Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-05-2008, 22:12   #1

Boat: Cascade 42 Tabula Rasa
Replacing Portlights

I am currently in the process of replacing the portlights in my boat. Anyone have tips to make removing the old ones easier? I don't know what kind of clauking they used but it certainly holds well!!

Thanks
Steve
Stevek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 00:56   #2

Boat: Allied Princess, 36-Scallywag
Steve,
Hopefully, you found replacement portlights that fit. It seems the manufacturers make everything a different size then years ago. When I replaced my portlight, I used a putty knife to cut through the old caulk. I took out all the screws that were visible. It took some time!

John
scallywag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 04:39   #3

If of the usual type with a frame on the outside that is bedded on a sealant like Sikaflex 291 rather than an adhesive, get the screws out then if one makes up some shallow angle plastic wedges (not too hard so will not scratch the gel coat/paint eg kitchen cutting board polyethylene) and if you can get them going in the edge of the trim gently tap them in. If a proper sealant has been used and done properly there should be a slight thickness of sealant between the back of the trim and the boat to start working the wedges into.

With some perseverance this will often just pop the trim off.
MidLandOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 06:33   #4

Boat: Sceptre 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidLandOne View Post
If of the usual type with a frame on the outside that is bedded on a sealant like Sikaflex 291 rather than an adhesive, get the screws out then if one makes up some shallow angle plastic wedges (not too hard so will not scratch the gel coat/paint eg kitchen cutting board polyethylene) and if you can get them going in the edge of the trim gently tap them in. If a proper sealant has been used and done properly there should be a slight thickness of sealant between the back of the trim and the boat to start working the wedges into.

With some perseverance this will often just pop the trim off.
I agree with this. In additon I would take a razor knife and cut at the sealant.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 23:12   #5

Boat: Cascade 42 Tabula Rasa
Thanks for the suggestions. I will try the wedge technique. I have been trying the razor can't get enough penetration to fully cut the sealent. These are plastic frames with the flange on the inside and the trim outside. I will be repairing a little bit of rot from leakage. The replacements are a little bigger and should fit with a bit of trimming

Steve
Stevek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 04:00   #6

Boat: Westsail - CC - 42
Depending on the surface they're on you could apply some heat from a heat gun to warm the flange. I'm assuming we'r talking bronze here. If plastic my guess is you'lll just end up breaking them apart as they appear to crystalize w/ age.

Fair Winds.
dkall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 06:31   #7

Boat: Beneteau 321 Andrea Lynn
I have used a product called Anti-Bond with some success. I spray it at the highest point and let it soak for some time. Seems to help release the bedding material. I will use it today on a portlight on the coach roof.
Old 04-05-2008, 08:35   #8

Boat: islander, 37- help?
any ideas on how to get the sealent off old alu. port lights? and would paint or powder coat be best for refinishing?
neckyzips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2010, 14:16   #9

I had the similar situation and carefully used a putty knife and a heat gun.
I finally got them off but now need to replace them. I found that the newer ones are larger and I guess I get to use my Dremmel...again.
Mr. Jeffrey
mr. jeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2010, 15:34   #10

Boat: Sceptre 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by neckyzips View Post
any ideas on how to get the sealent off old alu. port lights? and would paint or powder coat be best for refinishing?
I just took a spray that was used for releasing sealant and sprayed it on the aluminum and then worked at it with a scouring pad. Occasionally I had to take a razor and score or scrape some of the larger more stubborn sections. It really is just a time consuming job.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2010, 17:31   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo
+1 on the heat gun.. a valuable tool!

Tags
portlights