Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-09-2014, 08:07   #46
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Alameda, CA
Boat: C&C Newport 41
Posts: 586
Re: Rolling & Tipping

sounds like the OP's paint isnt thinned down enough and is a bit too hard with the brush.

paint should have the consistency of water resulting in 'bubbles' when rolled on and the brush should NOT touch the paint... you are just knocking down the bubbles.

someone mentioned tipping with a dry brush which is something i have never done or heard of anyone doing before.

best advice... dont go back over an area with the brush. you get one shot at it. if you have runs or are not happy... have another go tomorrow.

gl..
-steve
__________________

__________________
ssanzone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2014, 15:29   #47
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: NH
Boat: sabre 28
Posts: 127
Re: Rolling & Tipping

Lots of good advice here. I started by adding 10% thinner right off the bat & when I roll I've got the bubbles so I know the consistency is right. Yesterdays work came out great so I'm hitting too large an area on the hull before tipping.
I'll give the hull another shot if the weather cooperates, if not I'll wait till spring.
Boat is the driveway so it's not going anywhere...
__________________

__________________
misfits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2014, 15:50   #48
Senior Cruiser
 
bstreep's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: San Antonio, TX/Port Aransas, TX
Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"
Posts: 2,274
Re: Rolling & Tipping

Here's the thread from our Perfection project: Macintosh 47 Deck Project Pics - Perfection

Many of our paint days were in sunlight, over 85 degrees...


Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
__________________
Bill Streep
San Antonio/Port Aransas, TX
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2014, 15:09   #49
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: NH
Boat: sabre 28
Posts: 127
Re: Rolling & Tipping

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstreep View Post
That looks really nice!

Pettit responded to an email I sent them over the weekend.
They recommended thinning to 15% right off the bat.
__________________
misfits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2014, 15:41   #50
Senior Cruiser
 
delmarrey's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Now in Blaine, WA
Boat: Modified Choate 40
Posts: 10,702
Images: 122
Re: Rolling & Tipping

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfits View Post
That looks really nice!

Pettit responded to an email I sent them over the weekend.
They recommended thinning to 15% right off the bat.
Interlux Brightsides, right on the can, says a maximum of 10%. Every brand and series has its own formula.
__________________
Faithful are the Wounds of a Friend, but the Kisses of the Enemy are Deceitful! ........
A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves!

Unprepared boaters, end up as floatsum!.......
delmarrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2014, 21:36   #51
Sponsoring Vendor
 
HopCar's Avatar

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: May 2011
Location: Miami Florida
Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28
Posts: 3,162
Re: Rolling & Tipping

"Interlux Brightsides, right on the can, says a maximum of 10%. Every brand and series has its own formula."

Delmarrey, Real men don't read directions. They just waste expensive paint trying to figure it out themselves.
__________________
Hopkins-Carter Marine Supplies & Fishing Tackle
What You Need, at the Price You Want...with Service!
HopCar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2014, 21:51   #52
Resin Head
 
minaret's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Seattle WA
Boat: Nauticat
Posts: 7,201
Images: 52
Re: Rolling & Tipping

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfits View Post
Lots of good advice here. I started by adding 10% thinner right off the bat & when I roll I've got the bubbles so I know the consistency is right. Yesterdays work came out great so I'm hitting too large an area on the hull before tipping.
I'll give the hull another shot if the weather cooperates, if not I'll wait till spring.
Boat is the driveway so it's not going anywhere...



As has been said before, it's not a one person job. One rolls, the other tips. Right behind the roller. If you let it flash off at all before tipping, it will be brushy. Tip vertical, starting at the rail and finishing on the bottom tape. This way your brush strokes have no stops and starts. The paint must still be wet enough to flow after tipping.
__________________
O you who turn the wheel and look to windward,

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 07:10   #53
Moderator
 
HappyMdRSailor's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: May 2008
Location: North Mississippi
Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon-C22 Chrysler Sunpiper- 19 Potter-Preparing to cruise w/my girl
Posts: 5,980
Re: Rolling & Tipping

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
"Interlux Brightsides, right on the can, says a maximum of 10%. Every brand and series has its own formula."

Delmarrey, Real men don't read directions. They just waste expensive paint trying to figure it out themselves.
-WARNING-

I've figured out how HopCar bumps his paint sales... This is the can I received today... After a heated telephone discussion, I requested my replacement can without my free Hopkins Carter sticker...

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
As has been said before, it's not a one person job. One rolls, the other tips. Right behind the roller. If you let it flash off at all before tipping, it will be brushy. Tip vertical, starting at the rail and finishing on the bottom tape. This way your brush strokes have no stops and starts. The paint must still be wet enough to flow after tipping.
Yea... But the roller is forever critiquing the tipper... and then the inevitable switching back and forth defeats the purpose of working quickly with a two man team... FURTHERMORE.... This should NEVER be attempted with a mixed gender team...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Hopcar Paint .jpg
Views:	81
Size:	111.4 KB
ID:	89117  
__________________
In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair...

