Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-08-2019, 11:53   #1
P27

Boat: Precision P27
Replacing sound depressing in engine compartment

I need to replace the sound depressing it’s falling off and decomposing leaving a black residue from the foam I have not decided to go with the precut squares that are adhesive backed or to purchase the kits with spray on adhesive. My thought is the precut adhesive backed squares would be easier to install but with a lot more seams and how will the adhesive hold compared to spraying the adhesive from a can I think the sprayed method would be a better approach but may take a bit more work and time looking for advise.
P27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 12:32   #2

Boat: Bristol 41.1
Re: Replacing sound depressing in engine compartment

In the commercial trades, the use of stick pins is predominant for similar applications. In conjunction with spray adhesive, pretty bombproof.

redsky49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 13:31   #3
P27

I do believe the stick pins are in the kit I was looking at I am somewhat cautious about peel and stick do to the fact that almost all glued don’t do well with heat
Old 05-08-2019, 13:38   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

I used narrow strips of thin plywood tacked over the panels every six inches or so to make sure that they didn't fall in the works. It's held up for 9 years OK.
Old 05-08-2019, 14:25   #5

Boat: Bristol 41.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by P27 View Post
I do believe the stick pins are in the kit I was looking at I am somewhat cautious about peel and stick do to the fact that almost all glued don’t do well with heat

Epoxy the stick pins, spacing based on weight of insulation. You won't need many. For sound dampening choose your materials carefully. Many, if not most vendors, make claims but provide zero documentation. There are organizations that establish testing criteria. In the US for example, ASTM. Look for performance across multiple octaves.

What frequencies are you trying to address. Most products work best at only certain frequencies. Will you require a cleanable surface? Foams are probably not the answer then. Lead works well at low frequencies, for example.

Are you trying to dampen the sound (absorbers) or contain it (reflecting) or a combination of both? Can you seal cracks and gaps? What about door gaskets?

Do you require nonflammable materials? Look for both a smoke and burn rating (somewhere less than 25/50). Lower is better.

To compare apples to apples look for a chart like this:

redsky49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 16:37   #6
P27

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsky49 View Post

Epoxy the stick pins, spacing based on weight of insulation. You won't need many. For sound dampening choose your materials carefully. Many, if not most vendors, make claims but provide zero documentation. There are organizations that establish testing criteria. In the US for example, ASTM. Look for performance across multiple octaves.

What frequencies are you trying to address. Most products work best at only certain frequencies. Will you require a cleanable surface? Foams are probably not the answer then. Lead works well at low frequencies, for example.

Are you trying to dampen the sound (absorbers) or contain it (reflecting) or a combination of both? Can you seal cracks and gaps? What about door gaskets?

Do you require nonflammable materials? Look for both a smoke and burn rating (somewhere less than 25/50). Lower is better.

To compare apples to apples look for a chart like this:

Thanks I will look into it
Old 06-08-2019, 10:41   #7

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 44 CC Cutter

In 2013 we ripped out the deteriorating factory installed foam and replaced it with rolls of foil backed sandwich of foam with a plastic layer in the center. Spray on adhesive has worked like a charm. We motor whenever necessary, sometimes for great distances when going to the destination means a beat. This solution has held up well.

First shot is of the backside of companionway steps. Sorry, can’t flip the second.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3DDA591B-11DB-41CA-8A97-D4C9D874DE73.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	437.0 KB
ID:	197357   Click image for larger version

Name:	AD0AF75E-E69D-4CDC-B06C-407CDE7179B3.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	422.8 KB
ID:	197358  

Old 06-08-2019, 15:46   #8

Boat: Albin 25

I replaced the OEM insulation in the engine box to deaden the sound of the VP diesel. I wants with a roll of soundown sticky-back plus the pin things shown above. Works well and stays up. Great improvement in noise level. Check out soundown website. Quality product.
Sunsetrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 15:48   #9

Boat: Albin 25

Went with not wants with!!
Sunsetrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 15:51   #10

Boat: Boatless :( (for now)

Hi P27,

Spray adhesive works really well (nice work Mahayana!). Just try ensure the surfaces are all nice and clean and the recommended dry times/temperature are followed, solvent entrapment can cause the glue to not cure/release.

I usually try put some pan head self tapping screws with a large wash around as well as a bit of a fail safe. Always use the tape for seams and edges as the most often peel here.

Better to spend an extra 10 minutes for peace of mind.

Good luck!
boatbroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 17:11   #11

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

I used adhesive combined with pan head screws and fender washers - still going well after nearly 40 years. But the foam itself isn't so it is time to replace. I used a 1" foam/heavy rubber/1/4" foam sandwich with an aluminized mylar (?) top cover - I would not use lead instead of the heavy rubber. All edges and seams were sealed with a matching silver tape which helps hold the foam in place and prevents moisture and diesel from penetrating the foam. The old Sabb engine was pretty noisy and this made a big difference.

Greg
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 04:28   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

When looking at material options for this application consider performance automotive firewall padding. I used this and found it very effective as well as inexpensive.
Old 07-08-2019, 09:20   #13

Boat: Norseman 447

The least of your longevity worries will be the adhesive. I put sound-barrier foam in the engine spaces in 1998. The fancy stuff with the lead-filled plastic layer. Since then, the plastic foam has deteriorated and most of it that was not held on mechanically has fallen off. The worst problem with replacing it has been getting off the old adhesive and foam remnants which sticks to the bulkheads like a poor relative.
Bycrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 13:15   #14
P27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson Force View Post
When looking at material options for this application consider performance automotive firewall padding. I used this and found it very effective as well as inexpensive.

In searching for material to use I took a look at rock wool I would really consider it if came in sheet form it is waterproof fireproof doesn’t mold evidently doesn’t have foil covering like foam. It is an insulation so don’t know if it would trap excessive amount of heat around engine
Old 07-08-2019, 13:49   #15

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Rock Wool is a pretty poor sound insulation compared to the purpose made closed cell and lead/heavy plastic insulation.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine, men