Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-12-2015, 08:35   #1
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Seattle
Boat: '76 Bristol 27
Posts: 174
Replacing standing rigging/chainplates on B27 while in the water

Hey everyone.

I recently bought a B27 over the weekend. She is my first boat! Super stoked to get her out on the water and what she can do!

She is in dire need of new chainplates, and probably standing rigging(this part is up in the air).

I know the B27 has a deckstepped mast, however i do not want to haul her out to have the rigging done. I'd prefer to do it while in the water. Does anyone have any resources of this being done?

I know since she isn't a keel-stepped, the rig can't free-stand, however can i use halyards to support the mast while i do 1 at a time?

Also does anyone have good resource on where to get new chainplates and standing rigging? I do live in Seattle, so maybe a local shop?

Thanks!
__________________

__________________
chowdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 10:31   #2
Senior Cruiser
 
roverhi's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Kona, Hawaii, Carlsbad, CA
Boat: 1969 Pearson 35 #108 & 1976 Sabre 28
Posts: 6,005
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
Re: Replacing standing rigging/chainplates on B27 while in the water

Have done most of the rigging on my boat in the water. Use a halyard to support each stay/shroud as you work on that wire. If the boat has fore and aft lower shrouds, the mast will be fine with just those shrouds holding the mast up. Don't thingk I'd want to go to the top with only those shrouds supporting the mast on a 27' boat though. It's doubltful that a keel stepped mast will stand without some support from shrouds/stays if there are any side loads on the mast. All keel stepped masts do is provide another puka for water to get below decks. Can hear the keel stepped uber alles fanatics grumbling already.
__________________

__________________
Peter O.
'Ae'a Pearson 35
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 11:43   #3
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Seattle
Boat: '76 Bristol 27
Posts: 174
Re: Replacing standing rigging/chainplates on B27 while in the water

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
Have done most of the rigging on my boat in the water. Use a halyard to support each stay/shroud as you work on that wire. If the boat has fore and aft lower shrouds, the mast will be fine with just those shrouds holding the mast up. Don't thingk I'd want to go to the top with only those shrouds supporting the mast on a 27' boat though. It's doubltful that a keel stepped mast will stand without some support from shrouds/stays if there are any side loads on the mast. All keel stepped masts do is provide another puka for water to get below decks. Can hear the keel stepped uber alles fanatics grumbling already.
Thanks for that response! I've heard from multiple people its doable while the boats in the water.

We are in a marina, so i am not too worried about chop while doing this. Our boat doesn't have lower shrouds, only the main ones running from the top fore and aft.

When rigging up a halyard to support each stay/shroud, where are they typically attached? To where the shroud/stays are? Or in another location? When doing them, do you typically rig up halyards for each one, get the tension on them then loose the shroud/stays to pass the load over the halyard then do one at a time? Or do you typically just do one halyard for the stay/shroud that you are actively working on?
__________________
chowdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 11:52   #4
Marine Service Provider

Join Date: May 2012
Location: New Orleans
Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.
Posts: 3,940
Re: Replacing standing rigging/chainplates on B27 while in the water

Replacing the chainplates without dropping the mast isn't a huge deal. Just run all your halyards to the deck and attach them as close to the chainplate to be replaced as possible, then tension the halyards up. This takes the strain from the shroud, and places it on the halyards instead.

There is absolutely no way to replace the shrouds with the mast up however. You are talking about putting someone's life at risk with a partially supported mast while you place extremely unpredictable loads on the halyards holding the mast in place. And since you need at least two halyards to go up the mast (primary and backup), you have also cut the a aunt of support for the mast down substantially.

