Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-03-2011, 05:08   #1

Rubrails - 41' Morgan O / I - '72

Morning, anyone know were I could find the rubber rubrail for my morgan outisland? Been looking high and low for a long time. Found the porthole rubber gasket at griffith rubber -stanlock# 1664..waiting for them to call me back... Any help with this would be greatly appreciated! Anders
svensk viking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2011, 05:43   #2

Boat: Morgan Out Island 415
Re: Rubrails 41' morgan o/i -72

Welcome aboard svensk. I have a 78 OI41. Call Catalina Yachts at 727-544-6681. They may be able to help. My rubrails have been replaced with StarBoard. They're not as soft as the original rubber, but they don't damage or mark anything and they hold up well against concrete and wood pilings. I think they look pretty good too.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1838.jpg
Views:	475
Size:	418.6 KB
ID:	25443  
Old 24-03-2011, 05:45   #3

Boat: gulfstar ketch 41 Surya

Try the Taco web site. Or James Town Distributors.
Good luck.
S/V_Surya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2011, 05:48   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by svensk viking View Post
Morning, anyone know were I could find the rubber rubrail for my morgan outisland? Been looking high and low for a long time. Found the porthole rubber gasket at griffith rubber -stanlock# 1664..waiting for them to call me back... Any help with this would be greatly appreciated! Anders
Ahoy! Welcome!

We also have a '72 MIO41. Bought it to renovate, then cruise. Thanks for the lead on the port gaskets - been wondering.

Also been wondering where to find rub rail as ours is crumbling away. It hasn't come to the top of my (longish) repair and upgrade list yet, but I'll be following along here...

We're just starting on re-core repairs to about 15% of the deck. Arrrgh!
Whimsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2011, 05:56   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripod View Post
...My rubrails have been replaced with StarBoard. They're not as soft as the original rubber, but they don't damage or mark anything and they hold up well against concrete and wood pilings. I think they look pretty good too.
No regrets? You would do that again? Any downside? You sound quite happy with it.

Very interested to see any detail pix and/or further description of how it was done.

I'm guessing that replacing it in the original rubber is a bundle of expensive, goo-intensive trouble to buy, ship and install...

Any alternative ideas would be most welcome.
Old 24-03-2011, 06:10   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Svensk Viking, In 1999 I was able to purchase 84' of rubrail matching the original black rubber extrusion on my 1973 Morgan OI for $400 plus shipping from a person in Apollo Beach, Florida. I am hesitant to post this private individual's name, address and phone number so I will include this information in a pm. I have no idea if he still has a stock of this material.
Old 24-03-2011, 06:30   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whimsy View Post
No regrets? You would do that again? Any downside? You sound quite happy with it.

Very interested to see any detail pix and/or further description of how it was done.

I'm guessing that replacing it in the original rubber is a bundle of expensive, goo-intensive trouble to buy, ship and install...

Any alternative ideas would be most welcome.
No regrets at all. This was one of the great things done by the PO (how often do you here that ). I was a little skeptical when considering the purchase, but after bumping into docks and pilings for two and a half years, I wouldn't have rubrails made of anything else. They're durable, unobtrusive, and easy to clean. With the strong currents in our marina, its not uncommon to have to pivot on or slide along a piling to get into our slip. That kind of abuse doesn't even scuff or mark them.

There doesn't seem to be anything complicated about the install either. They're attached with recessed ss screws and no goop, just like the old rubber rails. The install on a 72 might be a little different because the hull/deck joint is behind the rubrail. I'll take a closeup pic this weekend and post it for you.

Bob & Judy
s/v Adagio
Old 24-03-2011, 07:04   #8

Thanks!

Guess there may be some evolution of the hull/deck joint and/or rub rail design from '72 (mine) to '78 (yours).

Our h/d joint is the infamous 'outward-pointing flange', which is apparently cheap and easy to build but forever thereafter damage-prone from impact. Our c-section rub rail (what's left of it) was attached over the flange with what must have been gallons of some sort of hardening goo (no screws).

Is your h/d joint the outward-pointing flange, inward-pointing flange, lap or...? If you don't have the outward-pointing flange, that would explain much (regarding recessed screw install), and my curiosity is if StarBoard might be machined or laminated to a c-section to somehow accommodate our flange, and if that would be a viable solution on our boat...

Looking forward to pictures and I do appreciate your effort.
Old 24-03-2011, 09:21   #9

I think the h/d joint design was changed around 1974 because it was prone to damage, especially when the rubrail came in contact with things like pilings. with sufficient force, the joint would flex behind the rubrail compromise the seal leading to difficult to repair leaks. Our joint is a lap joint bolted through a metl toerail about every 4 inches. Where the rubrail mounts is very thick GRP. I would think machining or laminating that much StarBoard would be doable, but might get expensive. I would consult with Catalina and explore CaptForce's source first.
Old 03-05-2011, 17:45   #10

Boat: Morgan OI 33
Send a message via AIM to mxsailor

Capt Force,
Tried to send pm, but spam blocker refuses. I'm in need of about 75 feet of rubrail for my 1973 33 OI. Please PM me with details. Thanks.
mxsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 01:19   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whimsy View Post
...................Our c-section rub rail (what's left of it) was attached over the flange with what must have been gallons of some sort of hardening goo (no screws)...................
The original factory installation was with epoxy; however, Morgan's late seventies suggested replacement procedure called for 3M's 5200. Take care and joy, Aythya crew
Old 18-12-2015, 18:27   #12

Boat: 33 Morgan Out Island
Re: Rubrails - 41' Morgan O / I - '72

Hello fellow Morgan owner. I have a 33 out island/ 1976. It has the outward flange hull to deck construction. I am looking at all options in the replacement of all the rub rail.
Bit of a carpenter myself so I am considering wood. Looking at the price of C-Section rubber I don't think I'm crazy.
I'll keep you informed and would appretiate it if you find out anything on the rubber.
Brewman.
Brewman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2015, 05:30   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

You might want to look at Griffith Rubber Mills, Portland, Oregon. They have the black rubber extrusions and locking gasket for the original rubber portlight gaskets and a number of rub rail options in their online catalog.
Old 19-12-2015, 05:41   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson Force View Post
You might want to look at Griffith Rubber Mills, Portland, Oregon. They have the black rubber extrusions and locking gasket for the original rubber portlight gaskets and a number of rub rail options in their online catalog.
Hudman is the man here!

Unless of course... you wanna buy my boat for her perfect rub rails???
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...-a-153160.html

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2015, 06:05   #15

Boat: 33 Morgan Out Island

Thanks Hudman, Will check out Portland catolog. Hauling the beast in Jan. and will need stuff.
You've got a Morgan, 1 of the things I've noticed about the 33 Morgan /76/oi is that there is no air in that boat. Tried a wind scoop thing and not much circulation was had. I breathe a lot. Do a lot, a lot!
Operable port holes if they gotem, while I have the boat out and high and dry? Well- maybe not totally, DRY!
Brewman
Brewman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
morgan