Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-01-2015, 18:51   #91
Senior Cruiser
 
Ocean Girl's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: In transit ( Texas to wherever the wind blows us)
Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34
Posts: 4,115
Images: 2
Re: Rudder Packing Gland to Steering Quadrant Leak

Thanks Stumble. Seabrook called us this afternoon and said they may be able to work on the rudder tomorrow. He said he will call us in the am. If we don't like what we see, we will call Steve, I've already checked out how to get to his yard from here. Money is not an issue with us, it's all about quality work. Steering and rudder are pretty darn important 😀This is pretty straight forward if the frozen bolts don't become too big of an issue. But if it does become complicated I'd like someone with intelligence and good work ethics to be there.
Thanks again for responding to my pm
Cheers
Erika
__________________

__________________
Mrs. Rain Dog~Ocean Girl
https://raindogps34.wordpress.com
Ocean Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2015, 06:45   #92
Moderator
 
HappyMdRSailor's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: May 2008
Location: North Mississippi
Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon-C22 Chrysler Sunpiper- 19 Potter-Preparing to cruise w/my girl
Posts: 5,980
Re: Rudder Packing Gland to Steering Quadrant Leak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean Girl View Post
Thanks Stumble. Seabrook called us this afternoon and said they may be able to work on the rudder tomorrow. He said he will call us in the am. If we don't like what we see, we will call Steve, I've already checked out how to get to his yard from here. Money is not an issue with us, it's all about quality work. Steering and rudder are pretty darn important 😀This is pretty straight forward if the frozen bolts don't become too big of an issue. But if it does become complicated I'd like someone with intelligence and good work ethics to be there.
Thanks again for responding to my pm
Cheers
Erika
I'm on my way.... I could use some non issue funding....

AND...

My work ethics are impeccable.... My morals are however questionable...
__________________

__________________
In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair...

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2015, 07:33   #93
Moderator
 
a64pilot's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Albany Ga.
Boat: Island Packet 38
Posts: 17,062
Re: Rudder Packing Gland to Steering Quadrant Leak

With it hauled and what that costs, I'd be real sure there is nothing else that needs doing while it's on the hard, I don't know, zincs, seacocks, cleaning strainers, whatever.
__________________
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2015, 09:34   #94
Senior Cruiser
 
Ocean Girl's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: In transit ( Texas to wherever the wind blows us)
Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34
Posts: 4,115
Images: 2
Re: Rudder Packing Gland to Steering Quadrant Leak

The boat will be in the water for the initial attempt to pack the rudder. If they can move the steering quadrant up a few inches then haul out won't be necessary. But I wanted to be at/near haul out in case we did get into something like dropping the rudder, replacing the gaiter south of the packing gland, or God forbid, broke the steering system.

Our rudder, seacocks, cutlass bearings have all been checked when we had the boat haul out last month. This leaked was allowed to go unchecked because we thought it was coming through the propane locker vent( a common psc34 tick). It was always a small leak. But once we left it became an issue. I wonder if the heat from the engine fire is what caused it to become a big leak..?

Seabrook called this morning, said they would be over to the boat this afternoon or Friday depending on the rain. So our departure time is delayed, but that's cruising for ya. Luckily we have good long weather window.
Erika
__________________
Mrs. Rain Dog~Ocean Girl
https://raindogps34.wordpress.com
Ocean Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2015, 09:53   #95
Moderator
 
a64pilot's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Albany Ga.
Boat: Island Packet 38
Posts: 17,062
Re: Rudder Packing Gland to Steering Quadrant Leak

I'll bet they just bust the bolts, or maybe with an impact you'll get lucky and they will come loose, an impact is almost magic, it can "hit" a fastener with enough force to move it, but it's such a short "hit" it won't break it, maybe. Most do have enough torque to wring off small stuff like that.
I'm betting they will be able to do it in the water, and your engine fire had nothing to do with it failing, just age got to the packing is all I think, may well be original.
__________________
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2015, 10:14   #96
Senior Cruiser
 
Cheechako's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Skagit City, WA
Posts: 19,369
Re: Rudder Packing Gland to Steering Quadrant Leak

