Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-11-2015, 10:25   #31

Boat: 1971 cal 27
Re: Replacing keel bolts: Which metal is best?

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed1v View Post
Like there are not disposable plastic boats out there? There are bunches of beat up plastic boats in the back of most boatyards up here that simply wore out with use or neglect. Thin gelcoats, thinner hulls, horrible pot metal fittings, wood screws used to match hull to deck, and so on. Worst one was a Hudson 51 which had regular small plywood pieces used to fill the deck's core, pine boards to fill the hull/deck seam, and several different metals used in the keel.
not to butt in but, i am pretty sure no one is saying that such boats do not exist. I would say that he was commenting on your implication that the OP's boat is such a boat.

seriously, i'm not sure why so many people insult the boats of people they are posting to help with their boats. not every boat will be the best boat. not everyone can afford the best boat. of course, not everyone can even agree on what the best boat is. however, regardless of other people's opinions, most of us love our boats and, you wouldn't go around insulting a man's wife. so, why would you insult the other love of his life?

(disclaimer :
i am a man. that being said, i speak from a man's perspective. the same concepts apply to female owners of boats. to have to say he/she with every statement makes reading heavy and interrupts the flow of the writing. since we are all adults, such nitpickery is simply unnecessary. however, if it really bothers you, feel free to swap the gender specifics (in your mind, of course) as you read. )
first wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2015, 10:37   #32

Boat: 1971 cal 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout 30 View Post
Regarding "disposable boats" this is actually a valid point even if it sounds harsh. The question is whether the cost to cure exceeds not just the contributory value of the repair but possibly the value of the whole boat after repair. This is an issue everyone with an older boat has to grapple with.
it really depends on your purpose in owning a boat. if it's an investment in future wealth, you are better off buying land. just like with a motorcycle, never invest time and money improving your boat if resale is your goal. you might be lucky to get half of what you invest, at resale.

if you bought/own an older boat (any boat, really), and your own enjoyment is your goal, then the value of the boat and the merit of the repair is a rather subjective point. one person's waste of money is another person's good investment.

how much do you like your boat?
would you be happier with this boat fixed or another boat?
will the money and time invested achieve it's intended goal?

you have to remember that your new boat will also reach a point, maybe not too far from now, when you face this decision for it.
first wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2015, 10:43   #33

Boat: Catalina 387

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout 30 View Post
Regarding "disposable boats" this is actually a valid point even if it sounds harsh. The question is whether the cost to cure exceeds not just the contributory value of the repair but possibly the value of the whole boat after repair. This is an issue everyone with an older boat has to grapple with.
I didn't read it as being as harsh as Jim did. We likely read a different tone into the statement. The boat in question is a Catalina 22, which can be had around here for around $2-3 thousand (there's even one on craigslist right now for $750).

There's tons of C-22's out there.

At some point, a different C-22 without keel problems is money ahead.

I doubt anybody would seriously think titanium or monel would be a suitable keel repair for a $3K boat.
jeepbluetj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2015, 11:10   #34

Boat: Scout 30

I think it's common for comments on the internet to sound harsher than intended. IMHO it's better to try not to assume bad intent unless it's just an obvious insult. In this case I just don't see it.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2015, 19:22   #35

Graham ho has hit the keel bolt on the head !
Re my c30
My keel bolt and nuts were just a clump of rust . So I started with a hammer to clean the rust off an was slightly shocked at the state of the nuts and exposed bolt tops .
I did a combination of chisels and wrenches to replace the nuts 1 by 1 ( still in the water ) until they were all changed . Here's some pics .
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1450063243.892325.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	100.5 KB
ID:	114982Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1450063273.630797.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	77.1 KB
ID:	114983
I think as said before just clean them up and put new nuts on .

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
woodyapex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2015, 19:31   #36

Boat: Bluewater 40, Cal 20, Bayliner Avanti

..I replaced on a Coronado 35 with SS 316, separated with expoxy in order to avoid future problems. For the rib, we used same material used for propeller axle, I cannot remember the material but have a much higher resistance to corrosion and strength.
5 years later, we remove all epoxy to check bolts and everything looks like yesterday.. was a very good job...
Old 13-12-2015, 20:21   #37

Boat: Sabre 34 , Island Packet 38

Thank you Jim for posting your comment.

It seems to me that some individuals here just need to be ugly. I am old enough to understand why some people need to post their ugly comments because they are just plain ugly people.

If only they would keep to themselves, as they likely are since all caring people should have left them , we would all be better off.

Peace On Earth, Good Will To All... wouldn't that be nice

Paul
Old 13-12-2015, 20:29   #38

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

Such intolerance of others I find offensive.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2015, 21:05   #39

Boat: Macgreggor Venture 22

Keel bolt Shmeel bolt.. Let's all be friends.. Lol
Curious Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
keel, keel bolts