Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-07-2012, 04:39   #1

Boat: Lagoon 37
Replacing Stripes

The stripes on our boat are in bad need of replacing, but I am lazy and looking for input for replacing the stripes. . The options as I see them are either put the tape over the existing or remove the old, which seems like it would be a REAL bitch. Scraping them would surely leave scratches in the gel coat. Using a heat gun and scraping seems like a real PITA, in summer temps. Is there some magic way to remove them easily?
https://www.sailblogs.com/member/svjusdreaming/
"The only way to get a good crew is to marry one." -Eric Hiscock
JusDreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2012, 05:59   #2

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27
Re: Replacing Stripes

If they are vinyl type, a single edge razorblade will make short work of them--use a heat gun to soften them if necessary. Take a piece of sandpaper and round the sharp corners on the razorblade.

After you get them off, you will need to take off the remaining adhesive with paint thinner. Then you will find that the area under the stripes is a different shade than the rest of the hull....a few years in the sun will take care of that.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2012, 14:42   #3

Boat: Pearson 34-II
Re: Replacing Stripes

Quote:
Originally Posted by JusDreaming View Post
The stripes on our boat are in bad need of replacing, but I am lazy and looking for input for replacing the stripes. . The options as I see them are either put the tape over the existing or remove the old, which seems like it would be a REAL bitch. Scraping them would surely leave scratches in the gel coat. Using a heat gun and scraping seems like a real PITA, in summer temps. Is there some magic way to remove them easily?

Jusdreaming,
I used Don's method on my boat after 15 years in the sun and it was not difficult. After removing the stripe, I compounded the area underneath with a "light" rubbing compound and finished it with 3M Finesseit with an orbital buffer. I then scribed the new line with a pencil using the rubrail as a guide and applied my new stripes. Be careful not to stretch the stripes too much when you apply them or they will break after awhile. There is also another method that works very well and that is to use a 3M Stripe Off Wheel with an orbital buffer or drill. This is very fast and after removal, I would suggest using the identical finishing technique I described above. Here's the source. Hope this helps. Good luck and good sailing! solutions.3m.com › ... › Transportation Industry3M Marine Products
rognvald is offline   Reply With Quote