Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-03-2014, 12:25   #1

Replacing my hatch - plastic, metal?

I'm replacing my original black metal 1977 forward hatch due to leaks. I'm looking at my options. My measures are 19 3/8 for the inner fit and 22 1/2 on the outer. The only local option vs online is plastic with maybe glass or plexiglass (workers seemed conflicted on this) for a 19 3/4 fit... don't know if that is workable. I can buy online too. My contractor says to go aluminum/plexiglass. Any suggestions on brands or sites to buy or my local option?
Captain Pappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2014, 16:56   #2

Boat: Cape Dory 31
Re: Replacing my hatch - plastic, metal?

Where are you located?
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2014, 05:30   #3

On the st johns river currently
Old 26-03-2014, 05:44   #4
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40

Captain Pappy, you can purchase various brands and various levels of quality of hatches online - check out Defender.com, for example. I purchased Lewmar Ocean series as replacements, but depending upon your boat and intended use you can go much cheaper than that. The specs will usually give you inside dimensions (which is what is really key). On mine, I did have to cut out a slightly larger opening and drill new holes for the hardware. Just make sure you epoxy fill the old holes and that you do not cut far enough to expose the core (if so, you will need to scrape out some core and fill with epoxy/microballoons before installation.

Good luck!

Brad
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2014, 14:46   #5

Thank you Southern Star for the site! I'm always looking for new sites to buy good priced marine gear and parts. I'd love to find one or two sites that are the boating equal to Amazon/Newegg in electronics. I checked out Defender.com and see only one item meets my inner 19 3/8 criteria and that is a Lewmar like yours. Damn... $400+!! I can do it but trying to budget all of this strategically. I am not familiar with brands in this area. What should I look for to determine quality from a hatch? Leak-proof would be nice, and a window that won't shatter from passenger error would be nice if that exists. I'm researching... In audio, Monster Cable is indeed fantastic, but there are brands of equal quality for a fraction of the price.
Old 27-03-2014, 14:48   #6

Do you why or how the hatch is leaking? Maybe repair is an option?
Delancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2014, 15:11   #7

It's the original from 1977. The window is cracked, and the leak is from the seams. My contractor said he can repair it but it's not worth paying him (his words). His suggestion is a replacement. I'm on Lewmar's website researching the difference between Ocean, Flush, Pilot, Low and Medium Profile hatches, as well as the benefits of flat base vs. with a flange. I did find a site, Mauri Pro: Wind and Water Sports that has the same previously mentioned hatch for $389
Old 27-03-2014, 16:05   #8

So on Lewmar's site I think I get the picture... now there is a Medium Profile one that interior measures at 19 3/8 but the Ocean series doesn't seem to have that exactly... is there a Ocean Series that would fit without too much labor costs?
Old 27-03-2014, 16:30   #9

Boat: aluminium twin keel, Laurent Giles, 62 foot
Is the lens cracked or the metal frame? The lens can be replaced and the frame might be welded
heintje23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2014, 16:44   #10

The metal frame is black and can be repainted or welded, and the window has age cracks everywhere, but you hit a point in labor costs where I'd rather buy new and trade in/sell the old one.
My contractor who stands to make more money in labor also mirrors the idea of going new. Those Lewmar's look beautiful and part 39940020 is the perfect fit. Saw a youtube video made by West Marine showing a 14 year old Lewmar hatch that looked brand new. Just debating on if there is an Ocean series that would fit or require minor labor or if the labor costs for extra thickness make it negligible between the mid series.
Old 27-03-2014, 16:48   #11

Hi Jim Walsh... aren't you the dad on Beverly Hills 90210? You have a great name.. why did you ask where I'm located... you aren't going to break into my boat knowing I have a dodgy hatch are you? If you do, please don't take my paper towels, my one sole possession. Oh, and the head is a WIP so beware, haha!
Old 27-03-2014, 19:58   #12

Boat: Outremer 50S

You could also check out Bomar if price is an issue with Lewmar, depends on how heavy-duty you need things, they make a 900 series which is pretty light weight and a 2000 series which is a little beefier. If you shop around online you should be able to find much better than list pricing.

Bomar - Hatches - 900 Series

Bomar - Hatches - 2000 Series

Bomar - Hatches - Cast
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hatch