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I'll bet they just bust the bolts, or maybe with an impact you'll get lucky and they will come loose, an impact is almost magic, it can "hit" a fastener with enough force to move it, but it's such a short "hit" it won't break it, maybe. Most do have enough torque to wring off small stuff like that.
I'm betting they will be able to do it in the water, and your engine fire had nothing to do with it failing, just age got to the packing is all I think, may well be original.
Yep... a good air impact wrench will break those all off in a couple minutes. The problem is... what if the non- thru ones break and leave the rest in the aluminum?
We'll know soon I guess!!
__________________
"I spent most of my money on Booze, Broads and Boats. The rest I wasted" - Elmore Leonard











Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2015, 13:42   #97
Resin Head
 
minaret's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Seattle WA
Boat: Nauticat
Posts: 7,201
Images: 52
Re: Rudder Packing Gland to Steering Quadrant Leak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Yep... a good air impact wrench will break those all off in a couple minutes. The problem is... what if the non- thru ones break and leave the rest in the aluminum?
We'll know soon I guess!!

This is why heat and a less powerful impact wrench are often a better solution.
__________________
O you who turn the wheel and look to windward,

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2015, 15:27   #98
Registered User
 
Warby12's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: East Coast, Australia
Boat: Wauquiez Amphitrite 43
Posts: 277
Re: Rudder Packing Gland to Steering Quadrant Leak

A question on heat which may sound silly

Heat causes the item heated to expand. So if you heated the bolts they would become bigger in the hole and therefore tighter?
If you heated the quadrant, the quandrant would expand making it "bigger" would that not make the holes for the bolts smaller and therefore tighter?

I know I'm wrong and that heat does work but I've always wondered about which bit to heat.
__________________
Warby12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2015, 15:39   #99
Moderator
 
a64pilot's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Albany Ga.
Boat: Island Packet 38
Posts: 17,062
Re: Rudder Packing Gland to Steering Quadrant Leak

Usually you heat the whole thing and due to different thermal expansion rates the heat causes the corrosion or whatever to break free. Try as you might, it's just not possible to heat just the bolt, aluminum absorbs and transfers heat rather well, I think better than steel

All my impacts are adjustable as to how much force is applied. I've never used the electric that came with my drill/driver set, but I assume it's not an on or off thing either

Of course I don't know why, but actually tightening and then loosening a fastener will sometimes make it break free.


Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
__________________
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2015, 15:55   #100
Senior Cruiser
 
Cheechako's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Skagit City, WA
Posts: 19,369
Re: Rudder Packing Gland to Steering Quadrant Leak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warby12 View Post
A question on heat which may sound silly

Heat causes the item heated to expand. So if you heated the bolts they would become bigger in the hole and therefore tighter?
If you heated the quadrant, the quandrant would expand making it "bigger" would that not make the holes for the bolts smaller and therefore tighter?

I know I'm wrong and that heat does work but I've always wondered about which bit to heat.
It is confusing... and quite an art. I believe heating the housing will actually expand the holes. Likely because the expansion of the whole assembly is greater than the meat around the hole..?
__________________
"I spent most of my money on Booze, Broads and Boats. The rest I wasted" - Elmore Leonard











Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2015, 16:15   #101
Senior Cruiser
 
colemj's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Presently on US East Coast
Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Posts: 10,049
Images: 12
Re: Rudder Packing Gland to Steering Quadrant Leak

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
All my impacts are adjustable as to how much force is applied. I've never used the electric that came with my drill/driver set, but I assume it's not an on or off thing either

Of course I don't know why, but actually tightening and then loosening a fastener will sometimes make it break free.
The freebie impact driver that came with my cordless drill is variable.

Applying a tightening force before loosening is always step one for me! Amazing how well, and often, this works.

From the pictures, that quadrant doesn't look very bad at all. Frankly, it looks so good that I thought there would be no problem with the bolts. Ours look worse, and I don't have a problem getting them apart.

I'm betting that it is simply a leverage/space issue and those bolts are going to spin right out with an impact driver. I think this will be an easy job with no drama.

Hope I'm right!

Mark
__________________
www.svreach.com

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2015, 16:41   #102
Senior Cruiser
 
Jim Cate's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: May 2008
Location: cruising SW Pacific
Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Posts: 11,463
Re: Rudder Packing Gland to Steering Quadrant Leak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warby12 View Post
A question on heat which may sound silly

Heat causes the item heated to expand. So if you heated the bolts they would become bigger in the hole and therefore tighter?
If you heated the quadrant, the quandrant would expand making it "bigger" would that not make the holes for the bolts smaller and therefore tighter?

