Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 02-04-2011, 23:56   #1

Boat: L 34
Replacing Acrylic Windows

Please direct me to a thread if one exists. I am planning to replace the acrylic cabin windows on my O'Day40. I am using Perspex because polycarb is not available any thicker than 4mm in South Africa. I thought of scraping off as best as possible the old sealant, sticking on a narrow strip of double-sided tape to give me a spacer between the Perspex and the cabin side, then squirting in a bead of Sikaflex295uv inside and outside.Anyone tackled this job? Any comments welcome. Thks.

Old 03-04-2011, 02:43   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Steel Roberts Offshore 44
Check thickness...

I'm currently doing the dodger glazing on Boracay. Greenfields so no old mastic to remove.

I did templates and took them to my local supplier to cut out of 6mm.

They did a nice neat job. Took me a couple of days to realize they'd used 4.5mm. I should have written 6mm in large letters on the templates.

I'm going to try butyl mastic. Anyone any thoughts.

Old 03-04-2011, 07:30   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Replacing acrylic windows

This thread was one of many applicable discussions
How to Have Sexy Windows !?

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 08:17   #4

Boat: Moody 42
Send me a PM with your email and I can send full instructions for Oday wnndows
D& R Marine sent me the instructions and they are the authority on Odays
Old 03-04-2011, 08:40   #5

Boat: Westsail 33
Re: Check thickness...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boracay View Post
I'm currently doing the dodger glazing on Boracay. Greenfields so no old mastic to remove.

I did templates and took them to my local supplier to cut out of 6mm.

They did a nice neat job. Took me a couple of days to realize they'd used 4.5mm. I should have written 6mm in large letters on the templates.

I'm going to try butyl mastic. Anyone any thoughts.
I used butylmastic on my last boat.Not very successfully. Recently I had the opportunity to watch the professionals in action.
They first positioned the window over the opening and traced outline on the cabin side.
They then neatly masked with tape, along that traced outline. Next they primed the surfaces with a Sika product.
Double sided tape was applied to the cabin side around the perimeter of the opening (this clean cut foam-like surface presents on the inside of the cabin and keeps the gooey sika adhesive out).
An appropriate sized bead of Sika adhesive (not sure of the type) is carefully applied to the cabin beside the taped area. The perspex is carefully alligned and then pressed against the tape and Sika. Another small bead of Sika is run around the outside edge of the perspex window if required to fill any gaps.
Using a small flexible radiused scraper the excess Sika is removed before, finally removing the masking tape.

That's it as I recall, but please jump in, anyone who can see anything I missed.
Old 03-04-2011, 08:44   #6
********* Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Replacing Acrylic Windows

We took all the acrylic stuff out, and put in tempered glass all round - they work a treat - stronger and don't scratch.

SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 09:56   #7

Boat: 1988 Brewer Three Seas 40' Pilothouse

Sika 295 is the best sealant to use on plexi, polycarb or glass. I just rebedded the leaky polycarb pilothouse windows on our boat last year prior to our very wet winter and it worked great. They use it for windows in high rise buildings and it's specifically recommended for marine use. I sand the part of the polycarb where the sealant will be to give better adhesion.

Bonding of Safety, Laminated, and Insulation Glass Windows
jrd22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 17:22   #8

Boat: Westsail 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saucy Sailoress View Post
We took all the acrylic stuff out, and put in tempered glass all round - they work a treat - stronger and don't scratch.
I agree totally. Tempered glass is the way to go if possible. For offshore I prefer smaller opening ports with glass and storm covers as you only need one freak wave to cave in a large window to ruin your whole day. But it's not an ideal world and we all have different boats and needs so getting the best adhesive product and the right thickness of plexi/acrylic is next best option.
Old 06-04-2011, 12:13   #9

Boat: L 34

Hi Sailorman, I sent a PM but no reply. If you're still out there, I would greatly appreciate those O'Day Recomendations. Send to littleretreat@telkomsa.net Thanks.
Old 06-04-2011, 12:35   #10
Commercial Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Searunner 34 Trimaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by holmek View Post
Please direct me to a thread if one exists. I am planning to replace the acrylic cabin windows on my O'Day40. I am using Perspex because polycarb is not available any thicker than 4mm in South Africa. I thought of scraping off as best as possible the old sealant, sticking on a narrow strip of double-sided tape to give me a spacer between the Perspex and the cabin side, then squirting in a bead of Sikaflex295uv inside and outside.Anyone tackled this job? Any comments welcome. Thks.
There have been numerous past threads on this, some in which I gave detailed fabrication & installation instructions. It is a pretty complex and exacting subject... Works well if done right, always fails if you don't. Look up "past posts by Mark Johnson" to find it if you're interested. M.

Tags
acrylic

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: