Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 15-02-2010, 20:30   #1
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"
Rudder Post Leak - Help!

OK, I'm pretty good with most things on the boat. However, I'm pretty much at a loss here - so I'm looking for some help.

We have a tiny leak - more like a seep - at the top of the rudder post. Here are the photos:

I'm GUESSING that there is a packing gland in there? And that it looks like it's been tightened as far as it will go?

What is involved in "fixing" this?

TIA,

Old 15-02-2010, 20:32   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: '76 Allied Seawind II, 32'
that is a packing gland.....just like on the shaft, repack with packing cut in do-nuts with a tapered end and insert.

Old 15-02-2010, 20:55   #3

Boat: Mesqua Ukee, Buccaneer 40 (Salar 40)
You might want to take a peek at the bolt that is scrapping against the arm. There appears to be a wear mark with fresh rust covering it. Definitely a no no.

I would not be surprised if it was a factor contributing to or causing the slow leak.
Just a guess but I would not be surprised if the rudder post slowly dropped down due to wear. The arm hit the bolt shoving it just a bit sideways causing just a bit of misalignment and since the packing or seal was "broken in" (lost some flexibility) a slight leak developed.
You might be lucky, cut the end of the bolt off and see if the leak slows or stops. Might save a haulout. Bolts are cheap.
Old 15-02-2010, 21:08   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Hmmm. Last time I checked, there did not seem to be a gap above the rudder that was out of the ordinary. It DOES seem curious that it's rubbing there.

I think I know the answer to this, but replacing the packing requires a haul out, doesn't it .... ???

Might just try hacking off some bolts! And giving that packing the last 1/2 turn...
Old 16-02-2010, 20:52   #5

Boat: Bruce Roberts Offshore 38
You can replace the packing while in the water, just be prepared for some ingress until you get it sorted out.

The arm that is rubbing against the bolt looks like it was added for an autopilot, and will need to come off to get access to the packing, so take the oppertunity to have it trimmed down to clear.

Not really good for anything, but fun to push down the stairs.
rustypirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2010, 20:58   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I don't think that looking at that gland I'd call it "replacing" the packing, just "adding" packing would suffice.
Old 16-02-2010, 23:12   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Hmm. How do I keep the rudder from assuming a horizontal position on the bottom of the marina?
Old 17-02-2010, 07:45   #8

Boat: Mesqua Ukee, Buccaneer 40 (Salar 40)
What is holding it up now?
The arm rubbing against the bolt can be removed as it is appears to be split. If you are only adding stuffing material you may not need to remove the quadrant. The end plate on the stuffing box has a collar on it extending down into the fitting. It may be a bit difficult but you should be able to jam new material into this space.
Leakage should be minimal as you will not be removing the old stuffing.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f55/rudder-post-leak-help-36601-new-post.html
Old 17-02-2010, 08:19   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesquaukee View Post
What is holding it up now?
The arm rubbing against the bolt can be removed as it is appears to be split.
Wow. I'm USUALLY more observant than that! GREAT idea.
Old 21-03-2011, 08:42   #10

Re: Rudder Post Leak - Help!

I think you have more than a leak here. It appears that the shaft bearings have basically disintegrated (shaft angle all wrong) and the quadrant has somehow become misaligned (hence the bolt dragging on the base of the quadrant. This is a haul out repair.

Seahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2011, 08:49   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seahunter View Post
I think you have more than a leak here. It appears that the shaft bearings have basically disintegrated (shaft angle all wrong) and the quadrant has somehow become misaligned (hence the bolt dragging on the base of the quadrant. This is a haul out repair.
If you can determine that the bearings are shot and the quadrand is out of alignment from those pictures, your imigination is far better than mine.
Old 21-03-2011, 09:00   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

definitely,remove the auto pilot arm,which has been added at a later date,will probably need to use a blow torch to loosen the machine hex bolts.

then it should be fairly easy to repack stuffing box,which probably uses 8 mm packing.

this is a self alighning stuffing box so it shouldnt make a big difference if the rudder shaft bearings are worn,but worth dropping the rudder next time you are out the water to check that,other wise no problem to repack stuffing box in the water.
Old 21-03-2011, 09:41   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
If you can determine that the bearings are shot and the quadrand is out of alignment from those pictures, your imigination is far better than mine.
Perhaps.
Attachment 25304
The even depth at the bottom of the flange indicates the shaft is probably close to its installed position, while the top flange is distorted and uneven. There is also the case of the interference, and as indicated by the position of the shaft on the lower flange that something has moved at the top position. As the interference is at the upper flange and that the shaft stuffing box hasn't moved, then the quadrant has moved indicated by the uneven distance distances between the flange and the quadrant. Then there's the missing nut connecting the two flanges. It appears to have been sheared off, however it's not a very good picture.
Attachment 25305
It is quite clear from this shot that the rudder shaft is out of alignment as seen by the uneven distances on either side of the flange. Again, the interference of the bolt on the quadrant indicates some kind of compression action creating the misalignment. It's as if the quadrant shaft has a broken key (bolts or pin) and the quadrant itself has slid downwards.

Seahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2011, 12:08   #14
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lancer 44 Motorsailer

I agree with Seahunter. I suspect that the rudder has dropped by an inch or so because of a shot bearing. The bolts on the packing gland are what is holding the quadrant and hence the rudder up. Send a diver down to verify. You can replace the bearing and repack the gland while in the water, however having a diver standing by might be prudent.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: