Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-12-2013, 03:23   #1

Roberts 53 AVS , SSS or STIX

Hello there , does anyone have any data or suggestions relating to the data on a Roberts 53 steel . It seems like a minefield ! I am completing one and will need to get the data in order to get the boat CE approved ( more bureaucracy ) I would appreciate any suggestions . Many thanks Jeremy
jeremy wild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2013, 04:42   #2
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy wild View Post
Hello there , does anyone have any data or suggestions relating to the data on a Roberts 53 steel . It seems like a minefield ! I am completing one and will need to get the data in order to get the boat CE approved ( more bureaucracy ) I would appreciate any suggestions . Many thanks Jeremy
The stability numbers can be calculated by the person or organisation doing the post construction CE certification

Dave
Old 28-12-2013, 11:30   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy wild View Post
I looked into completing one at one point as well (thankfully wizened up), and looked into importing it to Norway. Norway has been "homogenized" many of their rules to EU standards, and I am assuming that if you are looking at CE certification your likely in Europe. What I found, which may or may not apply to you, is:

1) The rules for importing boats is very different for under 15m, vs over. Depending on how far along you are, if at all possible, you may want to try to squeeze it under 15m somehow (yes, that would "easier said than done"). For import purposes, I believe they measured LOD, not LOA, which could be easier.
2) All imported boats need to be CE certified. Exceptions for boats that were "in service" when the rule was made (1996 if I recall), and more interestingly; home built ones, under 15m. Only caveat seemed to be you couldn't sell it for at least 5 years. I suspect it may be hard to sell it even after that in the EU, but that may not be all that important.

As I said, might not be applicable to whatever your trying to do, but from what I can tell, getting a "one off" CE certification on a boat is not easy, and I don't know why one would do it unless you "had to". Even if that meant trucking the hull out of the EU, and importing it as a homebuilt...
monstads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2013, 16:52   #4
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by monstads View Post

I looked into completing one at one point as well (thankfully wizened up), and looked into importing it to Norway. Norway has been "homogenized" many of their rules to EU standards, and I am assuming that if you are looking at CE certification your likely in Europe. What I found, which may or may not apply to you, is:

1) The rules for importing boats is very different for under 15m, vs over. Depending on how far along you are, if at all possible, you may want to try to squeeze it under 15m somehow (yes, that would "easier said than done"). For import purposes, I believe they measured LOD, not LOA, which could be easier.
2) All imported boats need to be CE certified. Exceptions for boats that were "in service" when the rule was made (1996 if I recall), and more interestingly; home built ones, under 15m. Only caveat seemed to be you couldn't sell it for at least 5 years. I suspect it may be hard to sell it even after that in the EU, but that may not be all that important.

As I said, might not be applicable to whatever your trying to do, but from what I can tell, getting a "one off" CE certification on a boat is not easy, and I don't know why one would do it unless you "had to". Even if that meant trucking the hull out of the EU, and importing it as a homebuilt...
In relation to CE. There is no 15m limit. The RCD rules apply from 2.5m to 24m. Above 24m commercial rules apply.

Home built boats upto 24 m do not require CE certification, but only if the whole boat is essentially built by the amateur.

It's a straightforward matter to engage an appropriate body to do a post construction certification process. Especially if the boat is built to meet or excess the relevant ISO standards in the first place. The cost of such certification is a tiny fraction of a typical amateur build cost

For a amateur boat of any size or value, its absolutely right to seek the correct category CE certification. It validates the construction , raises the value of the boat and removes any resale restrictions.

Dave
Old 28-12-2013, 18:15   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post

In relation to CE. There is no 15m limit. The RCD rules apply from 2.5m to 24m. Above 24m commercial rules apply.

Home built boats upto 24 m do not require CE certification, but only if the whole boat is essentially built by the amateur.

It's a straightforward matter to engage an appropriate body to do a post construction certification process. Especially if the boat is built to meet or excess the relevant ISO standards in the first place. The cost of such certification is a tiny fraction of a typical amateur build cost

For a amateur boat of any size or value, its absolutely right to seek the correct category CE certification. It validates the construction , raises the value of the boat and removes any resale restrictions.

Dave
That is indeed interesting. I for sure was under the impression that getting a homebuilt boat CE certified was much more of a process, including having to chase down the CE certs for major components, such as the engine, electrical systems, etc. Glad my info is incorrect/out of date. That would also explain why the OP is choosing to try to certify his build, if it's not a big deal/expenditure.

Don't want to hijack the thread, but do you happen to know if the importation of a homebuilt boat over 15m, but under 24m would require a CE cert in the EU? If not, that would be an interesting difference between the Norwegian and EU regs.

I do know that the Norwegian 15m rule is related to import duties and VAT in connection with moving into the country, and bringing a boat under 15m with you. I will read the rules again to make sure I have the right combo of length/homebuilt/import/ce certs together. jot always easy to keep it all straight :-)
monstads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2013, 18:35   #6
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by monstads View Post

That is indeed interesting. I for sure was under the impression that getting a homebuilt boat CE certified was much more of a process, including having to chase down the CE certs for major components, such as the engine, electrical systems, etc. Glad my info is incorrect/out of date. That would also explain why the OP is choosing to try to certify his build, if it's not a big deal/expenditure.

Don't want to hijack the thread, but do you happen to know if the importation of a homebuilt boat over 15m, but under 24m would require a CE cert in the EU? If not, that would be an interesting difference between the Norwegian and EU regs.

I do know that the Norwegian 15m rule is related to import duties and VAT in connection with moving into the country, and bringing a boat under 15m with you. I will read the rules again to make sure I have the right combo of length/homebuilt/import/ce certs together. jot always easy to keep it all straight :-)
If you import a homebuilt boat unless done under a Transfer of residence , you will need to CE certify the boat. It most be built inside the EU or EEFTA to qualify for the exemption. The boat will Also be subject to VAT.

Dave