Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-09-2015, 00:47   #1

Rotting floorboards

Okay, I know that "floorboards" isn't the nautically correct term but whatever they are, the ones I've got just outside my bathroom...er....head...have gotten waterlogged and are starting to fall apart. In addition to the area that has started to crumble (see pic) I can feel soft spots in the adjacent areas.

What's the approved solution?

My idea is to cut out and peel up the boards and get the whole area bone-dry with the use of a small space heater applied over several days then lay down a bed of un-thickened epoxy and glue them back into place, piecing together the crumbled bits as best as I can jigsaw puzzle them.

Whaddya'll think?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0459.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	418.7 KB
ID:	108420   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0460.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	420.4 KB
ID:	108421  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0461.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	429.4 KB
ID:	108422  
edokarura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 04:54   #2
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Re: Rotting floorboards

Hmm... well they usually called cabin sole and by the looks of it, your's are stuffed.

Your fix is temporary at the best, I would would rip them out and replace with new.

At least make new ones out of marine plywood and encapsulate with epoxy if you don't want to go to the effort of fitting new boards.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 06:01   #3
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

It looks like the area gets a lot of water (from showers? from overflowing toilet?).

It also appears there is a door there, possibly separating that cabin from the salon?

If so, you could use a different type of sole/floor covering in that limited area (assuming it is in an enclosed cabin).

Gluing down rotting wood does not seem like a good idea to me.

And it looks like the area gets wet. I would first consider how to reduce water in that area. If the head is a "wet" shower, it may get wet frequently.

I would consider taking out the wood there on the sole and replacing it with synthetic "Plasteak" type floor covering or something similar that is not affected by water (will not rot).

This free video on youtube gives step by step instructions on how to use Plasteak on a boat. It made a very nice improvement to an older boat.

NOTE: I am not suggesting that someone take up all their sole to swap it with Plasteak. But, I am pointing out that there are rot-free alternatives to sole/floor covering materials that do look "nautical" and nice.

Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 07:26   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I think you first need to figure out what the cause of the rot is, and fix that, then replace the flooring
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 15:25   #5

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

What A64pilot wrote^^^^^

I suspect you have some sort of leak from the head itself. It has continued for a long time to cause the soft spots you mentioned.

Therefore, you have to solve the dampness problem. Once you're sure there are no leaks, then re-do the timber on the cabin sole with whatever you decide will work best for you.

I would suggest also, that even though it is more work, you might want to make it in such a way that you can open it for inspection and/or to work on the head again. Look at flush latches for securing it.

If you're allergic to mold spores, better wear a respirator while you're tearing the old wet wood out.

Ann
Old 04-09-2015, 20:01   #6

Boat: 45ft Ketch

That spot looks difficult to dry. Rotten timber is fresh water dampness that has existed for more than the 3 months needed for fungus to get established.
If the loo is a saltwater flush then it won't be caused by the loo.
DumnMad is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rot