Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-10-2013, 03:01   #1

Boat: Van De Stadt Excalibur 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Bluewaters2812
Rudder nightmare at sea

Well folks, every sailor has a fear of something. We have just been through a massive ordeal and are appealing for any help we can get. We were 72nm out in the Caribbean off Martinique (on our way from Grenada to St. Martin). Doing 6.5knots in 16knots of wind on a starboard broad reach in our 2007 Beneteau Oceanis 50 when suddenly without warning our rudder sheared right off! Yes, you read it right.

We managed to get a little control and direction with the sails but it was a hopeless situation. I immediately activated an emergency distress call on our VHF, giving our position. Called a PAN PAN PAN multiple times etc. After an hour or so of this I decided to activate the EPIRB.

We were lucky. A fishing boat had moved into range of our VHF and picked up our distress call and position and made way to us. To cut a long story short, they managed to tow us for 29 long, gruelling hours through lumpy 6-8 foot seas in increasing winds of 18-25knots.

Somehow the EPIRB got wound around the propeller and broke away while we were attempting to re-attach a broken tow-line (the 5th time). So much to tell but we are now safe with our boat moored on a fishing jetty in Case-Pilote, Martinique.

Our problem now is to get a new rudder ordered and fitted. With a deep draft we have no option but to be towed again to Le Marin in the South of Martinique. That we have managed to put in place and another 6-7 hours tow awaits us.

What we don't know is how to source a replacement rudder from Beneteau. Is there anyone in our community here that can assist us with info on where to source a rudder. As one might appreciate we have been through a huge ordeal, which isn't over yet. We want to get a rudder professionally fitted and hope to be able to afford and continue our liveaboard lifestyle. So, if there is anyone out there that can be of assistance with our predicament please give us any useful information that you can.
Bluewaters2812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2013, 03:15   #2

Boat: Island Packet 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluewaters2812 View Post
Well folks, every sailor has a fear of something. We have just been through a massive ordeal and are appealing for any help we can get. We were 72nm out in the Caribbean off Martinique (on our way from Grenada to St. Martin). Doing 6.5knots in 16knots of wind on a starboard broad reach in our 2007 Beneteau Oceanis 50 when suddenly without warning our rudder sheared right off! Yes, you read it right. We managed to get a little control and direction with the sails but it was a hopeless situation. I immediately activated an emergency distress call on our VHF, giving our position. Called a PAN PAN PAN multiple times etc. After an hour or so of this I decided to activate the EPIRB. We were lucky. A fishing boat had moved into range of our VHF and picked up our distress call and position and made way to us. To cut a long story short, they managed to tow us for 29 long, gruelling hours through lumpy 6-8 foot seas in increasing winds of 18-25knots. Somehow the EPIRB got wound around the propeller and broke away while we were attempting to re-attach a broken tow-line (the 5th time). So much to tell but we are now safe with our boat moored on a fishing jetty in Case-Pilote, Martinique. Our problem now is to get a new rudder ordered and fitted. With a deep draft we have no option but to be towed again to Le Marin in the South of Martinique. That we have managed to put in place and another 6-7 hours tow awaits us. What we don't know is how to source a replacement rudder from Beneteau. Is there anyone in our community here that can assist us with info on where to source a rudder. As one might appreciate we have been through a huge ordeal, which isn't over yet. We want to get a rudder professionally fitted and hope to be able to afford and continue our liveaboard lifestyle. So, if there is anyone out there that can be of assistance with our predicament please give us any useful information that you can.
I sent a copy of your post to Beneteau; I hope they will respond here. It sounds like you might have a warranty claim. I don't have any local knowledge to add, and I'm sure the rest of the forum will chime in soon. Good luck and hang in there!
SV Sea Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2013, 03:18   #3

Re: Rudder nightmare at sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Sea Monkey View Post
I sent a copy of your post to Beneteau; I hope they will respond here. It sounds like you might have a warranty claim. I don't have any local knowledge to add, and I'm sure the rest of the forum will chime in soon. Good luck and hang in there!

