Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-09-2014, 13:38   #1

Boat: 1968 Columbia 50
Repaired broken Mast

I am considering making an offer on a 1968 sailboat that had the original SparCraft mast snap after a wooden spreader broke, and it was repaired with an inner riveted sleeve and the break was then welded. This happened quite some time in the past with no issues since then.

Should I have serious concerns about the mast for the long term?? I might consider replacement if the seller agrees to concessions and a surveyor saying that it's no longer viable.

This is a 62' +/- spar, I would replace the boom anyways as it was shortened significantly for racing PHRF in the past.

How much would it cost for a total rigging replacement, standing rigging included?? I have no idea at this point, any input would be appreciated.
Old 23-09-2014, 15:40   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.
Re: Repaired broken Mast

It really depends. I know that's not the answer you want, but there are a lot of variables to take into account. The size of the mast extrusion (diameter and wall thickness as well as length). The complexity of the standing rigging, shipping to where the boat is, size of the wire, compatibility of existing hardware, if the extrusion you have is even made... The list just goes on and on.

The only good answer is to call a rigger and have it priced. For a smaller boat (say <30) it very well could be more than the entire boat is worth.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2014, 16:00   #3

Boat: Irwin 40

If done right there should be no issue with this. Sounds like the seller is being up front. If you are that worried I would have a spar guy look at it or pass on this boat. Replacement rig for a 62' mast 20-30k but that is a guess not knowing anything about the boat and assuming a normal rig
sailvayu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2014, 16:27   #4

Boat: 1968 Columbia 50

The CO is pretty upfront about it, once I asked him...a little more info on the boat, it is listed at 1968 Columbia 50 sailboat for sale in Washington. It is a '68 Columbia 50. it is rigged right now with removable forestay, and dual running backs, in addition to the backstay, for strength. It needs some work, no holding tanks, shortened boom for racing, needs all new running, incl. chainplates ,some deck work, and the usual suspects of nagging small maintenance...

I don't mind a project, but costs to purchase, ship from Wa. to Michigan, rigging, and all else will leave me in a monetary quandary..that said it is pure eye candy to me.
Old 23-09-2014, 16:32   #5

Boat: Irwin 40

Hell we don't do this crap because it makes sense we do because we cannot help it lol
Old boats can be a bit like a stray puppy we know better but do it anyway
sailvayu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2014, 18:13   #6

Boat: Bristol 29

I would think you could find something in better shape for less than $62k
Sun and Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2014, 19:51   #7

Boat: Boatless in Seattle. Ex- Alberg 30, 30’ Gillnetter, 63’ Wm. Hand Ketch, 36’ Lapwor

You could call Northwest Rigging in Anacortes to get a second opinion on the mast. I'll bet a replacement with new material, masthead, rigging, spreaders, etc could easily hit $35k+.. probably you don't need to replace it...

BTW, as an alternative, there is a nice looking 41' Rhodes Bounty II for sale at around $47k in Port Angelus, wa. It's been on and off craigslist this summer, now also with a broker on yachtworld. I talked to the owner over the phone, but haven't seen the boat in person.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Glenn.Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mast