Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-07-2006, 12:47   #1

Replacing Halyards

I'm looking to replace all of my halyards and the outhaul. What is the best way to secure the new halyard/outhaul to the old halyard/outhaul so that I can just pull the new halyard/outhaul through?

On a seperate subject, I have a loose-footed main and I am looking for a clew strap to lash the clew to the boom and reduce the strain on the outhaul. Anybody know where I can get one for a J/32?
chicago sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 13:40   #2

Boat: Amel, Super Maramu, 53 feet - DoodleBug
I usually take down my spinnaker halyard when I leave the boat for extended periods of time, or in the event of an expected gale. I use a thin “traveler” line that I bought in case I ever broke or “lost” a halyard and had to replace it at sea. I have never had to do the latter but I often exchange the “thick” spinnaker halyard for the thin and light traveler. I tie a rolling hitch with the thin line around the “thick” halyard and then wrap the loose end of the light line to the thick halyard with a couple of turns of electrical insulating tape. I also wrap the loose end of the “thick” halyard to the thin line with a couple of turns of electrical tape. Then I just pull on the other end of the halyard and feed the thin line through the halyard blocks. I have never had this either jam or the lines separate. Reinstallation of the halyard is the reverse procedure. My traveler line is something like 3mm Vectran with a 1900 lb. breaking strain but most any thin line would do. BTW if you ever lose a halyard, the recovery procedure is to climb the mast somehow – (hope you have another halyard!) – and then drop the thin traveler line down the mast with a small socket or fishing weight tied on the end.
Ed Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 13:55   #3

Boat: C&C 27
If your halyards are in place and you simply want to replace them take a sail needle and thread and sew the two ends together. Waxed sail thread is pretty strong so it will not take too many loops to hold the two together. Some people will tape the joint so it will not jam.
Pura Vida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 14:31   #4

Boat: VandeStadt IOR 40' - Insatiable
I sew the two ends together (flush, not overlapped) and then wrap a little bit of insulation tape around the sewn area to prevent snags...it has always worked for me.
Weyalan is offline   Reply With Quote