Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-01-2017, 14:55   #1

Boat: Wauquiez Hood 38
repair fiberglass keel in Florida?

I've developed small leak where internally ballasted keel fares into hull. The ballast is iron and the repair has potential to become complicated. Can anyone suggest a good boat yard in Florida capable of repair and possible rebuild of fiberglass keel. Boat is in Key West, but I am going to move her to either east or west coast of Florida, depending on where I can find a well qualified boat yard. Thanks for any suggestions. Tom
Tom1340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2017, 06:15   #2

Re: repair fiberglass keel in Florida?

You might try Pittman Marine in Tarpon Springs. I have hauled out there and they did the last bottom job on my boat. They get great reviews on active captain.
WSMFP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2017, 09:16   #3

Boat: Wauquiez Hood 38
Re: repair fiberglass keel in Florida?

Thanks for response WSMFP. I contacted Pittman Marine. They were not immediatly familiar with my keel type (internally ballasted, with centerboard). They are going to research it before deciding if they are comfortable with the project.
I also spoke with Bob and Annie's yard near Coral Gables. They seemed to understand the issues and look well qualified for the project. I'm a little concerned that their rail system may not be as versatile as a travel lift, if complications require repositioning the boat during repair.
I would welcome any other recommendations on Florida boat yards able to take on complex fiberglass repair.
Tom1340 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fiberglass, florida, keel