Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-08-2019, 04:17   #1

Boat: 2002 Admiral 38 Catamaran
Rudder Bearings

I am trying to source rudder bearings for my boat. I have a 2002 Admiral 38 catamaran. Just purchased so I have no idea what I need. But getting pulled in 2 weeks. And then have 2 weeks to complete. The yard there said they are most likely french bearings and can be hard to source so I need to get them ahead of time cause it might take more then 2 weeks. So I am hoping someone here knows something about this and this particular boat.

Tried contacting the manufacturer but no luck as of yet. They are in South Africa and and no longer exist but someone else is still making these same boats. Which is who I tried to contact by email. Been looking for a USA dealer but no luck.

Please please help need to get this done so I can enjoy my new to me boat!!!! Greg
ebisucapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2019, 05:22   #2

Boat: BUILT!!! Roberts Mauritius 43ft
Re: Rudder Bearings

I don't know what the problem would be. Surely there is nothing unique about the bearings on your particular yacht. I bet suitable bearings could be bought " off the shelf".

Have you measured the inside diameter, outside diameter and the length to see if they are are available? Perhaps you could contact people like

https://www.tidesmarine.com.au/rudder-bearings-seals/
View the complete range of Rudder Bearings and Seals available through Tides ... rudder system approach which can be used effectively by FRP boat builders.
the rudder website - Jefa Rudder bearings

https://www.jefa.com › rudder
Welcome to Jefa Rudder website please make your choice in the left main menu. more info on rudder blades can be found on our rudder blades web page

How to replace rudder bearings - boats.com

https://uk.boats.com › how-to › how-to-replace-rudder-bearings
Dec 5, 2016 - Rudder bearings have a finite lifespan, especially on a well-used boat, but are generally relatively easy to replace.

Maybe you could PM people posting on this thread?

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...Owner-s-Manual
coopec43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2019, 05:51   #3

Boat: Valiant 40

Or, you could easily have them fabricated I'm sure. Just take the old ones to a machine shop with the specs of the rudder post.
Old 30-08-2019, 05:53   #4

Boat: Taswell 49

I replaced my rudder bearing this year (monohull). Is was made with Delrin but I replaced with Vesconite. It can be machined to a specific size and is designed for this application. Very low water absorption material. If you go that direction, I have some leftover that may work for you.
mobern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2019, 06:02   #5

Boat: BUILT!!! Roberts Mauritius 43ft

Suijin and mobern

+2 Exactly!!

It is not rocket science is it?

https://www.google.com/search?q=rudder+bearing+material&source=lnms&tbm=i sch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjRtcWQ1KrkAhXFZSsKHRYpDsQQ_AUI EigC&biw=1012&bih=625

coopec43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2019, 08:31   #6

Boat: 2002 Admiral 38 Catamaran

Thanks for all the info. I ant measure anything cause in the water still. And I am just going by what the guy said at the yard I am taking it to. He said they are hard to come by. And I believe they are a roller bearing.

But thanks that info will help. Cause I am shooting in the dark here. Greg
ebisucapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2019, 08:58   #7

Greg, as others have correctly advised, your best bet is to find a local machine shop near the yard and have the bearings duplicated. Find a shop prior to the bearings being removed and let them know your needs. Most importantly this will help with their scheduling because as a former machine shop owner I can almost certainly tell you this is what we called a 'gravy job'. Basically mill and lathe work.

If the shop is close to the yard they may be able to send someone over to see what material and how much will be needed so they can order the material and have it ready when you bring in your bearings to measure. Additionally, depending on the design of the bearings they may be able to remachine the wear surfaces and sleeve them or perhaps order the proper size roller bearings if indeed they are roller bearing units.
Shenandoah52 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rudder