Originally Posted by Boracay
I'm currently doing the dodger
glazing on Boracay. Greenfields so no old mastic to remove.
I did templates and took them to my local supplier to cut out of 6mm.
They did a nice neat job. Took me a couple of days to realize they'd used 4.5mm. I should have written 6mm in large letters on the templates.
I'm going to try butyl mastic. Anyone any thoughts.
I used butylmastic on my last boat.
Not very successfully. Recently I had the opportunity to watch the professionals in action.
They first positioned the window over the opening and traced outline on the cabin side.
They then neatly masked with tape, along that traced outline. Next they primed the surfaces with a Sika product.
Double sided tape was applied to the cabin side around the perimeter of the opening (this clean cut foam-like surface presents on the inside of the cabin and keeps the gooey sika adhesive
An appropriate sized bead of Sika adhesive
(not sure of the type) is carefully applied to the cabin beside the taped area. The perspex is carefully alligned and then pressed against the tape and Sika. Another small bead of Sika is run around the outside edge of the perspex window if required to fill any gaps.
Using a small flexible radiused scraper the excess Sika is removed before, finally removing the masking tape.
That's it as I recall
, but please jump in, anyone who can see anything I missed.