Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-11-2013, 14:06   #346

Re: Rudder nightmare at sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
Or it may have had something to do with that rock the previous owner fetched up on……….

Mark
..chuckle...your right, we are just guessing
bfloyd4445 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 15:03   #347

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

No, I meant that the previous owner actually did fetch up on a rock and had damage.

That's the problem with long threads - lots of info gets forgotten or passed over.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 18:05   #348

May I chime in...

As a former commercial net fisherman from Florida ( before the laws were put in place ).
I wouldn't own any type of boat with a spade rudder . Lots of long lines and drifting nets to get caught up on something thats guiding a vessel that has their family aboard . Also, honestly I don't believe Ole Man Beneteau would build these boats the way that they are being built today. A family boat should be thinking about the family and not racing performance. Thank You .
CaribbeanCraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 19:53   #349

I was inspecting a new fp lipari 41 at boat show 3 days ago and couldn't find an emergency tiller access hole on deck over the ruder shafts, so asked the rep who seemed bemused i should even enquire. I was even more bemused that it was absent.
guvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 20:51   #350

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaribbeanCraig View Post
May I chime in...

As a former commercial net fisherman from Florida ( before the laws were put in place ).
I wouldn't own any type of boat with a spade rudder . Lots of long lines and drifting nets to get caught up on something thats guiding a vessel that has their family aboard . Also, honestly I don't believe Ole Man Beneteau would build these boats the way that they are being built today. A family boat should be thinking about the family and not racing performance. Thank You .
Yes if they had skegs they would be less snag prone and far stronger overall---plus would also steer better...... Long ago I had a Newport 41 sloop that had a spade rudder----it was almost unmanageable off the wind......
geoleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 21:52   #351
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

A well-designed and built spade rudder will perform better than any skeg-attached rudder, and will be as strong or stronger. The problem is that apparently many spade rudders aren't designed or built as well as they need to be. Skegs have some advantages too (shedding lines, easier to make sturdy, etc), but don't assume that all spade rudders are weak and poorly-performing -- they aren't.

And for what it's worth, my boat has a good, solid, skeg-attached rudder.
Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com
Paul Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 14:06   #352

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Elliott View Post
A well-designed and built spade rudder will perform better than any skeg-attached rudder, and will be as strong or stronger. The problem is that apparently many spade rudders aren't designed or built as well as they need to be. Skegs have some advantages too (shedding lines, easier to make sturdy, etc), but don't assume that all spade rudders are weak and poorly-performing -- they aren't.

And for what it's worth, my boat has a good, solid, skeg-attached rudder.
But, the truth is is you smack something on the beam and the skeg or spade rudder takes the force there is gonna be a much larger chance of having major damage as opposed to a full keel vessel. I really feel safer around whales as long as my boat and rocks with a full keel. Yes I know they are slower but definitely safer
bfloyd4445 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 14:45   #353

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

In the meantime, let's kind of hold this space for bluewaters, if you all don't mind. I'm particularly interested to see what (if anything) they were able to do to help the vessel tow more manageably with the rudder gone.
Old 05-11-2013, 21:46   #354

Boat: Van De Stadt Excalibur 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Bluewaters2812

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
In the meantime, let's kind of hold this space for bluewaters, if you all don't mind. I'm particularly interested to see what (if anything) they were able to do to help the vessel tow more manageably with the rudder gone.
Thanks Ann. I have a small case of insomnia at the moment lol. Just read an email from the rep. Rudder is due to arrive 15-18 November according to him.

It will now be a case of deciding what products to use if the rudder arrives in an "unprepared" state, which I suspect it will.
Bluewaters2812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 08:25   #355
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold

Whatever you do, thoroughly remove any residue of the mold release compound before painting it. That wasn't done on our boat's bottom, and the anti-fouling paint peeled off in sheets the first time we hauled the boat. (Thankfully, the dealer didn't hesitate to make it good.)
Old 06-11-2013, 08:48   #356
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hud3 View Post
Whatever you do, thoroughly remove any residue of the mold release compound before painting it. That wasn't done on our boat's bottom, and the anti-fouling paint peeled off in sheets the first time we hauled the boat. (Thankfully, the dealer didn't hesitate to make it good.)

Easier said than done, mold release wax is tenacious. I wonder if the OP can acquire 202 in his present locale?

Your bottom was probably skip sanded. Lots of builders like to commission that way to save a buck.

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 08:53   #357

Boat: Jeanneau 57

Minaret - doesn't acetone work to get rid of the release chemicals? I am pretty sure I've seen tins of Interlux 202 at the various chandleries in the islands so that should be available.
Old 06-11-2013, 09:42   #358
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Good stuff Bluewaters... My participation in the discussion has been limited by the "sailing wifi blues"! (but most of us prefer the isolation... albeit frustration when we need connection for times like this!)

Glad things are going your way!!!

Next posts are not to lead from the progression and outcome of your plight, but for informative discussion...

Good luck my friend!

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 09:47   #359
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARC D View Post
Agreed 100%

I would be curious to see how a boat with a plywood board on a pole would be able to make any easting in the Caribbean Sea knowing how prevalent wind and especially current want to blow you away.

Now wouldn't this be a great read from a mag or PS!?!?!

We've all read the "pole and door (or table) accounts over the years... But wouldn't it be great for some publication to do an experiment with 3 or 4 methods on say full and fin keel boats???

I've done the drogue steerage routine, and it works in a pinch... but not that great!

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 10:04   #360

Has anyone tried reefing the main and using it for steering while under diesel propulsion ?
In calmer seas of course . just curious .
CaribbeanCraig is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rudder