Thank you for this, moral support is very helpful too.
Old 24-10-2013, 03:25   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cabo Rico 38

I feel for you.. 352-529-1104 ph no for Foss rudders. They are the largest rudder manufacture around located in Central Fl.
casual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2013, 03:29   #5

Been there, done that. Foss Foam built a rudder for my boat when we lost our rudder. Call Al @ 352-529-1104. Took them a couple weeks to build our rudder. They can also crate it up and help arrange the shipping. From the time we told them to start it took about two weeks to build the rudder and get it to the boat over in Grand cay. The rudder was $4200.00 and I put it on myself while the boat was in the water. Good luck!
jkangas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2013, 03:30   #6

Oops I see casual is already on it. Go team!:-)
Old 24-10-2013, 03:33   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by casual View Post
I feel for you.. 352-529-1104 ph no for Foss rudders. They are the largest rudder manufacture around located in Central Fl.
Thank you very much for that, much appreciated.
Old 24-10-2013, 03:36   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkangas View Post
Been there, done that. Foss Foam built a rudder for my boat when we lost our rudder. Call Al @ 352-529-1104. Took them a couple weeks to build our rudder. They can also crate it up and help arrange the shipping. From the time we told them to start it took about two weeks to build the rudder and get it to the boat over in Grand cay. The rudder was $4200.00 and I put it on myself while the boat was in the water. Good luck!
Thank you very much for your response. What boat did you have to replace the rudder on? It would be great if we could fit it in the water but not sure that is possible with the Beneteau Oceanis 50. There is a rudder bearing that needs to be glued/epoxied and I don't think that can be done without hauling out?
Old 24-10-2013, 03:37   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Eloi SOULEZ Foreign Sales & Design Skype : eloi.soulez JP3 Ph : +33 (0)5 46 35 10 78 ZI du port Fax : +33 (0)5 46 35 10 93 17230 Marans FRANCE Website : www.jp3steering.com

try these guys they may have the mold's from bennteau,if they do not have stock
a rudder for a 43 cost about 4000 euro plus shipping,takes about 6 weeks to fabricate.
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2013, 03:43   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
Eloi SOULEZ Foreign Sales & Design Skype : eloi.soulez JP3 Ph : +33 (0)5 46 35 10 78 ZI du port Fax : +33 (0)5 46 35 10 93 17230 Marans FRANCE Website : www.jp3steering.com

try these guys they may have the mold's from bennteau,if they do not have stock
a rudder for a 43 cost about 4000 euro plus shipping,takes about 6 weeks to fabricate.
Thanks Atoll, ouch, I knew it would hurt.
Old 24-10-2013, 03:51   #11

Quote:

Thank you very much for your response. What boat did you have to replace the rudder on? It would be great if we could fit it in the water but not sure that is possible with the Beneteau Oceanis 50. There is a rudder bearing that needs to be glued/epoxied and I don't think that can be done without hauling out?
Hunter 466. My boat has marlon bearings that are press fit. Tapped the bottom bearing out from the cockpit and tapped the top one out using a rod from underneath the boat. I feel for you! It's a bad feeling looking behind the boat and seeing the rudder drifting away. I'll call Foss foam for you in a couple hours and get some feedback from Al if you wish.
Old 24-10-2013, 03:53   #12

Where did the rudder fail? Post?
Old 24-10-2013, 03:55   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkangas View Post
Hunter 466. My boat has marlon bearings that are press fit. Tapped the bottom bearing out from the cockpit and tapped the top one out using a rod from underneath the boat. I feel for you! It's a bad feeling looking behind the boat and seeing the rudder drifting away. I'll call Foss foam for you in a couple hours and get some feedback from Al if you wish.
Thank you my friend, I would appreciate that. Yes, it was a horrible feeling watching an apparently intact rudder float away. I tried to get the sail config right and twice managed to get a bit of the way to it but there was no chance and I eventually watched it disappear.

We feel very low right now but we are determined to cross this bridge. I only wish we were in the USA where we could be assured of a decent job being done. I don't have too much faith in this part of the world but I may yet be pleasantly surprised.
Old 24-10-2013, 04:04   #14
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Thank you my friend, I would appreciate that. Yes, it was a horrible feeling watching an apparently intact rudder float away. I tried to get the sail config right and twice managed to get a bit of the way to it but there was no chance and I eventually watched it disappear.

We feel very low right now but we are determined to cross this bridge. I only wish we were in the USA where we could be assured of a decent job being done. I don't have too much faith in this part of the world but I may yet be pleasantly surprised.
you are probably in the best place,since it is a french boat,and there is a good chance that beneteau deal directly with Le Marine boat yard.
probably a few bene50's that are hurricane damaged lying around there!
rudder will most probably have to come from france,so using a french yard will be a bonus.
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2013, 04:06   #15

Ok just talked to Al. He just did an Oceanis rudder. Is your post still intact? He said the beneteau usually lose the rudder blade off the post and they can be rebuilt which will save you a fair amount of money. Tropical shipping can probably get the post to them. Got to get to work. We can continue this conversation in about 1/2 hour.

Tags
rudder