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 15:34   #54
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: NH
Boat: sabre 28
Posts: 127
Re: Rolling & Tipping

The directions on the Pettit can do say 10% thinner. I emailed them explaining the issue I'm having & they came back stating I could go to 15%.

I'm trying to convince my wife to roll for me so I can tip but I don't know, she dislikes sailboats
__________________
misfits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 16:03   #55
Registered User
 
appick's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Grand Rapids MI
Boat: 1973 Easterly 36
Posts: 446
Re: Rolling & Tipping

I've had the same experience as many here already recounted. Rolling and ripping was leaving a poor finish when we painted our topsides with Interlux Perfection. After two coats of frustration. I finally gave up and followed the directions.

1) You can not paint in the sun. It MUST be in the shade! Sun burns off your thinner way to quick. Same with wind.

2) I tarpped off the entire top of the boat, I used the roll and roll technique. Roll it on until you've offloaded most of your paint. Then roll over the area you just laid again with the empty roller.

3) I too used over the stated 20% thinner. I think I ended up in the 30-35% area. I also kept adding more a little at a time as the paint in my cup would thicken.

I used the cheap foam bullet rollers. After 15-20min they would start to swell and the. Is just change them out.

I think it came out pretty good
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1412287269.782901.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	201.2 KB
ID:	89150Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1412287315.714381.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	269.0 KB
ID:	89151Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1412287369.083859.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	131.8 KB
ID:	89152Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1412287410.695005.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	230.5 KB
ID:	89153



Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
__________________
"If you want to build a ship, don't drum up people to collect wood and don't assign them tasks and work, but rather teach them to long for the endless immensity of the sea." Antoine de
appick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 17:18   #56
Moderator
 
HappyMdRSailor's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: May 2008
Location: North Mississippi
Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon-C22 Chrysler Sunpiper- 19 Potter-Preparing to cruise w/my girl
Posts: 5,980
Re: Rolling & Tipping

Quote:
Originally Posted by appick View Post
I've had the same experience as many here already recounted. Rolling and ripping was leaving a poor finish when we painted our topsides with Interlux Perfection. After two coats of frustration. I finally gave up and followed the directions.

1) You can not paint in the sun. It MUST be in the shade! Sun burns off your thinner way to quick. Same with wind.

2) I tarpped off the entire top of the boat, I used the roll and roll technique. Roll it on until you've offloaded most of your paint. Then roll over the area you just laid again with the empty roller.

3) I too used over the stated 20% thinner. I think I ended up in the 30-35% area. I also kept adding more a little at a time as the paint in my cup would thicken.

I used the cheap foam bullet rollers. After 15-20min they would start to swell and the. Is just change them out.

I think it came out pretty good
Attachment 89150Attachment 89151Attachment 89152Attachment 89153



Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Came out damn nice Appy!
__________________
In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair...

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 17:27   #57
Registered User
 
Rhapsody-NS27's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: VA, boat: Deale, MD
Boat: 1981 Nor'sea 27
Posts: 1,409
Re: Rolling & Tipping

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMdRSailor View Post
Came out damn nice Appy!
+2k Love that finish!

Really nice work. I might have to try coming up with something to get the sun off my boat long enough. I'm sure the storage manager would give me some strange looks.
__________________
Daniel - Rhapsody Blog,
“A sailor’s joys are as simple as a child’s.” — Bernard Moitessier
"I don't need therapy, I just need my boat"
Rhapsody-NS27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 08:44   #58
Moderator
 
HappyMdRSailor's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: May 2008
Location: North Mississippi
Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon-C22 Chrysler Sunpiper- 19 Potter-Preparing to cruise w/my girl
Posts: 5,980
Re: Rolling & Tipping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhapsody-NS27 View Post
+2k Love that finish!

Really nice work. I might have to try coming up with something to get the sun off my boat long enough. I'm sure the storage manager would give me some strange looks.
Yer only 'bout 3 hrs away from me Rhap...
I guess that's one positive being in Grand Rapids.....
**searches the web for reason #2**
__________________
In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair...

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 15:20   #59
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: NH
Boat: sabre 28
Posts: 127
Re: Rolling & Tipping

Quote:
Originally Posted by appick View Post
I've had the same experience as many here already recounted. Rolling and ripping was leaving a poor finish
Evidently I'm also having an issue due to rolling & ripping. Ripping the dam paint right off the side of the boat....

Awesome paint job Appick!
__________________

__________________
misfits is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tipping for a Hand with Lines janeck General Sailing Forum 16 13-10-2010 19:44
Tipping the Yard Crew ? off-the-grid Construction, Maintenance & Refit 64 23-08-2010 19:36
Is Tipping an ASA Instructor Usual? Sybil General Sailing Forum 14 30-07-2009 04:41
tipping with a foam brush? anotherT34C Construction, Maintenance & Refit 3 24-03-2009 15:19
Tipping dock master/hands?? rleslie General Sailing Forum 33 29-03-2006 20:48



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:05.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.