All this to avoid a very cheap and easy job of taking down the rig?
__________________
Greg

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 12:05   #5
Registered User
 
thomm225's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Hampton Roads
Boat: 1974 Bristol 27
Posts: 3,465
Re: Replacing standing rigging/chainplates on B27 while in the water

Quote:
Originally Posted by chowdan View Post
Our boat doesn't have lower shrouds, only the main ones running from the top fore and aft.
If it's a Bristol 27, it should have lower shrouds.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01814.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	407.9 KB
ID:	114481  
__________________
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 14:55   #6
Senior Cruiser
 
Jim Cate's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: May 2008
Location: cruising SW Pacific
Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Posts: 11,455
Re: Replacing standing rigging/chainplates on B27 while in the water

Umm... what's a "B-27"? Sounds like a WW2 bomber to me...

And FWIW, I've replaced the standing rigging on our last two boats, one wire at a time.

But they were larger (36 and 46 feet) and had keel stepped masts... and yes, I believe that in this respect it does make a difference, others opinions notwithstanding.

Jim
__________________
Jim and Ann s/v Insatiable II , lying Port Cygnet, Tasmania once again
Jim Cate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 15:44   #7
Registered User

Join Date: May 2010
Location: Sydney Australia
Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'
Posts: 750
Re: Replacing standing rigging/chainplates on B27 while in the water

32 Fisher with a deck stepped mast, had rigger replace all standing rigging, done with mast up one wire at a time. Everything survived just fine, including the young and agile guy that went up the mast to fit and remove individual sections.
__________________
Rob aka Uncle Bob Sydney Australia.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 15:50   #8
Senior Cruiser
 
tartansail's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Tiverton, RI, USA
Boat: ex-Tartan 40
Posts: 614
Images: 1
Re: Replacing standing rigging/chainplates on B27 while in the water

We had a spreader come loose on our B-27 many years ago. We used a halyard to stabilize the mast and I hauled my wife up the mast to put the spreader back in place while on a mooring with 2 foot chop and 25 knots of wind. After that I would be fine with using a halyard while working on chain plates or the lower end of the shrouds. It took a while for my wife to forgive me, though.


Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
__________________
- David
S/V Sapphire Tartan 40 #71

tartansail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 23:11   #9
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Seattle
Boat: '76 Bristol 27
Posts: 174
Re: Replacing standing rigging/chainplates on B27 while in the water

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
If it's a Bristol 27, it should have lower shrouds.
Ahhh yes it totally does, my mistake!
__________________
chowdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 04:20   #10
Registered User
 
thomm225's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Hampton Roads
Boat: 1974 Bristol 27
Posts: 3,465
Re: Replacing standing rigging/chainplates on B27 while in the water

Quote:
Originally Posted by chowdan View Post
Ahhh yes it totally does, my mistake!
Just wanted to make sure you weren't going to try and sail without them.
__________________
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 09:25   #11
Marine Service Provider

Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Marblehead, MA
Boat: Swan 44
Posts: 15
Re: Replacing standing rigging/chainplates on B27 while in the water

If you are going to replace your chainplates, you can get them at GarhauerStore dot com. They make chainplates for production boats and will also make custom chainplates. Good luck with the project.
__________________
Only Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 09:47   #12
Registered User

Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Bellingham, WA
Boat: Bruce Roberts 44' Steel Mauritius
Posts: 577
Re: Replacing standing rigging/chainplates on B27 while in the water

Doable but would recommend hauling. Almost got killed last year when helper released shrouds by mistake. Much larger and heavier mast. Would include photo of the hole it put in my head but don't want to gross you out. If possible pull the mast, inspect everything and do it right.
__________________
Mithril Bham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 12:14   #13
Registered User

Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 77
Re: Replacing standing rigging/chainplates on B27 while in the water

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumble View Post
Replacing the chainplates without dropping the mast isn't a huge deal. Just run all your halyards to the deck and attach them as close to the chainplate to be replaced as possible, then tension the halyards up. This takes the strain from the shroud, and places it on the halyards instead.

