Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 19-03-2017, 16:15   #1

Boat: 39ft Corbin pilot house
replacing through hulls in water

I've seen videos and talked to a few sailors that have said and explained replacing through hull fittings while in the water. Seems to be quite a few videos of swapping out transducers in water. Of course their is an inherent risk in doing this just want to hear real experiences and thoughts. My seacocks are stuck shut and one can turn pretty easy like.

Old 19-03-2017, 16:16   #2

Re: replacing through hulls in water

Not the handle, the whole fitting...

Old 19-03-2017, 16:23   #3

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41

If you have proper seacocks, then its very difficult to do in the water. This really needs to be done out of the water so that it can be done properly.

Trying to get the 3 bolts undone while water is streaming in is very risky, not to mention you need to hire a diver to remove the thruhull, then cut the new one to fit into the seacock. do it out of the water so that it can be done properly!!
Old 19-03-2017, 16:28   #4

Boat: csy 44 tall rig.

In a old cored hull could be lot of fun!!!!
Old 19-03-2017, 16:30   #5

Hmmm my seacocks have no bolts. In the bronze casting there is provisions for two bolts but none are there just the hull, block of wood, and casting. They are all this way and I'm pretty sure factory as the previous never mentioned any work or replacement. This is a Corbin 39
Old 19-03-2017, 16:33   #6

No core below water line. Solid glass i believe to be an inch thick or a little over. Built like a tank.
Old 19-03-2017, 17:04   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by battendown View Post
Hmmm my seacocks have no bolts. In the bronze casting there is provisions for two bolts but none are there just the hull, block of wood, and casting. They are all this way and I'm pretty sure factory as the previous never mentioned any work or replacement. This is a Corbin 39
Then they were likely installed incorrectly. Unless your corbin was one of the Rare factory boats then they were installed by a home builder. a proper seacock ( modern variety) has a flange typically in a triangle shape that accepts 3 bolts for fastening it to the hull.
Old 20-03-2017, 08:03   #8

Boat: Westerly Storm 33

If you can overcome the bolt problem, then there's a clever British invention called Seabung, which enables you to change through hull fittings whilst on the water. See here Seabung

Paul Kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2017, 08:15   #9

Boat: Jeanneau SO45.2

On my previous C&C33, I had a Marelon through-hull break - first the handle, which I reinforced with epoxy, then the shaft on the ball (as the handle was longer and stronger). I was able to obtain a replacement of the exact model, so I swam under and inserted a wine cork in the hole (nice snug fit), and was able to unscrew and replace the inner part of the seacock without ever disassembling the hull-side mounting.

Perhaps this might be possible with a bronze one?

If not, personally I'd be looking to do the job in slings, whatever the cost.
Old 20-03-2017, 08:21   #10

The OP asked about replacing a through hull, then the last few posts talk to replacing the seacock valve. BIG difference. Yes, valve replacement is doable at fairly low risk. I can't think of a way to replace the through hull without significant risk to sinking the boat. SO, to the OP. What are you asking to do???
Old 20-03-2017, 08:25   #11
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by battendown View Post
I've seen videos and talked to a few sailors that have said and explained replacing through hull fittings while in the water.
I'm not sure if you are talking about replacing the thru-hull or seacock or both. But assuming it is the thru-hull, this professional diver has been asked to do it many times. My answer is always the same- "Haul the boat." The stressful clusterf*ck that this kind of job could obviously become isn't worth a few hundred bucks. Not to me anyway.
Old 20-03-2017, 08:29   #12

Boat: Nothing yet

Tanks sink fast! Even if it costs a thousand dollars it's worth the price to know you can do the job right
Old 20-03-2017, 08:43   #13

Starting at the 3:42 mark. Replacing thru-hulls while in the water.
Old 20-03-2017, 08:49   #14
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag

this adventure is a very educational one. i did this with my ericson 35 when i first bought it in 2004-- had weeping engine intake and wanted to continue to be able to visualize my boat from the coronado bridge, not from below, so i had divers change the mayhem out--seems the mess was original 1979thru hull and parts were added to it by the sloth po.
took 2 divers and a worker inside boat to properly change the thru hull fitting out. this is completely do able. just needs the right folks working on it.
this is also why gods invented plungers.
btw-- my thru hull fitting change IN THE WATER cost me 800 ish dollars, us, and took 3 guys to do it. was worst case scenario, as are most of my repairs.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2017, 08:55   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
this adventure is a very educational one. i did this with my ericson 35 when i first bought it in 2004-- had weeping engine intake and wanted to continue to be able to visualize my boat from the coronado bridge, not from below, so i had divers change the mayhem out--seems the mess was original 1979thru hull and parts were added to it by the sloth po.
took 2 divers and a worker inside boat to properly change the thru hull fitting out. this is completely do able. just needs the right folks working on it.
this is also why gods invented plungers.
btw-- my thru hull fitting change IN THE WATER cost me 800 ish dollars, us, and took 3 guys to do it. was worst case scenario, as are most of my repairs.
Ouch $800 thats the cost of 2 complete haul outs! The whole thing is safer and simpler if you just haul and do the work.

Tags
hull, water

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: