Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 02-06-2014, 12:26   #31

Boat: Jeanneau 52.2
Re: Replacing Fuel Tanks... a New Idea?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bornyesterday View Post
Couple of things occurred to me reading your posts...

Risk of explosion is very real. Heat from cutting & welding vaporises fuel residues into explosive mixture with air. Steaming for a long time used to be preferred - a day or two was usual IIRC.

Until you've paid in full you don't own anything. Usually.

Old people sometimes die unexpectedly, heirs aren't always so nice.

Economies can go up as well as down - values/prices then tend to rise and other buyers appear.

I may well have misunderstood your posts of course...
Thanks for your reply, Yes I understand about the vapours, getting it to a flamable point would not be hard with a grinder, washing and steaming??
Could you please explain steaming.

Regards to paying in full, we have a contract and it will be revised based on issues we need to rectify.

The next point is so true also however I am not going to cancel due to the possibility of someone dying. Heirs can be very nasty.

Economy is not an issue.

I have been frank with my post.

How much soap and water or detegent can help the cutting process, fire retardant in the tank? could that help?

A great solution is what I am looking out for here and was hoping someone can steer a skilled newbie in the right direction.
Thanks

Old 02-06-2014, 12:31   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by BriRich View Post
I just replaced the fuel tanks on Amihan. My friend that has done the refit is a shipwright and does awesome f-glass work. I suggested f-glass and making molds. He didn't like the idea even though it would mean good work for him. The cost of making the molds is what turned him off. Unless you are a f-glass guru and can do it yourself the cost may be high.

Instead we took out the 30 year old steel tanks and replaced them exactly with new steel tanks with a good coat of red primer stuff on them.

Hi Bririch, how did you remove the tanks, was it in a Nauticat? Did you cut them up to remove? Id love to know how you did it and what prep you did to ensure no tank gas explosion issues.

Old 03-06-2014, 01:25   #33
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyboy-afloat View Post
Hi Bririch, how did you remove the tanks, was it in a Nauticat? Did you cut them up to remove? Id love to know how you did it and what prep you did to ensure no tank gas explosion issues.

It's easy to cut up an old tank to get rid of it. Just clean it with powerful degreaser till it's good and clean and flush it with water. Disposing of the diesel mess can be an issue. Then cut that sucker up and get rid of it, if that's what needs to happen. Removing that starboard wall next to the tank will help you decide what needs to happen.

Replacing will be the difficult part. If yours is like mine, and it may not be, that is a 225 gallon tank. Much too big to get a new one through any opening on the boat. But it could fairly easily be replaced with two tanks in the same space. You may have to remove the sliding door on the pilothouse, but that is simple. A few more fittings and plumbing would be required. It's not a small project, but you may do it with the time on hand if you really hustle. Good luck!

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 01:30   #34
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

If you need to cut a bigger access panel to help clean thoroughly, and you have already decided to remove the tank, you can make your first cuts with a Sawzall instead of a grinder or cutting disc. Much less sparks and heat. Just drill a hole big enough to get your Sawzall blade in to start. Careful of the sharp jagged edge it leaves. A pneumatic hacksaw or Kett saw is even better, or a nibbler. But those are harder to come by.

Old 03-06-2014, 02:13   #35

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Cowes (Winter), Baltic (Summer) (the boat!); somewhere in the air (me!)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
. . and in france, who knows of a tank manufacturer that I could get from over here.
. . .
This may be too late to help, but the gold standard for boat tanks over here is Tek Tanks:

Tek-Tanks - Custom made or standard fit water, waste and fuel tanks

They made the tanks on my boat, and they are wonderful. I hope and expect that the original tanks on my boat will outlive me . . .

They will custom build any kind of tank you need and ship it to you in France.
Old 03-06-2014, 05:49   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
It's easy to cut up an old tank to get rid of it. Just clean it with powerful degreaser till it's good and clean and flush it with water. Disposing of the diesel mess can be an issue. Then cut that sucker up and get rid of it, if that's what needs to happen. Removing that starboard wall next to the tank will help you decide what needs to happen.

Replacing will be the difficult part. If yours is like mine, and it may not be, that is a 225 gallon tank. Much too big to get a new one through any opening on the boat. But it could fairly easily be replaced with two tanks in the same space. You may have to remove the sliding door on the pilothouse, but that is simple. A few more fittings and plumbing would be required. It's not a small project, but you may do it with the time on hand if you really hustle. Good luck!
Hi Minaret, thanks for your post, I will place two tanks in probably and link them up. I have the cavity size and will order the tanks soon. Still draining the fuel tanks and removing the heater, generator(which is not a huge one) and other items that will be in the way for the cutout. Ill learn a few things about the yacht and try to make the cutout of the engine room wall a future removable feature in case we or someone else has to get in there again.

ll post pics of the process and show some bleeding knuckles!

Dave
Old 03-06-2014, 06:22   #37

Boat: Cape North 43

Quote:
I have a Cape North 43 center cockpit so it was pretty easy when we were on the hard and pulled the engine to clean and paint the bilge. Tanks are port and starboard of the engine. Just took the old tanks to the fabricator.

I think my main point in commenting on this post is with regard to building molds for fiberglass tanks as being time consuming and costly.
Old 03-06-2014, 07:53   #38
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Hi Minaret, thanks for your post, I will place two tanks in probably and link them up. I have the cavity size and will order the tanks soon. Still draining the fuel tanks and removing the heater, generator(which is not a huge one) and other items that will be in the way for the cutout. Ill learn a few things about the yacht and try to make the cutout of the engine room wall a future removable feature in case we or someone else has to get in there again.

ll post pics of the process and show some bleeding knuckles!

Dave

Please do, and welcome to CF!

Feel free to ask away if you have any questions, I may be able to help after having disassembled and reassembled my whole boat. You may want to contact Nauticat as well, they are quite helpful. I can PM you an email address if you like. Good luck!

Old 03-06-2014, 07:55   #39
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

PS-I would build a pattern or mock up of the tanks in question and bring them to whoever is making them, instead of just using measurements.

Old 19-08-2014, 13:27   #40

Boat: Seafarer 38C

Has anyone heard of Moeller tanks and or have any experience with them?

Tags
fuel tank, tanks, fuel

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: