Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-04-2011, 06:32   #1

Boat: Cape Dory
Repair to Mast Heel

I am preparing to restep my keel; stepped mast and have found one side wall of the mast is pitted in the bottom 2 inches (the pitting is on the interior walls of the mast and is concentrated on one side wall but is significant -- 50% intrusion -- over an area approx 2"x2" the forward edge and the track / trailing edge are both very solid the other sidewall has very minor pitting).

So far, I wire brushed and then primed both the mast and the mast step fitting with etching primer. My fear is that the mast could jar in rough weather and that some portion of the heel might shatter where it is pitted (and then the mast would become unstable).

It has been suggested that I glass over the exterior for the bottom 4-6" (wrap with glass tape and resin). What do you think of this solution??? The alternative would be to cut the bottom 4" off the mast and try to find something which could be welded in its place.

Thansk for any suggestions and comments on the proposed solution!

-M
Mambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2011, 09:33   #2

Also need supplier for big rubber grommets / bushings

I also need to find somewhere to buy grommets or bushings to protect the wires exiting the mast. The marine suppliers seem to stop at 3/4" grommets and the electrical suppliers want to sell you 1000 at a time!!! Any suggestions for protecting the wires exiting the mast?
Old 18-04-2011, 11:33   #3

Boat: Islander 37 'Taku Wind'
Re: Repair to Mast Heel

I had the same problem. I just cut off 2" of the mast and bolted a 2" riser plate to where the mast steped. End problem...
Old 18-04-2011, 15:23   #4

Re: Repair to Mast Heel

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonrsn View Post
I had the same problem. I just cut off 2" of the mast and bolted a 2" riser plate to where the mast steped. End problem...
Thanks. Unfortunately, raising the maststep plate 2" would put it in contact with the bottom of the cabin sole. I could raise it 6" or more -- but that would place it in the cabin (I'd rather avoid that too if possible).

Any thoughts on the proposed glassing or the bottom few inches?

Tags
mast