There is absolutely no way to replace the shrouds with the mast up however. You are talking about putting someone's life at risk with a partially supported mast while you place extremely unpredictable loads on the halyards holding the mast in place. And since you need at least two halyards to go up the mast (primary and backup), you have also cut the a aunt of support for the mast down substantially.
You've got the main halyard, the jib halyard, the spinnaker halyard, the boom topping lift, the spinnaker pole uphaul and possibly another spare halyard to play with, so you can use a selection of these lines to secure the mast on the side on which you wish to work, while still leaving sufficient lines for hauling up your bosuns chair and having a safety line. Additionally you can use your anchor and chain, plus water containers, diesel jerrycans and any other heavy objects to heel the boat over to the relevant side, so that there is actually no load on the shroud being removed, nor the halyards etc which are temporarily replacing it. Alternatively you can take a halyard and attach it to a cleat on the opposite side of the pontoon (probably using an extending piece of rope), to provide both extra leverage and heel at the same time.
Or, you could do what the French do; attach the halyard to the next pontoon and haul away on the winch until the boat is lying on her beam ends, then work on anything you like at the top of the mast without going aloft at all!
__________________
SpiritofGlenans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 15:56   #14
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Seattle
Boat: '76 Bristol 27
Posts: 174
Re: Replacing standing rigging/chainplates on B27 while in the water

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiritofGlenans View Post
You've got the main halyard, the jib halyard, the spinnaker halyard, the boom topping lift, the spinnaker pole uphaul and possibly another spare halyard to play with, so you can use a selection of these lines to secure the mast on the side on which you wish to work, while still leaving sufficient lines for hauling up your bosuns chair and having a safety line. Additionally you can use your anchor and chain, plus water containers, diesel jerrycans and any other heavy objects to heel the boat over to the relevant side, so that there is actually no load on the shroud being removed, nor the halyards etc which are temporarily replacing it. Alternatively you can take a halyard and attach it to a cleat on the opposite side of the pontoon (probably using an extending piece of rope), to provide both extra leverage and heel at the same time.
Or, you could do what the French do; attach the halyard to the next pontoon and haul away on the winch until the boat is lying on her beam ends, then work on anything you like at the top of the mast without going aloft at all!
That is all very good ideas! I never thought about weighing down one side to force the opposite shrouds to take all the weight while replacing one side.

I dont think i have enough room in the marina to do a good 40-90 degree heel using a winch at my current slip, however that is an incredibly genius idea!
__________________
chowdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 16:15   #15
Registered User
 
Cruiser2B's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Norfolk
Boat: Westsail 32
Posts: 367
Re: Replacing standing rigging/chainplates on B27 while in the water

I recommend taking mast down and just doing it all at once.

I had the same idea to do it one at a time, glad I didn't. Especially when fabricating chainplates.

I left boat in water, i took boat over to local marina that lifts smaller power boats into a shed(boatel). Talked with the forklift guy, gave him a 12pack and marina $50 and they lifted my mast off for me...took 15min

I made up sling and lifted mast a spreaders, mast was pretty balanced at that point of the mast, slightly bottom heavy because of winches. Anyway, I tied a rope to bottom of mast and as he lifted and weight came off mast step, i took out clevis pins(loosened everything up first). He lifted mast clear of the boat and I kept mast from swinging with rope tied at bottom.

It went smooth
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Almost thereresize.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	114553   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00433-20120226-1208resize.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	41.0 KB
ID:	114554  

__________________

__________________
http://svsalacia.blogspot.com
1971 Alberg 30..preparing to get underway!
USCG 100T Master Near Coastal with Inland Aux Sail
Cruiser2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
rigging, water

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mast Stability while replacing chainplates billdre Deck hardware: Rigging, Sails & Hoisting 31 30-10-2015 09:25
Method for replacing chainplates and standing rigging wunderluster Deck hardware: Rigging, Sails & Hoisting 4 15-09-2012 17:05
Replacing with synthetic standing rigging? Anzo Construction, Maintenance & Refit 1 14-07-2012 18:05
Cost of Replacing Standing Rigging on 41 Beneteau FraidNot Deck hardware: Rigging, Sails & Hoisting 3 14-07-2010 08:14
Replacing standing rigging San Juan Sailor Construction, Maintenance & Refit 23 05-02-2009 05:16



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:06.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.