So I picked up a little 22' Mac, in decent shape outside, pretty rotten inside, for a mere $300 a couple months ago. While I've rented sailboats for years, grew up on the water
as a kid, this is my first large boat
I've owned myself.
The impetus for buying
it is not family
, unfortunately - my wife loaths small boats, and to her, anything smaller than a washington
is "small". I work with Boy Scouts, and they've been making noise
for some time about having a sailing-based High Adventure, so this was the perfect excuse for me to acquire one.
Here it is, as I bought it:
Outside is great, if you don't look too close at the crazed gelcoat
around the upper deck
, and a few loose fittings that need rebedding.
Inside, however, is a different story:
What's not so obvious in this pic is the amount of funk in the foam, and the layer of frozen slime on the walls. The funk of nearly fourty years, this being a '72 I think. And yes, that's ice on the deck
... several inches thick back in December.
It's been so cold most of the time, I hesitated to send boys down into a frozen bilge
. With a couple weeks of favorable weather
now, and a forecast
of a clear cool day, I sent out a call for volunteers to work on our little craft.
Here's what we pulled out, for the dump:
Pulled all the old cushions
, rotted out trim, the "galley" and upright cooler, old tilt-bowl porta-pot, and some random lumber
that was tucked away in the starboard quarter... and what was left of the rusted out battery
mount. Full pickup load.
My boys scrubbing it out:
Next up is a complete re-wire. There's lamp wire, crimp connectors, and corroded wire all over the place. I'll tear everything out, solder and shrink-wrap all the connections and put up better anchors to bring it up to code. I think I'm going to install some LED interior lighting
, so we have plentiful house lights for overnights with minimal draw... one over the dining table, one where the new galley
will stand (old head
location forward of the starboard seats), one for the V-berth, one for the portside quarterberth, and maybe even something for the cockpit
After that, I need to cut new storage
hatches along the portside bench, so I can use some of that abundant space under there. I'll install hinged lids, and make sure everything's supported well for sleeping or sitting there.
Then we'll repaint the interior
with white latex exterior paint
, semigloss. That ought to brighten it a bit. Install some new trim, replace the dinette wood with new boards, and build a galley
cabinet. Get new foam and sew covers for everything.
and, and, and... the list seems endless. But that ought to get us to a strong usable point.