Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-10-2008, 17:42   #1

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS
Rescue Tape is simply amazing.

I'm quite sure many of you are well aware of this stuff, but it is new to me and as awe-inspiring as multihulls, forward scanning sonar, and some things better left unsaid. It's called Rescue Tape. Google it, period. it will change your lives. That is not hyperbole. I am discovering, daily, myriad uses that could not be achieved by any other material. High temperature resistance, electrically insulating, waterproof, air-tight, pressure resisting, the list goes on! Imagine, being able to replace a fan belt with a roll of tape! Wow.
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2008, 05:37   #2

Boat: Beneteau First 42
Rubbish. We've tried that material on several of the alledged applications and found it no better, and in some cases worse, than other self amalgamating tape, particularly on pressurized hoses.

Can you say Duct Tape?

FWIW...

s/v HyLyte
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2008, 07:17   #3

There you go, folks! Yin and yang. Somewhere between may be the truth for you. Or maybe not.
Old 25-10-2008, 07:22   #4
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava
I wouldn't compare Rescue tape to Duct tape at all.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2008, 07:28   #5

Boat: Tartan 41 #68
What would you compare it to?
bob_77903 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2008, 09:34   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
“Rescue Tape” could be compared to other Silicone Rubber tapes, like “Tommy Tape”, and 3M’s Scotch 70.
I prefer Scotch 130 Linerless Ethylene Propylene Rubber Tape, for most boat applications.
They're all (4) highly conforming & self amalgamating tapes.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2008, 10:24   #7
Senior Cruiser

Boat: 1980 Endeavour 43 (Ketch)
Also, as an FYI, it doesn't like UV at all!
S/V Elusive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2008, 11:12   #8

Boat: Prout Manta 38' Catamaran - Sunspot Baby
I repaired a crimped and leaking diesel exhaust hose with one of these tapes and it allowed me to motor for 3 days to get back to port. I was pretty impressed. Duct tape would have failed miserably.

George
Bob Seger
Sunspot Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2008, 12:43   #9

Boat: Tartan 37 "Velera"
I used it on an intake hose and it failed rather quickly. It seems to come apart over a short period of time (few days) even when it looks great after first applying. I have never understood the outlandish claims for this stuff.
Castine, Maine
Pete the Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2008, 04:42   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Taping Tips:

When wrapping with any of the non-adhesive (self-fusing, amalgamating, vulcanizing) conformable rubber tapes, it may help to apply with the outside in. The inside (tacky) side of the tape is turned to lay on the outside of the wrap, keeping the roll closer to the work.

Electrical tapes are generally applied under in successive “half laps”, and under tension, so that the tape elongates (stretches) to the point where it’s width is about ½ to 3/4 of it’s initial dimension - then completed with a final lap which is not stretched at all. This prevents “flagging” (winding back on itself). Rubber tapes are often over-coated with a protective layer of regular vinyl tape.

This tensioning technique is not always suitable for co-axial cables, especially foam cores, which have little compressive strength. The tension can cause dielectric breakdown of the cable.

When taping vertically, the final (top) layer should start at the bottom and tape uphill, creating a rain-shedding lapstrake (shingle lap) effect.

When taping screwed component co-ax connectors, tape in the direction (clockwise seen from cable end) of tightening the threaded joint.

There are several specifications to compare when selecting a particular electrical tape product, including:
Thickness
Tensile Strength
Elongation
Heat Resistance (operating temperature) & Thermal Dissipation
UV Resistance
Dielectric Strength
Linerless rubber tapes are slightly more expensive; but MUCH easier to use than lined rubber tapes.

Old 26-10-2008, 08:25   #11

Have any of you tried Coax-Seal for outside protection of coax connectors? It simply "smushes" to itself when kneaded by your fingers. I liked the Rescue tape because it felt more substantial to abrasion and attack by the elements.
Old 26-10-2008, 10:54   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

“Coax -Seal” or any “Putty Tape” (3M “Scotchfil”) is only used to build-up and smooth irregular surfaces; and should always be over-wrapped with a sealant tape (vinyl, or rubber/vinyl).
It's adequate stuff, used properly, but WAY over-advertised - 3M and others are better.

Old 26-10-2008, 13:24   #13

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy M View Post
Have any of you tried Coax-Seal for outside protection of coax connectors? It simply "smushes" to itself when kneaded by your fingers. I liked the Rescue tape because it felt more substantial to abrasion and attack by the elements.

We use it and it works very well but wrap it with another tape because it comes off on everything. We use it on VHF coax and on the connections for the USB cable for our WiFI antenna which is out in the weather all of the time.

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2008, 16:31   #14

Boat: 1983 Gulfstar 36
This "New Tape" has been around or years in other industries (Aircraft) Just a little buytal tape and a lot of marketing hype. I have the tape, the knives and the pans etc They all work fine but a good bit less then hyped. FYI I bought the equivelent aircraft tape that was out of date by a few months (FAA taged) at a flea market for $1 a roll. The aircraft stuff also has a red line stripe to help with the proper wraping.

"Yes, well.. perhaps some more wine" (Julia Child)
S/V Antares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2008, 08:00   #15

In the Navy we used stuff called EB Green. Electric Boat made it, and it was the default tape option on the submarine. Way better than regular gray tape.

I can't stand tape in general unless there's no other option. It always fails, and leaves a mess. I had a hole in an intake line as well, and managed to use a hose clamp, a cut piece of an inner tube, and some glue to fix the thing.

I'd highly recommend always carrying an old bicycle inner tube with you. Tons of rubber you can cut to size. Just put some glue on the cut piece, stick it on the hole, and zip tie it down. Carry small zip ties.

I don't know, but it worked for me fairly well.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote