Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-10-2013, 18:36   #286

Re: Rudder nightmare at sea

looks like you will be back out sailing soon. Thanks for sharing your experience with us.
bfloyd4445 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2013, 18:40   #287

Boat: Liberty 458
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluewaters2812 View Post
Hi folks, apologies for not keeping you up to speed, we had 2 days of internet failure and we were rushing around trying to resolve our predicament. Here is the latest:

1. We do not want to take any shortcuts and have ordered a brand new rudder from the Beneteau factory (being built already according to the rep and will be delivered to us where our boat is in about two weeks time). I really hope that proves true. We have ordered the three bearings with the rudder so that we are certain that we have the best and newest that Beneteau can provide.

2. Beneteau rep has said these rudders can be fitted in the water without hauling out and are providing a diver to do the job (our expense of course).

3. The rep asked there "experts" in Le Marin to have a look at the rudder post and give an opinion ... I was present at all times. They are of the opinion that sea water ingressed over a period of 2,3 or 4 years, which compromised a section of resin and this is where and why it snapped/failed). They were adamant that this was not recent.

4. Beneteau have advised that this is in fact a rudder/post for a Beneteau Cyclades (which is what I reckoned). They have said that the Cyclades and the Oceanis have identical rudders that are interchangeable. What they have conveniently not answered is my question as to whether it was at the factory that this particular rudder was fitted or whether it had been fitted to a Cyclades. It is important for me to know this because if it was not fitted by the factory to our Oceanis, then one of the previous owners replaced the original rudder and surely that would only be done because of damage. The bottom line is that either way, one of the previous owners in all probability clipped something that caused a hairline crack or similar that could not be seen by the naked eye. This then deteriorated over time to the point where we were the happy recipients of rudder loss at sea

5. The local fishermen at Case-Pilote have been really good to us, providing us with free water for our tanks as well as an electrical plug in at no charge. The local Volvo Penta dealer has kindly provided us with his internet password so that we can get internet.

We have to admit that Beneteau (if they keep to their promised delivery period), will be providing excellent support, for which we are grateful. We must hasten to add that we are also pleasantly surprised at the price for the complete rudder/post and 3 bearings plus sleeves etc. "2800.00 odd Euros plus delivery of about 1000.00 Euros (we are told by the rep but are waiting for the exact delivery figure).

Lastly (and I hope I haven't forgotten to share something), I have read through the previous posts and note that there are a few kind words said by some posters. For this we thank you and once again wish to extend our gratitude to all our fellow sailors, who have been very supportive and helpful. My apologies for not replying to each post because some posts deserve a direct response, however, hopefully you will understand that we are dog-tired with the running around etc etc. and we have a lot of catching up to do because of the days without internet.

We will keep everyone up to speed of any progress or developments.
It's great to hea you're moving closer to a resolution.
leftbrainstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2013, 19:35   #288

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Good news on all of this.

Given that the rudder post you pulled out was embossed with a hull number 8 boats away from yours, it seems much more likely that it was installed in the factory rather than a previous owner conned it out of another boat.

Good luck with the refit!

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2013, 19:43   #289

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Thanks for sharing the good news. It seems like you are getting great service and I hope you are back on your way soon.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2013, 21:31   #290
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

How odd:
"3...."experts" in Le Marin...are of the opinion that sea water ingressed over a period of 2,3 or 4 years, which compromised a section of resin and this is where and why it snapped/failed)."
Seawater? Caused cured resin to fail? I think something has gotten totally lost in the translation. I had thought that properly cured resin was impervious to seawater.

"4. Beneteau have advised that this is in fact a rudder/post for a Beneteau Cyclades (which is what I reckoned). They have said that the Cyclades and the Oceanis have identical rudders that are interchangeable. "
So if they are identical and interchangeable, how does B know that this is a Cyclades rudder? That would imply the two are in fact not identical, but they are somehow different parts, wouldn't it?

Sometimes it is just easer to blame it on gremlins (they like to eat rudders, especially blue rudders) and hire a shaman to chase them away.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2013, 03:12   #291

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgetheleo View Post

Yes and all of those rudders were built by that company in Florida the other OP on here is advocating for.
Foss builds the rudders to the boat builders specs. In my case " Hunter" when the boat was initially built Hunter was specing a composite post. The design has since been changed to a stainless post.
jkangas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2013, 03:28   #292

Boat: Van De Stadt Excalibur 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Bluewaters2812

Quote:
Originally Posted by salticrak View Post
well done mate.
Thank you, will post again when the rudder arrives or more info comes to light.
Bluewaters2812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2013, 03:29   #293

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftbrainstuff View Post
It's great to hea you're moving closer to a resolution.
Thank you, will post again when the rudder arrives or more info comes to light.
Old 31-10-2013, 03:34   #294

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
Good news on all of this.

Given that the rudder post you pulled out was embossed with a hull number 8 boats away from yours, it seems much more likely that it was installed in the factory rather than a previous owner conned it out of another boat.

Good luck with the refit!

Mark
I agree Mark, just not absolutely certain it was the same year because that part of the hull number is not on the rudder post. I suspect it was the same year though and only 8 boats away from ours.

As an aside, apparently Beneteau factory now have a numbering system that distinguishes the Cyclades and Oceanis by part number. The Cyclades rudder post part number ends with 959 and the Oceanis with 960 now. It appears that in 2007 they did not have separate part numbers.
Old 31-10-2013, 03:42   #295

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
How odd:
"3...."experts" in Le Marin...are of the opinion that sea water ingressed over a period of 2,3 or 4 years, which compromised a section of resin and this is where and why it snapped/failed)."
Seawater? Caused cured resin to fail? I think something has gotten totally lost in the translation. I had thought that properly cured resin was impervious to seawater.

"4. Beneteau have advised that this is in fact a rudder/post for a Beneteau Cyclades (which is what I reckoned). They have said that the Cyclades and the Oceanis have identical rudders that are interchangeable. "
So if they are identical and interchangeable, how does B know that this is a Cyclades rudder? That would imply the two are in fact not identical, but they are somehow different parts, wouldn't it?

Sometimes it is just easer to blame it on gremlins (they like to eat rudders, especially blue rudders) and hire a shaman to chase them away.
You make good points. I am still going to try and press Beneteau for an answer as to whether they fitted the rudder post at the factory. I am just waiting in calm water so to speak until our rudder has arrived and fitted then I will become a little more "pesky" to try and get an answer from them. For now, I am letting sleeping dogs lie.

Also, in the back of my mind, I would like to know why the surveyor never saw the degradation on the rudder post as this was the part sticking out of the hull where it snapped. I guess they have the devil's protection and that would be a time waster to pursue, especially here in Martinique. Oh well, at least we will have a perfectly new and sturdy rudder assembly and good to cross oceans (hope I haven't jinxed that).
Old 31-10-2013, 03:52   #296
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluewaters2812 View Post
You make good points. I am still going to try and press Beneteau for an answer as to whether they fitted the rudder post at the factory. I am just waiting in calm water so to speak until our rudder has arrived and fitted then I will become a little more "pesky" to try and get an answer from them. For now, I am letting sleeping dogs lie.

Also, in the back of my mind, I would like to know why the surveyor never saw the degradation on the rudder post as this was the part sticking out of the hull where it snapped. I guess they have the devil's protection and that would be a time waster to pursue, especially here in Martinique. Oh well, at least we will have a perfectly new and sturdy rudder assembly and good to cross oceans (hope I haven't jinxed that).
having your rudder break close to martinique was probably a blessing in disguise ,albeit an expensive one!

at least when you set off for SA next year you will have a degree of peace of mind,for what can be a very tough trip!
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2013, 03:53   #297

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
Thanks for sharing the good news. It seems like you are getting great service and I hope you are back on your way soon.
Yes, we are quite happy with the promised speed. Yesterday I received an email from a reliable supplier I have used for an anchor before, she can source the rudder from the factory for about 400.00 Euros cheaper! Only problem is that for her it will take 3-4 weeks and not 2. I guess the Beneteau rep does have preference understandably but it just shows that in business there is no real moral integrity. I say this because my contact is in Grenada, which isn't a French territory with regular daily flights from Paris (as far as I know), and she is able to supply it substantially cheaper.
Old 31-10-2013, 03:58   #298

Folks, if anyone needs the contact details of a supplier for parts please feel free to PM me. We have used this supplier recently in Grenada (we get nothing from this I assure you), but feel that she is deserving of support, as she was excellent in getti g our replacement primary anchor.

She was hundreds of dollars cheaper when we replaced our primary anchor, which was stolen 2 months ago in Martinique whilst we were at anchor at a remote anchorage. She was about $300.00 cheaper than Budget Marine in Grenada for our Rocna 33 anchor.

Perhaps you can get comparative quotes on anything you may need. It will not matter where you are located, as she will arrange a shipping quote direct to your location ex factory or from her other sources, who might well be near where you are.

Hope this post is within the terms of CF's rules. If not, I apologise in advance to the mod's.
Old 31-10-2013, 04:14   #299

Boat: Jeanneau 57

I'm glad that things are progressing for you. I think that my new rudder cost a bit less, but the shipping (via air and tropical-shipping) was about the same price.

Don't forget to factor in some extra cleaning supplies and labor for degreasing/cleaning the new rudder, then priming it and then putting on a couple of layers of new antifouling - I had forgotten about that when my rudder arrived and was hard-pressed to get everything finished in time for the boat to get splashed (I had my boat hauled out in order to complete the job, I'm not sure if I could have done it in the water as you are doing).
Old 31-10-2013, 04:19   #300

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
having your rudder break close to martinique was probably a blessing in disguise ,albeit an expensive one!

at least when you set off for SA next year you will have a degree of peace of mind,for what can be a very tough trip!
Thanks Atoll, you have echoed my thoughts and inner gratitude I have held ever since it happened. What a disaster it would have been had this happened halfway across the Atlantic! Houdini done it again.

Tags
rudder