I know I'm wrong and that heat does work but I've always wondered about which bit to heat.
G'Day Warby,

There are two factors involved:

First, when you heat any solid object with a hole in it, the diameter of the hole increases from the thermal expansion, not decreases. Didn't you do an experiment in about fourth grade science where you heated a brass ring and the ball that sat upon it fell through? It may not be intuitive, but it is so!

Second, in this case, the thermal expansion coefficient of Aluminium is significantly greater than that of s/s, and that further increases the clearance as the temperature rises.

As to which to heat... if it was possible to heat the Aluminium quadrant without heating the bolt the effect would be maximized, but that is difficult to do in most cases, so one does the best one can with the torch!

Cheers,

Jim
__________________
Jim and Ann s/v Insatiable II , lying Port Cygnet, Tasmania once again
Jim Cate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2015, 16:47   #103
RTB
Registered User
 
RTB's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Home port Kemah, TX Currently in Brunswick Georgia
Boat: Hunter 36
Posts: 1,509
Images: 2
Re: Rudder Packing Gland to Steering Quadrant Leak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean Girl View Post
Luckily we have good long weather window.
Erika
Best wishes getting your problem solved quickly, and get down to the keys and Bahamas where it's warmer.

Ralph
RTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2015, 03:22   #104
Certifiable Refitter/Senior Wannbe
 
Wotname's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: South of 43 S, Australia
Boat: Van DeStat Super Dogger 31'
Posts: 7,332
Re: Rudder Packing Gland to Steering Quadrant Leak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
.......
First, when you heat any solid object with a hole in it, the diameter of the hole increases from the thermal expansion, not decreases. Didn't you do an experiment in about fourth grade science where you heated a brass ring and the ball that sat upon it fell through? It may not be intuitive, but it is so!
Think of it this way.
Heat a straight length of metal - it gets longer, right - intuitive!
Now blend this now longer length of metal into a circle; of course the diameter of the circle must be bigger than that of the cold length (bigger circumference = bigger diameter) - intuitive, right!


Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
As to which to heat... if it was possible to heat the Aluminium quadrant without heating the bolt the effect would be maximized, but that is difficult to do in most cases, so one does the best one can with the torch!

Cheers,

Jim
Yep, heat it all and then spray some freezer spray onto the bolt head or whatever bit you want smaller.

Heat (& cold) is always your friend when metal bits are frozen together
__________________
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2015, 03:42   #105
Certifiable Refitter/Senior Wannbe
 
Wotname's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: South of 43 S, Australia
Boat: Van DeStat Super Dogger 31'
Posts: 7,332
Re: Rudder Packing Gland to Steering Quadrant Leak

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Usually you heat the whole thing and due to different thermal expansion rates the heat causes the corrosion or whatever to break free. Try as you might, it's just not possible to heat just the bolt, aluminum absorbs and transfers heat rather well, I think better than steel
You think right!
A rule of thumb; if a metal conducts electricity well, it conducts heat well.
Thus copper is great at heat conduction, aluminium is pretty good, steel is average and stainless steel is below average.
Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post

Of course I don't know why, but actually tightening and then loosening a fastener will sometimes make it break free.


Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
I don't know why either but I always thought it had something to do with how the thread surfaces are tensioned against each other. Presumably when the bolt is torqued up, one side of the respective thread surface is different to the other side. Thus when tightening the stuck bolt, these stresses are reversed a tiny bit. Of course this might be be pure BS
__________________

__________________
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
packing gland, rudder, steering

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
rudder shaft packing gland joker4142 Construction, Maintenance & Refit 7 11-04-2012 05:53
Leaking rudder post with no packing gland surfmachine Construction, Maintenance & Refit 0 20-03-2011 20:31
Packing (Stern) Gland - How Tight Is Too Tight ? sneuman Construction, Maintenance & Refit 23 26-08-2010 18:11
Corrosion on Rudder Post Above the Packing Gland Tom Foley Construction, Maintenance & Refit 0 25-04-2010 17:31
Overheating packing gland - what should I do ? ribbony Propellers & Drive Systems 25 22-04-2008 14:03



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 16:03.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.