Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-07-2016, 15:35   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Replacing 43 Year Old Opening Portlights

I recently finished replacing my 12 fixed portlights port and starboard, but my two aft portlights must be opening to allow aft cabin ventilation at anchor.

With the start of this day I was just planning to replace the gasket, but a careless move with a mallet while knocking out the pin holding the lens on my 43 year old portlight resulting in cracking off the hinge assembly. I'm opting to replace these two aft portlights.

I'm thinking that my best choice would be to replace these with the originals that will fit the same footprint and served well for so long. When I was examining the pieces of my removed portlight I found the manufacturer's label.

What a surprise! My portlights were made by an iconic company that was known for "door to door" sales in the 1950's in the USA. I was amazed,- My portlights were made by the... Fuller Brush Company!

Fuller Marine Portlights are still in production in Kansas and I'm buying a pair of new ones! I feel like I'm holding true to a pair of classic antiques!
Old 28-07-2016, 16:17   #2

Boat: Cabo Rico 45 build #005
Send a message via Skype™ to stevec195
Re: Replacing 43 Year Old Opening Portlights

The time you spend removing, prepping and installing will be close to 10 hours a hole. So go on and get something nice like a new found metal bronze or stainless unit.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
stevec195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2016, 16:20   #3

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38

Darn... I hoped you were posting a "how I did it" thread. We want to replace somenof our 40 year old, fixed, portlights with opening. But now I just want to go brush my hair....
Nice find though!
Old 28-07-2016, 16:28   #4

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevec195 View Post
The time you spend removing, prepping and installing will be close to 10 hours a hole. So go on and get something nice like a new found metal bronze or stainless unit.

10 hours a hole to remove and replace with same?!?! You must make a sloth proud!!

I removed fixed, enlarged holes and replaced with opening at around 3 hours a hole!

Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2016, 16:37   #5

10 hours would be a little extreme for sure, but it could happen, it's a boat after all!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2016, 17:00   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dreaming View Post
Darn... I hoped you were posting a "how I did it" thread. We want to replace somenof our 40 year old, fixed, portlights with opening. But now I just want to go brush my hair....
Nice find though!
I've posted a number of "how I did it" posts in the past. Maybe I can do some more, but my camera is broken. I'll just have to work with my cell phone.

I'm closer to sailmonkey with the port removal and prep time, but I will admit that I like the Newfound Metal Ports; however, I don't see any relationship between choosing the portlight you like and the labor time spent. Regardless of the time I spend working, I'll choose the portlights I'm most pleased with for the price.

For my surface area the plastic and thick acrylic that I've had for about five decades will perfectly match my plastic boat! Stainless steel and tempered glass doesn't really give me anything for the money with this application. These are about 7 x 14 inch portlights forward of my dinghy on davits.

Now I'm inspired to try the camera on my new phone!
Old 29-07-2016, 02:39   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevec195 View Post

I'm still not relating the choice of portlight to the labor time, but I reviewed the product sizes and prices for the Newfound Metals Portlights and you are right!

They are reasonably priced and they are well-designed. .....and I'll admit that they are very pretty. Maybe that Bronze 512B, as I notice it's a perfect fit for my cut out.

I'll give Nancie the stainless steel or bronze choice. Thanks, Steve, I like your advice.
Old 29-07-2016, 03:16   #8

Boat: Chesapeake Light Craft Passagemaker, Tyler Craft T42, and 9' RIB.

I've been replacing our old. worn, oxidized Grey Marine plastic portlights with NFM, I just finished number 10 yesterday and doing number 11 today. ( 6 more to go!)

They look and work great!

Expect the first to take about 4 hours. After the third one I can do them in about 2 and a half hours.

Make sure to watch the videos, be sure there is plenty of butyl in all those little gaps and that the portlight floats properly or you will have leaks.

Last - you may need to adjust the dogs in order for the window to seal properly. Once done, they seal very nice.
Ramblingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2016, 08:35   #9

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson Force View Post
I'm still not relating the choice of portlight to the labor time, but I reviewed the product sizes and prices for the Newfound Metals Portlights and you are right!

They are reasonably priced and they are well-designed. .....and I'll admit that they are very pretty. Maybe that Bronze 512B, as I notice it's a perfect fit for my cut out.

I'll give Nancie the stainless steel or bronze choice. Thanks, Steve, I like your advice.
Newfound Metals are great and priced right. Just be aware that they use (oddly, for an American firm but no big whoop to this Canadian sailor) metric bolt sizes. They are also very careful with confirming orders. In this respect, they are, along with Garhauer, in my top tier of "go to" marine supply companies.

Oh, and here's "how I did it": http://alchemy2009.blogspot.ca/2010/...oundmetals.com

And

The world encompassed: Bright and butyl full
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2016, 08:41   #10

Boat: Gulfstar 37 Sloop

they are Port Townsend WA but are manufactured over seas. that's why metric...
artisanmach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 14:21   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I'm still waiting for my Newfound Metals Ports to arrive for fitting, but I've taken the opportunity to prepare my sites.

So, here's my temporary port for a few days...

'easy and cheap, but suspect for withstanding following seas! I'll post the update later.
Old 05-08-2016, 09:07   #12

Boat: Chesapeake Light Craft Passagemaker, Tyler Craft T42, and 9' RIB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson Force View Post
I'm still waiting for my Newfound Metals Ports to arrive for fitting, but I've taken the opportunity to prepare my sites.

So, here's my temporary port for a few days...

'easy and cheap, but suspect for withstanding following seas! I'll post the update later.
Are you getting the template too?

You will need to route out the drip ledge/spigot too.
Ramblingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 15:09   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramblingman View Post

Yes..... & yes,- no surprises.
Old 07-08-2016, 20:04   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramblingman View Post

Oh, I think I understand now,- I had to come back to this because I didn't understand your post before. Theses are not my cut-outs for my Newfound Metals Portlights. These are just the voids left after removing my old Fuller Brush Company portlights.

When my new portlights and template arrives, then I'll cut out a slightly larger footprint and the spigots. I am close on the bottom edge, but I'll fit it right. Thanks!

By "preparing my sites", I was just speaking of taking out the old ports and cleaning the area. I filled the old screw holes and painted the boundry.
Old 25-08-2016, 05:10   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Finished!

...time to move to the next project.

Tags
portlights