Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-04-2011, 15:27   #1

Rudder Modification: Need Advice!

my present set up on my H28 is a skeg mounted rudder and the rudder shaff is thrue hull...this systhem on a similar 1964 H28 has crossed the atlantic from gaspé to azures and south africa befor giving inn and needed a new rudder and skeg...the systhem failed again en route back to montreal...it broke for the second time near halifax and was replaced by a regular rudder with no skeg.

my question is; should I instal a transome hung rudder and leave the skeg and rudder as is...this would give me 2 options en route...should one systhem fail I have the second alternative on hand...by simply conecting the transome rudder and remouving the skeg rudder until repair is possible.

and so will a transome rudder on my particular boat design alter its sailing quality?? more helm...

sorry if all this is not clear...but being french its the best I can do for now.
rgds
otherthan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2011, 15:37   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Re: rudder modification...need advice!

The structural requirements of just hanging a rudder off the stern probably needs a naval architect to sort out. You really don't want two options. You really want just one that works. A skeg hung rudder should be more reliable but may cost more than the boat is worth. A stern hung rudder might not be structurally sound but you sure don't need two rudders. Modification of this sort really isn't something that to me makes good sense. Sell the boat and move on sounds the better choice for your money. There is no love in a boat that needs too much work.

I've never seen the boat but the complexities are making me think this is a problem that is not financially worth the time. A different boat might be the best choice. I would consider that as the third option. This girlfriend is consuming far too much. With boats it's OK to fall out of love. It's a French thing.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2011, 16:01   #3

Boat: Haida 26', 18' Sea Kayak, 15' kayak, 6.5' skiff, shorts

It would definitely not sail the same way. You are moving the center of lateral resistance towards the stern. Not sure about it, but it would probably give you lee helm. Not good.
tager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2011, 16:02   #4

Boat: 57ft Steel Expedition Vessel

As a back up incase our primary rudder fails, I built a set of strong gudgeon pins and a rudder case and tiller that clip onto the stern, (with steel strengthening plates on the inside of the transom to take the load) and a blade, (normally its the worlds strongest toilet door) that slides into the rudder case (like a racing skiff).

I will do everything I can to not lose my main rudder but should it happen I have a great back-up.
Dame.n.Jess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2011, 16:04   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pblais View Post
The structural requirements of just hanging a rudder off the stern probably needs a naval architect to sort out. You really don't want two options. You really want just one that works. A skeg hung rudder should be more reliable but may cost more than the boat is worth. A stern hung rudder might not be structurally sound but you sure don't need two rudders. Modification of this sort really isn't something that to me makes good sense. Sell the boat and move on sounds the better choice for your money. There is no love in a boat that needs too much work.

I've never seen the boat but the complexities are making me think this is a problem that is not financially worth the time. A different boat might be the best choice. I would consider that as the third option. This girlfriend is consuming far too much. With boats it's OK to fall out of love. It's a French thing.

paul I hear you...however iv been looking at far too many boats this past year...and iv seen way too much of the modern plastic to not appreciate the structural qualities of this vintage hinterhoeller...its unquestionably a far superior then everything iv seen to date, including pearson tritons and vanguards, not even a 30 alberg comes close to this little tank...the skeg and rudder seems to be its only real weekness as hinterhoeller designed the boat for the grate lackes...she is solid glass all the way, no coar whatsoever anywhere from top to bottom...given a good rudder she will outlast my entier family...never a blister has been seen on these boats.

I am not the kind of guy to blindly throw away hard erned money...in fact I got out of the island trader 41 because she clearly wasent the ship I tot she was...way under the hinterhoeller built quality...honestly just for the hull and deck id keep the H28 even if I had to redo the inside entierly...it still be the best boat I cauld find...love or not...but how can one resist good craftmenship.

cheers
Old 27-04-2011, 16:11   #6

Boat: Haida 26', 18' Sea Kayak, 15' kayak, 6.5' skiff, shorts

I fully support saving old ladies. Boats seem to work with this approach much better than humans.
tager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2011, 16:13   #7

Boat: 57ft Steel Expedition Vessel

Man I hear you about build quality, the exact reason we choose our little work truck. 3/4 inch thick hand laid glass with no core. 40 years old with many hundreds of these boats around the country and almost zero bad press about them. good to see there are other boats out there that are also built like bomb shelters.
Dame.n.Jess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2011, 16:16   #8
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

steeve---i think the over transom rudder would be good for ypur 28 ft boat-- wont be too hard to steer and wont be a problem..... the idea of a redundant system is a good one. goood luck-- please let me know how it turns out!!!!
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2011, 16:28   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
steeve---i think the over transom rudder would be good for ypur 28 ft boat-- wont be too hard to steer and wont be a problem..... the idea of a redundant system is a good one. goood luck-- please let me know how it turns out!!!!
zee I will keep in touch...I am leaving from Montreal to the azures on my H28 next month...as you I am very exited

rgds
Old 27-04-2011, 16:31   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dame.n.Jess View Post
Man I hear you about build quality, the exact reason we choose our little work truck. 3/4 inch thick hand laid glass with no core. 40 years old with many hundreds of these boats around the country and almost zero bad press about them. good to see there are other boats out there that are also built like bomb shelters.
id like to know what make your boat is...just for personal records
Old 27-04-2011, 17:00   #11
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: rudder modification...need advice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobi View Post
zee I will keep in touch...I am leaving from Montreal to the azures on my H28 next month...as you I am very exited

rgds
Jobi.... good for you mate... and I'd put some fittings on the transom as a failsafe in case the main rudder goes... just don't mount it, lash it topside till needed... hopefully never.
Better an inefficient rudder than no rudder at all
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2011, 17:25   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Jobi.... good for you mate... and I'd put some fittings on the transom as a failsafe in case the main rudder goes... just don't mount it, lash it topside till needed... hopefully never.
Better an inefficient rudder than no rudder at all
ya that seems like a good plan to me...especialy sins I have the entier rudder systhem from a sand piper (free) will install the gudjon pins solidly to my 1/2in transome (it wont mouve anytime soon) and store the tiller-rudder under my cockpit...this will reasure me in case the skeg hits something uncharted lol

as if I will bring charts hihihi
as far as my eyes see...thats my navagational aid...oh and a gps
Old 28-04-2011, 12:58   #13
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

sounds like a plan-- what boaty sez--he be a smart man, that boaty...
please take many pictures!!!! i wanna droooool...LOL
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2011, 13:06   #14

Boat: gulfstar 41 aux jenny lynn

Why don't you just rebuild the skeg and rudder? Beef it up and keep it original.
jenny2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2011, 13:48   #15

Boat: Trismus 37

If your boat is an H28 I can't see where or how you would fit a skeg and rudder. H28's have a full keel. The original design had a transom hung rudder that has never been known to give trouble. I would go back to the original. H28's have done several circumnavigations without problems, some say slowly but most average 4 1/2 knots, not bad for a small boat.
Steve Pope is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rudder