess. He quoted me 4k for a new one. If you had pitting that sounds like electrolysis problems.
S/V_Surya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 12:23   #4

Thanks,
coultereng, was that Sabre who got you a new rudder for $2.5k?

I called Foss Foam but haven't heard back yet. They don't have a mold for my boat, so I guess I'd have to ship them my rudder.

I am worried about the electrolysis problem - there was no mention of pitting in my survey. I did have zincs on the propshaft put in each year, and I had a zinc fish attached to the rigging over the winter. I checked the fish with a voltmeter and was getting a reading of maybe .25v - I assumed that meant it was working.
Old 11-06-2010, 12:39   #5

Boat: Outbound 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtPluck View Post
I just got some bad news.
Maybe its good news. Better to find rudder issues in the yard than 1,000 miles offshore. I'm sure you didn't want to hear this or any of the other items that seem to conspire to keep you from leaving. Do you know the construction of the rudder? Is it wood or foam FRP? I believe it is just a barn door rudder, no foil shape, so the construction of a new one is not that complicated. Does the yard you are in have experience with these rebuilds? If so, have them give you a quote.

Paul L
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 12:51   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
Maybe its good news.
Haha, good point, thanks. I am trying to be 'philosophical' about it.

I meant barn door more in terms of size, not construction. But I guess the amount of FRP or steel in the rudder isn't the biggest cost, it's the labor.
Old 11-06-2010, 12:55   #7

Boat: Outbound 44
Shape is a big part of the labor. I believe yours is a barn door rudder, i.e. no foil shape. That makes building a new one a lot easier and cheaper. Make sure you check on the quality of stainless or bronze used in the replacement.

Paul L
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 17:01   #8

Boat: Seafarer 30 Impetuous
Having rebuilt mine, I would not hesitate to build / rebuild your own. There are a few guys who have built their own, and have posted lots of info / pics on how to do it. A heavy duty stainless pipe, and the stainless tangs / framework inside could be cut and welded for a decent price.

I would cut the old one down the middle, saving it for a mold, or to epoxy back together, after replacing the stainless stock and framework. Foam inside, and multiple layers of cloth on the outside to hold it all together.

Once cut open, see what size / guage stainless everything is, and go to a bulk / scrap metal yard, looking for 316 stainess.

Coudl be done for a few hundred bucks. And you will know what you have, when you are done. I welded in lots of extra tangs / gussets for strength, while I had mine open. Only cost some scrap stainless and a few welding rods.
Northeaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 17:06   #9

Boat: Seafarer 30 Impetuous
Here's a link to one of the members who did a grat job building a new one. You may be able to make a similar framework, and even salvage the outside skins.

- Cruisers & Sailing Photo Gallery
Northeaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
repairs, rudder